Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Looks like the clearout may need to be of biblical proportions, as I reckon the wage bill alone may see us in breach of the FFP. As I've said on other Villa sites, quite a lot of the reserve and academy players are out of contract in the next month or so, and unfortunately I think this is where the cull will start.

Aside from that, I know Sanchez is going/gone, due to a clause in his loan contract, does anyone know if Cissokho has a similar clause?

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree, it is time the manager started managing instead of acting like a kid in a sweet shop. All the teams above us spent less than us, most of them considerably less. 

Yeah I don't think the fans will tolerate another season like this. Bruce was backed so there is no excuses for us not yo be pushing for at least as play off spot.

I have seen signs that we are on right road. The home form is great the away and tv form is terrible. Fundamentally he has to get them playing no excuses 

9 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

Looks like the clearout may need to be of biblical proportions, as I reckon the wage bill alone may see us in breach of the FFP. As I've said on other Villa sites, quite a lot of the reserve and academy players are out of contract in the next month or so, and unfortunately I think this is where the cull will start.

Aside from that, I know Sanchez is going/gone, due to a clause in his loan contract, does anyone know if Cissokho has a similar clause?

I don't think he does but I'm sure he will be off. 

I speculated earlier in the year that loaning players out for the 16/17 season and then selling them the following summer could be a way to help out with FFP. Hopefully that's what we've been thinking and summer sales of Veretout, Gil, Amavi, Cissokho and a few others will bring in needed funds to balance things out. 

8 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

Once gabby gone next summer that's going to be bloody helpful. 

I think amavi is as good as gone. Can see us getting about 8-10m for him as he has got a lot of potential despite his poor season 

Think we will keep McCormack for one more season but Jesus that signing alone is messing us up financially. I wonder if xia might looknat sponsoring the ground with one of his companies to get around it?

Just now, DCJonah said:

I don't think he does but I'm sure he will be off. 

I speculated earlier in the year that loaning players out for the 16/17 season and then selling them the following summer could be a way to help out with FFP. Hopefully that's what we've been thinking and summer sales of Veretout, Gil, Amavi, Cissokho and a few others will bring in needed funds to balance things out. 

Very good point there DC and I think you might be on to something there 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Relying on other teams buying your unwanted players doesn't suggest it's all under control. To be in that position 12 months in doesn't suggest it's all under control. 

We clearly went all out for promotion, we spent a fortune and sacked a manager after 11 games. There's no doubt it was all in for last year. 

The worry now is how much that gamble is going to effect the next few years. 

It's a problem if we keep spending - which it appears we won't be. That's the control element. We've obviously pushed ourselves to the edge of FFP in our first season and, having not got promoted, now need to make sure we don't go into financial irregularity.

Putting a cap on spending is sensible - the complete opposite of a lack of control. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'd take short term laughing stock over the long term pity we'd start getting if we stay in this league like Leeds, Wednesday and Forest have. 

Bruce is no idiot but it takes more than knowing what needs improving. I've not seen even the slightest glimmer of hope that Bruce will be able to coach the improvements needed. 

Less than one season with no summer. You're expecting instantaneous returns which, whilst they can happen, are unlikely.

Giving a manager a summer with a squad he already knows is a good thing. It's a bigger risk to change it all yet again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

So spending £70m and finishing 13th in the Championship playing awful football is the plan? 

Do you think we could recoup our outlay now, on the players we no longer want in the squad? Other than Kodjia nobody has stood out that we could realistically expect to get big money on. We may realise decent money on Amavi but only from someone who hasn't watched him play this season. 

I haven't come to any conclusions,  I've just offered some opinions, one of which was it's all under control and another it's just media bull.

Where did I say finishing 13th was "the plan"?

Good work. 

This is true then this will be the greatest test of his management career. A lot of his jobs he brought in players to cover over cracks but this will show his coaching skills

With the news we're close to financial fair play sanctions, I think it's necessary for us to stubbornly force Gil and Veretout to play for us next season.

