Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 25/12/2018 at 11:14, Dave J said:

You must also factor in that Bruce meddled in the championship - you know the division that he's an expert in getting out of - or so they say.

Yup. Easily one of the worst if you consider the division, the facilities and budgets he operated with relative to the division, and the utter utter piss poor hoofball he had us playing. I can't think of one manager I felt worse about. Total shithouse. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

Fair one - the bit about Smith's haul being dissaponting lent itself to a form of criticism - I apologise for this👍🏻

Dave, just because you say that and it is disappointing in a way,when we so easily could have avoided dropping points,  but understandable imo, because we are not quite there, in all aspects of our play.

We can all make observations....but they don't necessarily mean a direct criticism of the manager.

Individual Errors are very difficult for any manager to stop without surgery.

Coaching can only take you so far...as Pepe is highlighting right now.....players have to do their bit.

Wonder if with rumours of Karanka about to be ditched, he'll hold on for a bit longer (he's having yet another Holiday so that's why he hasn't been confirmed at Sheff Weds) and see if Forest consider him.

Their squad is better than what Wednesday have got.

20 hours ago, TRO said:

Wasn't really talking about that Dave, I was talking about criticising Bruce and naturally his son comes to his aid.....The hand that feeds has a responsibility to act civil too...its called common courtesy.

He is gone, why do folk feel it necessary to prolong it?....is it just playing to the gallery?

and as for the last line....Personally I would never hide behind my season ticket to give criticism or abuse to a manager.....If I give it out,in a certain manner, I would expect it back, in a certain manner.

There are proper channels to express our criticisms to the club with regards to their manager and then they reserve the right to act or ignore them.

We are customers, its not our job to tell them how to run their business, all we can do is express our dissatisfaction in the service we receive.

Probably because some seem to be imitating the reason we're not well in the top 6 currently is Dean Smith hasn't won enough games!

Of course factually true but just look at the opposition both managers have faced this season.

Said it before but the reason Norwich are clear of many in second is they've pretty much beaten all the bottom half teams home and away...that's what you need to do for automatic promotion.

Even last season we weren't that great against teams around us, lost to Cardiff, Wolves an Fulham all comfortably away after all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Probably because some seem to be imitating the reason we're not well in the top 6 currently is Dean Smith hasn't won enough games!

Of course factually true but just look at the opposition both managers have faced this season.

Said it before but the reason Norwich are clear of many in second is they've pretty much beaten all the bottom half teams home and away...that's what you need to do for automatic promotion.

Even last season we weren't that great against teams around us, lost to Cardiff, Wolves an Fulham all comfortably away after all.

Dean Smith has done very well since his arrival and yes it will take him time to get it the way he likes it.

For sure the football spectacle is more endearing and we have more fans now from outside B6.

For me, If I am being brutally honest, despite me seeing the changes, certain things are still there.....I don't think Dean will eradicate them until he changes personnel particularly at the back and possibly one in midfield.

IMO Dean can't get it right in such a short space of time and without new recruits.....but what he has done so far has been marvellous.

Just noticed that if Bruce takes the Wednesday job before the new year, his first three league fixtures will be against sha, Hull and Wigan :D

But I guess the chances of running into an ex or three increases when you’ve been around the block once or twice.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave, just because you say that and it is disappointing in a way,when we so easily could have avoided dropping points,  but understandable imo, because we are not quite there, in all aspects of our play.

We can all make observations....but they don't necessarily mean a direct criticism of the manager.

Individual Errors are very difficult for any manager to stop without surgery.

Coaching can only take you so far...as Pepe is highlighting right now.....players have to do their bit.

Of course - but with the right coaching over a consistent period of time, players are less likely to make the same basic mistakes and the fundamental difference between a Bruce team and a Smith team is this:-

Smith's players make mistakes trying to play the game in the right manner - Bruce's teams do what they do.

On 26/12/2018 at 08:50, VillaAlex said:

His son is now liking several tweets from SHA fans about how he liked it there more and tweets trying to belittle us. Pathetic really. 

