Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sorry, I should have said "does he?" (maybe I've stopped thinking of David Moyes as human? :) )

What makes you think that David Moyes "fits what the club is looking for"?

Just from what Wyness was stating when giving the points of what they were looking for in a new manager before Bruce came in. Can't find it now but it was along the lines of experience ect.

I can't see why they would want to change this drastically now that they are trying to implement a 'villa way'!

35 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe xia realises this now himself and will take more of a hand in appointing the replacement - after all wyness and round have hardly done themselves any favours on current record - hopefully things will change and we will get the right appointment for once. 

The only problem there is that Xia chose RDM as manager when he first arrived so his manager-picking skills are hardly stellar.

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The only problem there is that Xia chose RDM as manager when he first arrived so his manager-picking skills are hardly stellar.

Maybe he will consult someone else in football , who knows - either way it needs to be right this time .

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I honestly think we'd be better off now, had we just stuck with RDM. That being said, it is almost impossible to know what Xia would choose now. I wouldn't trust Wyness though, unless we want another relic.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Just from what Wyness was stating when giving the points of what they were looking for in a new manager before Bruce came in. Can't find it now but it was along the lines of experience ect.

I can't see why they would want to change this drastically now that they are trying to implement a 'villa way'!

I think people often get "experience" mixed up with "proven experience".

Whether people like Bruce or not now, there's not many managers, if any, with more proven experience at this level than Bruce when we hired him. I think that's what the club were looking for at the time, and you can't really blame them.

I don't think Moyes fits that profile at all.

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I honestly think we'd be better off now, had we just stuck with RDM. That being said, it is almost impossible to know what Xia would choose now. I wouldn't trust Wyness though, unless we want another relic.

There was a lot of talk that moyes was first choice but turned us down and that's when RDM got the job - either way I think it's best to avoid moyes now .

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Been saying similar for a while. Our best chance of promotion this season is Bruce coming good. not I know you may guffaw at that - but the chances of a new bloke coming in and rip roaring us to promotion are close to zero.  

No-matter-who has a better chance than Bruce by simply implementing a game plan and playing players in their prefered position . You, I and nearly everyone on here can see/do that

The best policy for the club to adopt post september - is to acknowledge privately that bruce isn't the man for us. But equally swapping him for Moyes, Pardew, Smith isn't going to cut it either. ....but we make our move when someone decent becomes available.....

If we are going by that, we could/should have had a new manager immediately after 0-3 Brentford.

The new guy would have had March till May to asses and hit the ground running by August.

However, if the board or whoever decides doesnt have the balls to stand up, be counted and make a decision, why should the manager, coaches and players be expected to have the balls to take on the challenge?

Leadership comes from the top. It's clear to me (imho) that Bruce (& whoever coaches) is not up to it.

As good a bloke Bruce maybe, you cant blame him for applying for the job, it was well worth the try to see if it comes off, as it hasnt the powees that be must react.

I've been a "Bruce is not the man" for a long time. So I'm getting more intense about those who make the recommendations/decisions are as much at fault for not doing something about it.

You can wait it out in a boxing match if you know your opponent will tire, However, if every so often 3 more relegated teams with more financial power are added to the mix you yourself will run out of steam.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Thats speculation - and you're assuming  Jovanovic wants to come.

If we change in october its Pardew, Moyes , Smith  or a remi garde type punt 

Then its even more apparent that we should have done out "pickings" in March

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

Former?

Yes mate. Liked both Everton and Villa but have chosen Villa as my team now. Have asked a mod to remove the Everton supporter from my profile but no dice yet?

Edited by striker

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think people often get "experience" mixed up with "proven experience".

Whether people like Bruce or not now, there's not many managers, if any, with more proven experience at this level than Bruce when we hired him. I think that's what the club were looking for at the time, and you can't really blame them.

I don't think Moyes fits that profile at all.

Yes - I don't really get the dissing of Wyness.  I wasn't keen on Bruce, unlike many on here at the time, but I could certainly see the reasons for going for him and they are still valid even if it hasn't worked out.  Hindsight doesn't change the fact that it was a reasonable appointment at the time.  I can also completely understand that the board are giving Bruce more time than many on here would like given the backing he's been given to get it right.  I don't think he will (though really hope he does) and I'm sure (again hope) plans are in place if September doesn't see a major turnaround.  They won't stick with him forever if results don't pick up.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Being a former Everton fan I was always impressed how Moyes conducted himself at the club and what he did there but appointing Moyes as Bruce's replacement at Villa would be replicating the same type of old school prehistoric management Villa are experiencing now.

Villa need to move on from that in every aspect of the club to bring it out of the doldrums. A fresh approach is needed with new innovative ideas.

Agree with this but I fear wyness is maybe too entrenched in his ways - not too confident in Round either - in fact I'm amazed Round is in the role he has having been a number 2 for years and interviewed to be gardes number 2 . 

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Absolutely not. What would that achieve? If we are nowhere near promotion then why persevere with someone who is clearly not up to the job? As I keep being told, managers need time to get the team playing how they want so if we end up writing off this season I want to see someone else come in with a plan and start getting the ream/squad used to that plan and adapting to it. Why waste half a season that could be used by the new man, rather than him having to wait until the summer?

Steve Bruce has to have us challenging at the top of the table by the end of September, or he has to go, no ifs, buts or maybes.

But, if he is giving him until the end of September anyway he will have already managed through a quarter of the season. OK, I am not saying that it is beyond the realms of possibility that a new man could come in and still get us promoted but, the chances are pretty unlikely. So, by sticking with him for another 2-3 months we will only be wasting another quarter of a season - not half.

People say we should fire him and bring in a new manager, maybe paying compensation for him. Well, paying off Bruce and his cronies, together with paying compensation for another manager and his cronies = £s. Dr Xia says we are close to the red line with regards to FFP so maybe that needs to be taken into consideration when we talk of managerial change too?

Edited by villarocker

59 minutes ago, striker said:

Yes mate. Liked both Everton and Villa but have chosen Villa as my team now. Have asked a mod to remove the Everton supporter from my profile but no dice yet?

Were you drunk at the time ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villarocker said:

If Xia's aim is to give Bruce the whole of September I think that he might as well stick by him beyond that no matter what. I just don't see a new man coming in and getting us promoted having missed the first 9 or 10 games. He would need time to get settled into what his best 11 would be and we would be writing this season off and going again next season. Groundhog day for Villa. 

No, for me personally, if we give Bruce September then we might just as well go with it and see where we're at come January. If the owner thinks that a change is needed, give the new man a January window to see if he can do some good deals and have the last half of the season to get used to what we have ready for next season. 

I can understand that.

However a new man will not have to endure the disruption of last season and after all said and done many fans believe the team is good enough its just the manager that isn't.....so there may still be time.

I think the time has come to cease anymore deals, even in Jan....if we haven't got it right now for this first phase of promotion from the championship we never will.....the kids are an added bonus and should imo be used much more this season.

These players of ours and the manager need to be told....no more ins.

You get us out of this league......That is the mandate now for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

sadist:)

Â