Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Brentford held up a giant mirror yesterday and it reflected the shambles that is "Villa" football.

Brentford are a small club with no money at all. They have just had to sell their best three players in the last week of the transfer window, and yet they totally dominated us in front of an angry and embarrassed Villa Park crowd.

They didn't have to play brilliantly, they just had to do the basics properly. They passed and moved in support of each other. They got forward in numbers when they had the ball, and they pressed when they didn't have the ball.

They appeared fitter and much better organised than us.

Dean Smith said before the match that they'd spent the past couple of weeks bedding in five new players. Getting them used to the system, developing an awareness of where their team mates were going to be on the pitch with the ball and without the ball in relation to them etc etc. 

What did we do in the last couple of weeks? We were knackered and needed a well earned break according to Bruce.

We only had five players away on international duty, so we could have put in some valuable work on the training pitch with our large squad, but we decided not to.

Bruce complacently said he was delighted with our performances in the last two games and that he thought we'd played really good football going into the international break.

Brentford knew what they were doing yesterday, and it showed. Villa didn't have a clue, and it showed.

The buck stops with Bruce, Calderwood and Clemence .... Wyness and Round also need to have a damn good look in that "giant mirror" as well! 

Excellent post, and these two sentences exemplify exactly where we have a problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly it will be the fickle fans, 

To be fair mate half the Holte were signing Bruces name for most of the last home game after beating the mighty Wigan. 

Edited by av1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

To be fair mate half the Holte were signing Bruces name for most of the last home game after beating the mighty Wigan. 

Yes, the same fans near me shouting for Bruce to bring back the kids. Not realising or caring that it was a Wigan RESERVE TEAM.

Just listened to Leon Britton described how Paul Clement sorted out Swansea: "He basically ensured each player knew his job with and without the ball".  Really not hard is it, but do our players know?

Bruce?  Doesn't know his best team, doesn't know his best formation, doesn't do tactics or coach the team.  You have to wonder how an earth he has the balls to draw a wage.  What does he do?

Edited by macandally

The squad is good enough, there is more than enough talent to get ourselves at least challenging to get out of this league.

Since we have been in this league we have played teams with far less talent and experience, but the one thing they have is there players look fit, motivated and all know what they are doing, they look liked they are coached, they look like tactically they have been told what to do.

Bruce seems good at getting the right players together to do a job, but I believe he leaves all coaching, training and tactics to Calderwood and Clemence, neither of whom have a stellar history of success and judging by the way we play are obsessed with us 'not losing' rather than truly utilising the talent we have at our disposal.

Last season we seemed to over rely on Kodjia a maverick striker whose individual brilliance brought us goals, who struggles to play with other forwards. Plus Jed, who is the master of breaking up play and defensive positioning, but he can't pass 3 yds so again offers nothing in the way of tactical team play.

Bruce has bombed out the signings RDM made and hidden behind the lack of 'his' signings until he signed the league's best striker and midfielders. Next excuse, all the new signings need to gel, then we need more experience and we sign Whelan and Terry. Hats off to the man for managing to bring those in, but again he signs Josh who is an awesome player but with Conor and Lansbury not a player we should have needed.

We have ex Premiership players, we have some of the best Championship players out there and the best strikers in this league, plus some youth talent, yet we look utterly clueless and get shown up by any team that is capable of playing to the most basic tactics and organisation.

Terry and Whelan haven't taken the team forward in any way, defensively I would argue we looked better with Baker. We didn't need to swap Samba for Baker either.

I think Xia and most fans don't want to get rid of Bruce and his cronies and start all over again, because it's a never-ending circle of failure that we are all desperate to swap for stability. But Bruce has had long enough to show he is capable of turning this great club round and all I see is him continuing to sprinkle glitter over a turd.

Edited by VillanousOne

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

But how does that explain another throwback to a simpler time doing so well at Cardiff? 

He should be getting out thought and completely tonked by all these new progressive managers who see through his dinosaur tactics

Small sample size this season for Warnock and I doubt that Cardiff will last the course but from time to time things like that happen ( Leicester winning the PL is a similar example).

Bruce is not a terrible manager, he is good enough to be top ten but not good enough for promotion in my opinion. In this respect he is a dangerous man to be in post because his not-absolutely-crapness muddies the waters and means that he will remain in post much longer than is good for the club

it wouldn't surprise me if we had a better performance against Boro and that buys him another stay of execution. 