We've missed creativity and ball retention in midfield. Those two could give us something we've lacked this season without putting them under too much pressure like we did before. 

Then if/when we get promoted we allow them to leave for nothing if they want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It's a problem if we keep spending - which it appears we won't be. That's the control element. We've obviously pushed ourselves to the edge of FFP in our first season and, having not got promoted, now need to make sure we don't go into financial irregularity.

Putting a cap on spending is sensible - the complete opposite of a lack of control. 

The original comment was about Wyness saying FFP is under control. Stopping the overspend now is controlling it but for me it doesn't look like it was all under control.

Massive spending and then slamming the brakes on once we reach breaking point was the Randy Lerner model of football business and it was a disaster. 

Like I said, I think we gambled big last season, it's sensible to reign it in now but how much it could cost us remains to be seen. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Less than one season with no summer. You're expecting instantaneous returns which, whilst they can happen, are unlikely.

Giving a manager a summer with a squad he already knows is a good thing. It's a bigger risk to change it all yet again. 

I'm not expecting instantaneous. I expected to see something that would show promotion was a real achievable goal next season.

I haven't seen it. I haven't seen anything that makes me think a pre season and a couple of new players will take us from bottom half to promotion.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The original comment was about Wyness saying FFP is under control. Stopping the overspend now is controlling it but for me it doesn't look like it was all under control.

Massive spending and then slamming the brakes on once we reach breaking point was the Randy Lerner model of football business and it was a disaster. 

Like I said, I think we gambled big last season, it's sensible to reign it in now but how much it could cost us remains to be seen. 

It sounds like slamming the brakes on just before you hit the car in front, rather than going through the gears and stopping comfortably at the traffic lights. We just need to hope that the manager can get the best out of what has already been spent, both on the training ground and by dealing in the transfer market. However I've not seen much on the pitch to fill me with confidence that he can do the former and I don't recall anyone ever thinking of Steve Bruce as being inovative in the transfer market. He bought 30 players in two amd a half years at Sunderland, which is a huge turnover of players. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

The way I see it.

1) Players were moved on (sold or loaned out)

2) RDM was brought in

3) Players bought in

4) Sacked

5) Bruce brought in

6) January sales and loan outs

7) January players bought in

8) Jan/Feb vote of confidence

was all done to get immediate promotion.

Bruce failed by a loooooooong way.

Someone upstairs is either too scared to commit to a Bruce out decision now and wants to wait till 5/10 games in.

Or

Upstairs is so disorientated that they are sitting on a decision instead of making one.

Or

They gambled financially and are sitting out the hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

With the news we're close to financial fair play sanctions, I think it's necessary for us to stubbornly force Gil and Veretout to play for us next season.

We've missed creativity and ball retention in midfield. Those two could give us something we've lacked this season without putting them under too much pressure like we did before. 

Then if/when we get promoted we allow them to leave for nothing if they want to.

Yup, if it's that bad, we can at least utilise the players still contracted to us, will be like new signings.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

This is true then this will be the greatest test of his management career. A lot of his jobs he brought in players to cover over cracks but this will show his coaching skills

Which are evidently shite.

• Like 2

This current situation just outlines how important it is that we get promoted next season. Because we will end up like QPR.

This club currently is in a poor state.

We are not a profit making football club.

We have no type of playing style.

We have a manager that despite his credentials knows that he will get sacked if he does not rise to the pressure.

The Fans have no faith in Bruce as a Premier League manager even if we were to get promoted.

I just hope that Bruce, Round and Wyness devise some sort of structured plan this spring/summer for Next Season.Because Bruce is going to need all the help he can get.

Hope he throws his toys out of the pram and walks. Won't happen but one can dream... Then appoint Silva who will get us playing great football and get us promoted with 90 plus points. Easy this football malarkey;) 

• Like 2

Â