Nothing surprises me in football anymore - and to think we employed him on good money.

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Nothing surprises me in football anymore - and to think we employed him on good money.

He made it quite clear....it was his best job.

Lets move on.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He made it quite clear....it was his best job.

Lets move on.

I didn't realise he had said this - which makes the original post even more bizarre - why on earth bite the hand that feeds ? It can only end one way TRO 

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder if with rumours of Karanka about to be ditched, he'll hold on for a bit longer (he's having yet another Holiday so that's why he hasn't been confirmed at Sheff Weds) and see if Forest consider him.

Well if he rocks up - that won't count for much 

On 27/12/2018 at 16:15, VillaChris said:

If he rocks up at Forest I might have another 9 month absence from Villatalk, this time I’ll be doing time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We play sheff wed on sat 6th April subject to TV changes.

that should give smith plenty of time to get the new signings in and the team clicking. Also should Bruce plenty of time getting Wednesday playing hoof ball.

Can’t wait for us to absolutely batter them. 

@TRO sorry - I have bought this back on topic.

Good post to be fair to you - although I would say this.

You are as guilty as anyone of keeping this thread going, which incidently is totally fine  for a little while yet.

I do think it's a little unfair to suggest that I and others gloss over the turmoil of this summer - especially when the reason we faced such turmoil is because the guy you choose to defend - quite frankly did not deliver his objectives over the two previous seasons - yes the margins were tight but ultimately it made not a jot of difference.

If we had gone up as we should have imo - we would not have faced the same issues.

I would add that this may not been the complete answer to our problems  - but as you say we would have been able to " pay the gas bill"

For me TRO I can only look back on his tenure with feelings of boredom, a massive feeling of being underwhelmed, and his indifference to the hand that feeds.

He wasn't doing us a favour by being here. Not sure he felt the same.

Good post though TRO👍🏻

56 minutes ago, Dave J said:

@TRO sorry - I have bought this back on topic.

Good post to be fair to you - although I would say this.

You are as guilty as anyone of keeping this thread going, which incidently is totally fine  for a little while yet.

I do think it's a little unfair to suggest that I and others gloss over the turmoil of this summer - especially when the reason we faced such turmoil is because the guy you choose to defend - quite frankly did not deliver his objectives over the two previous seasons - yes the margins were tight but ultimately it made not a jot of difference.

If we had gone up as we should have imo - we would not have faced the same issues.

I would add that this may not been the complete answer to our problems  - but as you say we would have been able to " pay the gas bill"

For me TRO I can only look back on his tenure with feelings of boredom, a massive feeling of being underwhelmed, and his indifference to the hand that feeds.

He wasn't doing us a favour by being here. Not sure he felt the same.

Good post though TRO👍🏻

Thanks Dave

Dave....for some this thread is becoming a life support machine for any Aston Villa ills....It appears to be an effigy of the man....quite frankly its a distraction from the good football Dean is offering.

You make reference to the spectacle of football of boredom and being underwhelmed, well it may come as a surprise, but you were not on your own....those comments make sense, but inevitably with some they are wrapped up in a package that includes stuff that is debatable and unfair.

It was his own undoing that we lost that final, but it was not his undoing that we mortgaged everything to do it and subsequently decimated the squad, the "Mess" as some describe it, was not all entirely his doing, but I guess that doesn't fit the agenda.

I know you major on the negatives of his comments to a small section of fans and I am not going to defend that, but frustration rares its ugly head in ways that are misguided...I would fancy he regrets that now....

I guess, If i respond, I have to take responsibility for keeping it alive yes....but not to claim the moral high ground here, but if I thought there was no justice to a degree, I wouldn't respond.

I am not going to write a manuscript of his tenure, but he still left us some good players and I am sure Dean Smith would tell you so too.

There are things/criticisms written about Steve Bruce that are on the money and some IMO wide of the mark.

Fans have there views,on this subject, they are not going change on this subject and I am not going to change mine, but I will tell you something Dave, If the same happens to Dean Smith in the fullness of time, I will defend him against what I see as injustice on selected issues too.

Edited by TRO

Â