Its not beyond Bruce to take us on a decent run like last season, and all the Bruce-Inners will talk about him turning the corner but that would be a false dawn.

Good enough for top ten not good enough for promotion. 

Wyness, Round and Bruce need to go before we can think about PL again

22 minutes ago, macandally said:

Just listened to Leon Britton described how Paul Clement sorted out Swansea: "He basically ensured each player knew his job with and without the ball".  Really not hard is it, but do our players know?

Bruce?  Doesn't know his best team, doesn't know his best formation, doesn't do tactics or coach the team.  You have to wonder how an earth he has the balls to draw a wage.  What does he do?

This and quoting @villabromsgrove "Getting them used to the system, developing an awareness of where their team mates were going to be on the pitch with the ball and without the ball in relation to them etc etc. " is entirely the problem, it has been for ages, and it is coaching.

Sack Bruce now, get Dean Smith or Sousa for me. Just anyone who can coach the players we have into playing as a team. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Thats like worrying about the aftermath of an operation to remove cancer. 

Bruce is slowly killing any chance of promotion. Lets deal with the immediate danger and then worry about his replacement. 

Indeed, i just have no faith in Wyness being able to select the right manager.  

• Like 4

First game of the season for me yesterday, last one before that was blues at home. Both of them games are probably up there with the worst I have ever seen.

Won't be going back under Bruce but it's hardly surprising how this has gone. Has this team changed at all since he took over? Gone backwards if anything IMO. No structure, no system, no style of play and it shows.

Get rid ASAP.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I couldn't agree more. To not have been planning for the future would be a dereliction of duty. 

I know its not what @Latz was saying, but i have read, and heard (at yesterdays game) people saying 'Bruce is sh#t but we may aswell keep him because who would we replace him with'

That to me is a ridiculous attitude to have. 

I have heard and read the same and that's definitely not a reason to keep him.  I would also hope that they already have an eye on a replacement should they drop the axe.

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Small sample size this season for Warnock and I doubt that Cardiff will last the course but from time to time things like that happen ( Leicester winning the PL is a similar example).

Bruce is not a terrible manager, he is good enough to be top ten but not good enough for promotion in my opinion. In this respect he is a dangerous man to be in post because his not-absolutely-crapness muddies the waters and means that he will remain in post much longer than is good for the club

it wouldn't surprise me if we had a better performance against Boro and that buys him another stay of execution. 

Its not beyond Bruce to take us on a decent run like last season, and all the Bruce-Inners will talk about him turning the corner but that would be a false dawn.

Good enough for top ten not good enough for promotion. 

Wyness, Round and Bruce need to go before we can think about PL again

Xia needs to replace Wyness, in my opinion, before he will make any real progress, but that will be more difficult than replacing a manager.

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

This and quoting @villabromsgrove "Getting them used to the system, developing an awareness of where their team mates were going to be on the pitch with the ball and without the ball in relation to them etc etc. " is entirely the problem, it has been for ages, and it is coaching.

Sack Bruce now, get Dean Smith or Sousa for me. Just anyone who can coach the players we have into playing as a team. 

Many of us will be worried about changing manager, but I don't think either of these managers will do a worse job than Bruce.

Paulo Sousa is a good shout id throw Paulo Bento out there also.

My list would include those along with Jokanović, Stam, Clotet,  Murat Yakin, Markus Weinzierl, all attainable forward thinking young managers. 

Cant think of any young British managers other than Howe off the top of head who could be gettable (that's if their bad run continues btw) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

My list would include those along with Jokanović, Stam, Clotet,  Murat Yakin, Markus Weinzierl, all attainable forward thinking young managers. 

Cant think of any young British managers other than Howe off the top of head who could be gettable (that's if their bad run continues btw) 

There you go - lots of good shouts. They are out there. Copy and paste, Mr. Wyness. Scrap the piece of paper with Moyes, et al, on it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I think Smith is worth a gamble.

• Like 2

I see Bruce has thrown the young guys under the bus again. The last game it was Davis. This game it is Davis, Green and Onomah. A little bit cowardly, in my book. 

And, as for them being jaded - all 3 had an international break. If you are going to make up excuses, at least make them plausible.

Edited by AntrimBlack
  • Like 2

Â