Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Well he said he is staying, if he is wanted.

I think its an absolute banker he will stay.....he is best placed to over see the transition that is needed.

Also when Gray ,Deehan and Gidman left we thought it was the end of the world......it turned out be just the beginning.

The kids will be one more year matured....an additional powerful centre half, a similar leader of the line  up front and we will be fine.

Transition to what?

I'm in two minds about Bruce.

There's no doubt he's had a good season, we missed out by a whisker to the better team on the day and the table doesn't lie. We  finished 4th and where the 4th beat team in the league I truly believe. He's installed a great atmosphere and made some great signings.

My biggest concern is the way we play. If you look at fulham they where the better side and played with a style of football that id happily see villa play. For a long time now we seem somewhat clueless in link up play going forward, we get results based on individual performances. This seems to be the Bruce way.

I want to see Green, Davis, Ohare, Bree all come into the squad next year but is Bruce the guy to manage them.. I'm not so sure. The guy at Brentford wouldn't be a bad shout. Ollie Watkins there is an ex exeter city player and he's shining, a youth product. Dean Smith seems to work well with youngsters.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

There's no doubt he's had a good season, we missed out by a whisker to the better team on the day and the table doesn't lie. We  finished 4th and where the 4th beat team in the league I truly believe. He's installed a great atmosphere and made some great signings.

My biggest concern is the way we play. If you look at fulham they where the better side and played with a style of football that id happily see villa play. For a long time now we seem somewhat clueless in link up play going forward, we get results based on individual performances. This seems to be the Bruce way.

I want to see Green, Davis, Ohare, Bree all come into the squad next year but is Bruce the guy to manage them.. I'm not so sure. The guy at Brentford wouldn't be a bad shout. Ollie Watkins there is an ex exeter city player and he's shining, a youth product. Dean Smith seems to work well with youngsters.

The great atmosphere he’s installed has been greatly aided by terry and snoddy who have both now gone . 

‘Let’s hope the attitude they helped instil will continue next season . 

16 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

Smith if he came maybe able to get hogan firing again - an interesting option . 

12 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

This is where I am pretty much am with bruce, the professionalism and work ethic he has installed is brilliant and he deserves a lot of credit for turning that around. 

Style of play worries me, not that we haven’t played well because in some games we have, but when we go a goal down we rarely look like coming back into the game. On Saturday we barely tested the keeper and all bruce could do was throw on strikers. 

I’ve said it before but we should only get rid of Bruce if we are bringing in better. I see the likes of Smith and Johnson being discussed and they both scare me. Whilst not the bright star we used to be (and don’t have the money to attract a manager from the premier league), we have seen the size of the club really daunt some players and managers. I’d worry if the two names above could cope with pressure.

For me if we did get rid of bruce I’d be going for Rodgers. He has done everything possible at Celtic (champions league is never an option). He is unlikely to get a top job in England again without proving himself back down here. Money wise we probably could compete with Celtic. He plays good football and can handle large clubs. Plus if he wanted to bring dembele with him I wouldn’t mind.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

This is where I am pretty much am with bruce, the professionalism and work ethic he has installed is brilliant and he deserves a lot of credit for turning that around. 

Style of play worries me, not that we haven’t played well because in some games we have, but when we go a goal down we rarely look like coming back into the game. On Saturday we barely tested the keeper and all bruce could do was throw on strikers. 

I’ve said it before but we should only get rid of Bruce if we are bringing in better. I see the likes of Smith and Johnson being discussed and they both scare me. Whilst not the bright star we used to be (and don’t have the money to attract a manager from the premier league), we have seen the size of the club really daunt some players and managers. I’d worry if the two names above could cope with pressure.

For me if we did get rid of bruce I’d be going for Rodgers. He has done everything possible at Celtic (champions league is never an option). He is unlikely to get a top job in England again without proving himself back down here. Money wise we probably could compete with Celtic. He plays good football and can handle large clubs. Plus if he wanted to bring dembele with him I wouldn’t mind.

There is no way Brendan Rodgers is leaving Celtic for villa - we are a championship club with no money to spend.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

Rodgers' last  job before going up and smashing the SPL (expected at that club, admittedly), was a decent spell at Liverpool, which followed a brilliant job at Swansea

He's not managed in the Championship since 2011. Why the **** would you think he'd need to prove himself in this division? It's delusional to think we could attract Rogers. He's not walking in to a job at a top 4 club, but pretty much any other club in the league would consider him a decent hire. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

I agree it maybe had to be a step up. Rogers would be that, not sure what other options there would be so maybe Bruce is the best option.

Wolves Fulham and Huddersfield found managers in European market to get up and I’m sure there are more out there - it is down to round and co to find the right man .

certainly there must be better options available than Bruce 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

I agree it maybe had to be a step up. Rogers would be that, not sure what other options there would be so maybe Bruce is the best option.

Bruce is the safe option, not sure that's the best. 

We need a new strategy and with that a new manager to implement it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Bruce is the safe option, not sure that's the best. 

We need a new strategy and with that a new manager to implement it. 

Have you had a change of heart then DCJ? Thought you were of the opinion that Bruce should stay - just about.

Not disagreeing with that, people can change their view. Just asking.

I’m at a loss to be honest, I worry about another season with Bruce and I also worry about another season of transition of a new manager and staff.

Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that Bruce has to go now. He has had 2 seasons and a pile of transfer cash to assemble probably the biggest and best squad in the Championship and he has failed miserably. How the hell is he likely to succeed in getting us up with a depleted squad and depleted funds!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Bruce, Pulis, Fat Sam, Moyes etc.. all on a list of managers I wouldn't touch unless a time machine was invented and hoofball/defensive football came into fashion again.

Its 2018, lets get a coach in who has some idea of how to play football. This season has consisted of getting the ball to Grealish and hoping he does something and if that fails kick it in the air and down the pitch.

It's not about hoofball, more about a lack of creativity and a negativity - we give too much respect to the opposition. We sit back and rely on a moment of magic, instead of is by what we have to force the game and take control. 

24 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Have you had a change of heart then DCJ? Thought you were of the opinion that Bruce should stay - just about.

Not disagreeing with that, people can change their view. Just asking.

I’m at a loss to be honest, I worry about another season with Bruce and I also worry about another season of transition of a new manager and staff.

My opinion keeps shifting. I'm not 100% sure, i won't be devastated if he does stay and we have a similar approach. 

I'm probably leaning towards a new style of football being needed and I don't think bruce is the man to do that. 

It's a close one, ultimately he failed but being fair we were probably one decent half from really being close.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, macandally said:

It’s a question of having a plan and the mindset to stick with it.  Wolves plan was to buy from Portugal and implement a brand of football, it worked.  Fulham stuck with it after falling at the last hurdle last year and deservedly benefitted.  Cardiff played the football that their players dictated, but were well drilled and worked hard at it.

We were the worst combination, have no brand of football, dependent upon moments of magic, with a very good (but ageing) squad and no overall plan.  We didn’t buy players to fit a system (look at Hogan), we didn’t seem to plan to a blueprint (Round should be sacked right now) and we would have likely blown cash left right and centre if we had gone up.  Insanity is repeating the mistakes of the past and we keep bloody doing it!,

We are into a longer game now and the plan should reflect that, we need a young and ambitious director of football to define that blueprint, we need an ambitious CEO (who was the fella at Southampton?) and a young, driven Manager.  We are haemorrhaging money whilst having a piss poor plan. 

Post of the week 

• Like 1

Â