Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

He's done enough to warrant a fresh start next season.

Our requirement next season is to go up. With the quality of players on the pitch and the resources at his disposal that is a reasonable expectation.....

.. as is the expectation that Bruce will get the axe if it looks like that won't be achieved. (While "looks like" is extremely subjective - that's what the board is paid for.)

I'm reasonably confident he will do it, based mostly on his history and not what we are serving up this season.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

So its naive to expect a player to be responsible for first touch, passing the ball, etc.....there are so many things the manager relies on the player to do.

He is there to coach the team and set up systems,but he can't player for them.

They will all tell you that.

What system has he set up, what system do we see on match day?

This bloody brilliant manager who has 4 promotions and will get us promoted next season cannot instill a simple playing style. It's all the players fault..........How many players is going to have to sign to implement his system?

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I am aware of the role of the manager  and agree that he is responsible for the system of play.

However, the best managers around have to have the best players and as their reputation is enhanced I.e  Poccetini  from Southampton to Spurs.....they gravitate to those better players as well as signing them, once they get to a better club.

you can have all the tactics nailed down and a system to boot, but if the players can't play it or feel uncomfortable it's no good.

managers can not help all players, they have to help themselves.

So the best managers need the best players...................ok

• Like 1

When do the parachute payments stop? We don't have time to be patient. The best three players we have were signed in the summer. I don't buy this he doesn't have the players stuff. Its the championship not the Premier League and it should never be acceptable to finish bottom half of that division. The last manager that did that and I think we were top half that season was Vic Crowe and he got sacked.

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When do the parachute payments stop? We don't have time to be patient. The best three players we have were signed in the summer. I don't buy this he doesn't have the players stuff. Its the championship not the Premier League and it should never be acceptable to finish bottom half of that division. The last manager that did that and I think we were top half that season was Vic Crowe and he got sacked.

Parachute payments last 3 years but drop in amount each year .

My take on Bruce is this...

We needed a strong minded, well respected manager to come in and sort out the mess which was going on behind the scenes.  None of us really understand the full extent of those problems, other than to know they existed and (from the outside looking in) there were plenty.

I'm taking a guess that it took a lot of hard work, patience and resolve to turn the club around in that respect, we sure hear a lot of subtle comments from people within the club and the wider game about how big a job it was - and not a pleasant one either i'm sure.  It might not yet be fully sorted, but noises suggest we're in a much better place than the seasons start.

At the same time as that he's cured our mentally weak defense and made us hard to beat... steering us away from any threat of relegation and almost, nearly into playoff contention towards the end.

All that for me earns him a free pass from criticism for this season.  I can't deny i'd have liked to have seen us bring in a Wagner, Jokanović or Monk... but then I wonder whether any of those three could have achieved anything more than Bruce, under the pressure and poisonous circumstances at our club.

I think Steve's biggest problem in getting us playing better, more attacking and ultimately more successful football is getting a settled side and formation.  We've seen what major disruption to the side does to our results both in August and January of this season - we seem to be suffering the same on a smaller scale every time he changes things from week to week.

I think he knows this and he's using the rest of this season (now results are pretty much meaningless - Sunday apart) to learn as much as he can about the players he's got.  If he then brings in 3 really good quality additions, early doors in the summer, he can sets his team out as he intends to play all season and get them gelling together all the way through preseaon.  After which all the excuses go out the window and he has to achieve from the off.

• Like 3

2 things.

1. We still haven't been good enough under Bruce however;

2. People need to take stock of exactly how much of a mess we were in when he joined, off the back of an abysmal season in the Premier league we'd won 1 game out of 12(?) in the Championship, sure, we'd spent £60M but spending money doesn't equal success.

Whilst I am not overly enthused with what I've seen under Bruce thus far the fact that he inherited what in all honesty was/is probably the biggest shit-show in English football (aside from Leyton Orient) mid-season should not be underestimated.

• Like 4

Bruce will get it right.

I agree with the comments about players taking responsibility. There is no way Bruce should be made accountable for a 20/30 grand a week player not being able to pass 5 yards to his team mate or in some cases not even notice that the pass is on.

Unless he keeps on picking the culprits.....and I like to think (personally) that he knows who they are and he won't once he can replace them.

Next year will be different!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Farlz said:

Wanted to get a bit more of a look into how his Hull side were in 2015/16.

• 3rd highest in the league for possession (53%)
  • 4th highest scorers (69)
  • 3rd fewest goals conceded (35)
  • 1st for pass success rate (78%)
  • 1st for most shots per game (16)
  • 1st for most passes per game (480)
  • 1st for most key passes per game (12)

This is all positive stuff for me, Bruce obviously can get a side to play a more possession/attacking game. Has the Championship really evolved that much in the past 12 months that Bruce can't replicate this kind of stuff with the aid of a pre season, I very much doubt it. He goes on about how we don't keep the ball well enough so it's not as if he doesn't realise the problem. 

Like I said previously, Bruce will certainly be here next season. No point wasting your breath wanting him sacked. A couple good signings in key areas + a pre season I'm willing to give him a chance that things will improve.

This is very encouraging and there's definitely a massive advantage to having an entire pre-season to work with players without the demands of the fixture list.

Bruce is experienced and knows what it takes to be successful at this level - my only doubt with him lies in the fact that our team lacks a spark in the attacking area.  We simply don't play good football.  Hopefully the summer addresses this!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

more or less confirmed gabby is back on sunday

Jesus H. Christ.

No point in going over old ground, hopefully I am wrong about Bruce and the complete lack of playing style or system will be put right in the summer.

Another 12 months down here has to be a maximum not an accepted norm.

No excuses for him come August.

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

What system has he set up, what system do we see on match day?

This bloody brilliant manager who has 4 promotions and will get us promoted next season cannot instill a simple playing style. It's all the players fault..........How many players is going to have to sign to implement his system?

I personally think the issue is there has been the scattergun approach to our transfers. It looks to me as though they have been signed based on them having good stats and  their previous clubs best players and not how they will fit into a system the manager and the coaching staff want to instill.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, dn1982 said:

What things have you seen on match day? Do Brentford have better footballers than us? They play far better football. Our team is littered with Internationals so are you telling me they can't pass a ball? Bruce has been in charge 32 games surely he knows what system suits this squad? He changes personal and formations at a whim still. If you're quoting Shankly this one seems to fit 

Football is a simple game complicated by idiots. 

Football may be a simple game......but if you are telling me a manager can influence a player from not engaging in the basics, I!m sorry I'm bailing out of the debate.

If you are telling me that Steve Bruce is directly responsible for some of the things I have seen.....like letting players run past you with no physical contact....poor passing, poor first touch, poor positioning.

sorry.....not having any of that.

If I had said to my school master.......he went past me.....but it's your fault for not setting us up properly.

He would say it's your job, not mine.

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Jesus H. Christ.

No point in going over old ground, hopefully I am wrong about Bruce and the complete lack of playing style or system will be put right in the summer.

Another 12 months down here has to be a maximum not an accepted norm.

No excuses for him come August.

the game is about players......the system is secondary.

The best system in the world, will not negate poor players.

There has to be a blend between to two......but don't keep blaming systems, they are just a by product.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Gabby was hopeless even when he was given games earlier thus season, he Pham been injured off months. No pthanks from me

You drunk? He actually wasn't playing too bad before he got injured. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You drunk? He actually wasn't playing too bad before he got injured. 

No I'm not drunk. I think he was average at best and certainly not a player we should be relying on if we have aspirations for promotion next season

Â