Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As I’ve suggested previously, I don’t think we’ve a choice or much of one financially. Sticking with him may also represent our best chance of promotion rather than making another change.

But I’m far from impressed with his performance as manager or his dire, dire football.

I think the best we can hope for is that up under him and sack him as soon as it’s achieved.

Interesting - if you see what Ive posted about our finances in the Xia thread. I really don't think we have the financial clout some think.

Brucies Job was to get us up - it was never going to be pretty - but glance at last seasons relegated teams, newcastle aside - all of them are floundering.  I think we should be doing better - but replacing Bruce would most likley mean an out of work manager - none currently inspire. So Im just hoping bruce can grind us to the championship.

13 hours ago, bobzy said:

How does the manager shoulder blame for players not playing the way he wants them to? When Hourihane passes straight to Jota did you think “oh **** sake Steve, why is Conor doing that?”.

We haven’t been playing “hoofball” for the past few games. If he wanted us to play that way, he wouldn’t have setup with one striker and a 5-man midfield.

Off course Bruce isn't to blame for the individual errors or mistakes in the games, but he is largely responsible for the overall play, which is boring, frustrating to watch and not really attack minded in any sense. He is responsible for the way players move and run in the games, the pattern of play, the way they deliver the ball in the box for crosses, corners, free kicks, how they pass to each other and move, responsible for the players not running into the channels between the CB and LB/RB, for defending with our forwards in our own half, for not pushing forward fast enough when we get the ball forward, for not pressing 3-6 sec- after loosing the ball, for Kodjia and Onomah not releasing the ball fast enough to players in better positions etc...and i could keep on...

Im glad for the points that we have gotten, but Steve Bruce just seems to not have a clue about what he is doing, and thats just my opinion...

• Like 3

Could understand the change in formation v Fulham as they are a very good passing side and we needed that extra midfielder , however at blues we should have reverted to 442 and taken the game more to them .

Hopefully we revert back to 442 this week and get back to playing with Davis up front whose hold up play brings others  into the game .

Yesterday the game was crying out for a change at half time and when Bruce finally made the change it should have been omomah first to get the hook .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

Not the man for the job for me, we still have absolutely no identity as a football team and no style of play. 

We were chasing shadows at times against blues while they were playing passing football. 

Hes getting results but i just cant see what the long term plan is, even if we did go up we would be absolutely hammered every week unless the Dr. was willing to spend 50 million plus once we got there,

Give him this season and if we don't go up i would move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Absolutely - he's not here for the long term, he's here to get us promoted and there's no doubt in my mind that we'd bin him off if we didn't go up this year. 

To be fair to bruce the obe thing i will give him credit for was bringibg jedinak on that was a smart move 

As orhers stated davis should have come on fir onomah at half time. I truely believe we woukd have won had we started with davis and kodjia up top 2nd half

Decent result in a tough game, could just as easily have won as we could have lost.

Aside from the one-on-one they missed, which we created for them, they didn't create much else whereas we hit the bar twice and their keeper made a good save to stop Kodjia's header.

If we keep winning home games and picking up points away we're on to a winner.

Hopefully we'll pick up three points at Preston, 4 points over those two games represents a solid return

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not the man for the job for me, we still have absolutely no identity as a football team and no style of play. 

We were chasing shadows at times against blues while they were playing passing football. 

Hes getting results but i just cant see what the long term plan is, even if we did go up we would be absolutely hammered every week unless the Dr. was willing to spend 50 million plus once we got there,

I think the “long term plan” is just to get results, isn’t it, like every other manager of a football team? So on that basis you should be happier than you seem to be.

Long term plans are for people like Tony Xia and Keith Wyness. If a manager is getting the team to play winning football I don’t think any more can be asked of him.

My concern with Bruce, like every one else’s I suspect, is whether we are  winning quite enough matches. Quite soon we need to go on a long, consistent run where we win most of our matches. We look quite close to that but it has yet to gel in quite the way we need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Decent result in a tough game, could just as easily have won as we could have lost.

Aside from the one-on-one they missed, which we created for them, they didn't create much else whereas we hit the bar twice and their keeper made a good save to stop Kodjia's header.

If we keep winning home games and picking up points away we're on to a winner.

Hopefully we'll pick up three points at Preston, 4 points over those two games represents a solid return

N’Doye missed a pretty basic header and Gallagher(?) missed a half chance after a shot was fired in. Either side could’ve won really. 

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think the “long term plan” is just to get results, isn’t it, like every other manager of a football team? So on that basis you should be happier than you seem to be.

Long term plans are for people like Tony Xia and Keith Wyness. If a manager is getting the team to play winning football I don’t think any more can be asked of him.

My concern with Bruce, like every one else’s I suspect, is whether we are  winning quite enough matches. Quite soon we need to go on a long, consistent run where we win most of our matches. We look quite close to that but it has yet to gel in quite the way we need.

I don't necessary disagree with what you have written but its very much up for debate.

Someone with a plan is someone who has an idea of how they want to play football and actually win games. E.g high pressing, good wing play, pass and move one touch play, things of that nature basically. For me the ultimate aim of any good football team is to play good possession football, at the end of the day the opposition cannot score when you have the ball. You could say that teams like Fulham pass it too much without an end product but i would say the formula is right but they are probably lacking the money and the quality players to fully execute it, we have the money and the players but no system to actually utilise them, im afraid i can only blame Steve Bruce for this, certainly not the Dr or Keith Wyness. 

If you can find me any team from any of the top European leagues that has either contested the league recently or had a good run in the champions league that generally just hoof the ball up the field and hope for the best or get 10 men behind the ball and pray to hang onto a lead then good luck to you. In my eyes it doesn't exist. Grinding out results doesn't win you leagues or get you promoted, sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture than just getting 3 points.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

We can scarcely afford to not go up this season. Chickens will well and truly come home to roost if we don't go up. Life will get very difficult indeed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

yes the defence of Bruce is relentless.

It really isn't. I don't see anyone go out of their way to praise him at all costs - just to give him credit for the things that gets right. 

I don't subscribe to the American media view of having to be one side or the other at all costs. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It really isn't. I don't see anyone go out of their way to praise him at all costs - just to give him credit for the things that gets right. 

I don't subscribe to the American media view of having to be one side or the other at all costs. 

I‘m a Grasshopper not the American Media.

Credit? Doesnt deserve any - Abysmal football scraping enough for self preservation.

Bruce Out

Â