Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

The past year has probably made him think of some of the things he’d like to do on a personal level, so I get why he’d want to put work to one side. 

Having said that, he has just had three months off. Whether the club is fine with it or not, as a fan, if it came out that our new manager wasn’t interested in taking the job until he watched the cricket, I’d be questioning how much his heart would be in the job. Bruce or anyone.

Presumably there won’t be any “couldn’t wait to get started” spiel in his opening interview. Because he literally could wait.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is pathetic? I don't understand (apart from anyone watching to pay the world's most boring sport being pathetic anyway)

He doesn't work for them yet. If they offered it to him and he said "yeah but I can't start until February" then I don't see what the issue is.

They could have said no and gone with someone else.

Because that's 4 weeks away. The transfer window shuts, they could lose all their games and be fighting relegation yet he wants to start 4 weeks from now to watch cricket.  That's ridiculous.

Imagine that were to happen when we sacked bruce? Smith says ok great but I'll start in 4 weeks once I've stuffed my fave and watched a bit if cricket in the sun.

• Like 2

If I were bothered about it, I would blame the football club for agreeing to appoint him. 

I have a 100% record of not cancelling holidays that I have pre-booked before taking a job, and I would be interested if anyone here has honestly done otherwise. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Since he doesn't do tactics or training's or wont have to scout players due to his little black book and no millions to spend I don't really see the issue.

He is going to the cricket to study Joe Root tactics

He will be signing a wicket keeper instead of a sweeper keeper and giving Barry Bannan a bat to hoof the ball further

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because that's 4 weeks away. The transfer window shuts, they could lose all their games and be fighting relegation yet he wants to start 4 weeks from now to watch cricket.  That's ridiculous.

Imagine that were to happen when we sacked bruce? Smith says ok great but I'll start in 4 weeks once I've stuffed my fave and watched a bit if cricket in the sun.

If I cared, which I wouldn't, then I'd be annoyed at the club.

It's not like Bruce has forced them to appoint him. He's obviously made plans, then they've come along and offered him a job which he's accepted on the condition he can start in Feb.

The club must be happy with this otherwise they'd appoint someone else.

It's more faux outrage just because it's Steve Bruce. 

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

It's not outrage, I just find it funny.

and it's re-enforcing the picture a lot of us has of Bruce as someone who isn't really that interested in football anymore, but is still more than happy to sit around doing f all picking up money via another job for the boys.

(I'd love to do that as well tbh)

If you compare that to Bielsa when he was appointed at Leeds where he even had a bed and kitchen installed at his office so he could stay late and study every minute detail about the club, players and even the length of the grass.

The attention to detail compared to put on yer boots is just staggering.

It's nonsense though isn't it.

Steve Bruce not taking a job until he's fulfilled a prior engagement doesn't show he's not interested in football and happy to sit around doing nothing an picking up a cheque. You've just invented that.

And nobody but Bielsa does what Bielsa does. So does that make every other manager in the world a slacker? 

It's a non story.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's nonsense though isn't it.

Steve Bruce not taking a job until he's fulfilled a prior engagement doesn't show he's not interested in football and happy to sit around doing nothing an picking up a cheque. You've just invented that.

And nobody but Bielsa does what Bielsa does. So does that make every other manager in the world a slacker? 

It's a non story.

It's a fun story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is pathetic? I don't understand (apart from anyone watching to pay the world's most boring sport being pathetic anyway)

He doesn't work for them yet. If they offered it to him and he said "yeah but I can't start until February" then I don't see what the issue is.

They could have said no and gone with someone else.

Are you being serious ?

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If I cared, which I wouldn't, then I'd be annoyed at the club.

It's not like Bruce has forced them to appoint him. He's obviously made plans, then they've come along and offered him a job which he's accepted on the condition he can start in Feb.

The club must be happy with this otherwise they'd appoint someone else.

It's more faux outrage just because it's Steve Bruce. 

You would care, of course you would. We would have no manager in place so who would address our transfer issues in defence that we have if smith said I'll start in Feb. Yes i agree I would be annoyed at the club. But for me I would think it would be a stupid appointment and I'd question his commitment of he would rather watch cricket than manage my club esp as an ex manager of a rival club. 

It's possible that he is having a knee operation and was going to watch the cricket while recuperating.  It's up to Sheffield Wednesday as to whether they are willing to wait if they think he's the right man.  Personally I wouldn't touch Bruce with someone else's bargepole if I was in charge of a football club because he is so behind the times even at Championship level, so all this would be irrelevant anyway.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You would care, of course you would. We would have no manager in place so who would address our transfer issues in defence that we have if smith said I'll start in Feb. Yes i agree I would be annoyed at the club. But for me I would think it would be a stupid appointment and I'd question his commitment of he would rather watch cricket than manage my club esp as an ex manager of a rival club. 

100% agree. 

Love all these comments about Bruce having some sort of press hareem. Didn't a load of people accuse Sherwood, DOL and MON of the same once they left (of course we had to bleet on about what awful people they were when they left too). I don't see this press/media Bruce love-in others see other than a couple of his former teammates which is understandable isn't it? He's also a fairly likeable bloke IMO regardless of whether he's a good football manager.Why wouldn't Sheff Wed be seeing the Glass Half-full with Bruce's appointment - 99% of our fans did too - given his promotion track record - which hasn't really changed in anyone's mind.

FWIW I was 'informed' at the home game v Preston that Bruce categorically wouldn't be taking the Sheff. Wed job - apparently taken directly from a conversation between Bruce and Tom Ross. It wouldn't suprise me if Bruce ruled himself out but Sheff Wed have pursued him as their #1 target and making allowances.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I really don't think I would. And if I did then it would be the club I was angry at, not the manager.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He doesn’t train players yet we had one of the strongest defences in the league and best record of any team for holding on to leads. I wonder how the players managed that without any training. The same players that are now leaking goals like there’s no tomorrow. 

John Terry....

• Like 1

Â