Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He got promoted last season. Has the league "flooded" with foreign managers since? Embarrassing post, as per. 

Jaap Stam and Wanger have walked into the league this season and worked wonders. 9/10 of the top 10 teams are in the top 10 for possession. 

There has been undeniable and yes, sudden change in the way Championship teams play.

Lots more passing teams, foreign managers.

Bruce is unlikely to get us top 2. We need more of a banker, not a chancer. 

Edited by NottingVilla
  • Like 1

Everyone that wanted Steve Bruce signed up this. You all signed up for ugly football. Forget how we play, we just want the results.

We signed Brentford's striker for a huge sum of money. Brentford have scored 70 goals, we have scored 46, just about 1 per game. It's not about buying the best and letting them do their thing, it's about buying the right player, integrating them in to the team, and making sure everyone knows their roles and responsibilities. I'm afraid Mr. Bruce is a 1-trick very old pony with outdated ideas.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Jaap Stam and Wanger have walked into the league this season and worked wonders. 9/10 of the top 10 teams are in the top 10 for possession. 

There has been undeniable and yes, sudden change in the way Championship teams play.

Who's your idea of a banker?

8 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Tell me more about this Wanger guy........

I thought he set himself up for this today to be honest.

3-5-2 against a side that overload on the flanks was incredibly naive and that was clear from the start. When you play with wing backs you're almost accepting that crosses are going to make their way into the box and you'll deal with them, we didn't.

Unfortunately I don't think we have the players to be playing that formation without a massive overhaul so trying to bed it in now almost seems futile. We don't have ball playing centrebacks or quality wing backs who can get up and down the pitch which is vital.

One thing I did notice today also was the complete lack of communication between the players. Twice in the first half Amavi was on the far post for a corner and he noticed someone unmarked 5 yards from him. Both times he asked for someone to cover him and was ignored so ended up doing it himself. That is not a team that is organised and communicating properly.

We looked all over the place which is to be expected but there were very few, if any signs that it's got potential as a formation for us.

• Like 1

I think if Bruce is here next season then Xia, Wynnes and Round are foolish men.

The money we've spent we shouldn't be looking to gamble on promotion through the playoffs. It should be automatic as one of the top 2. 

And there has been absolutely nothing from Bruce at this club to suggest that's possible.

• Like 2

It can happen that a team struggles one season and does much better the next as reading Huddersfield and Fulham all finished 17th and lower last season and Wagner took the job at a similar stage in last  season to Bruce joining us this season .

We have the players to do it but Bruce had got to get the best from those players - he should now know the formation and best starting 11 but he seems to be chopping and changing too much week to week .

He has the backing and the tools at his disposal - now we need  to see results and performances !

Gosh I can see I'm in a minority of nearly one on here these days. 

Personally I don't see why, if you didn't want him sacked two games ago, you would want him sacked now, after two games against teams still competing for playoff places while we have nothing left to play for. We aren't the first team to be 'on the beach' and we won't be the last either. I do expect us to turn up against Blues, but I sincerely doubt he's going to be sacked whatever the case. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Personally I don't see why, if you didn't want him sacked two games ago, you would want him sacked now, after two games against teams still competing for playoff places while we have nothing left to play for. We aren't the first team to be 'on the beach' and we won't be the last either. I do expect us to turn up against Blues, but I sincerely doubt he's going to be sacked whatever the case. 

I'm not in the sack him camp , however my backing is dependent on results and the last 3 games have been hugely disappointing considering the run we had been on .

we should have been full of confidence against burton and reading and playing on the front foot taking the game to them but we have  been far too negative and lost the initiative.

A manager should stand or fall on his results and the last few games have concerned me greatly - we need to see much better on Sunday .

Equally his team selections in those games have disappointed with bacuna starting in two and hourihane and Lansbury both benched today .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Winning next week is all that matters now.

regardless of the bland football and two more losses I do not envisage dr xia sacking him ahead of next season.

in a way, playing the likes of elphick, Gardner, bacuna just shows the club hierarchy how poor our squad is beyond the usual starting eleven (which is good but could still be improved on)

the club won't do anything rash re Bruce but will undoubtably know we need to improve on and off the pitch. 

Edited by theboyangel

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We shouldn't be on the beach. 

They should be proving they should be key players next season. Bruce himself said we have to finish top 10. 

If he can't get the players to buy into a target he publicly states we have to achieve, that's a problem isn't it?

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I'm not in the sack him camp , however my backing is dependent on results and the last 3 games have been hugely disappointing considering the run we had been on .

we should have been full of confidence against burton and reading and playing on the front foot taking the game to them but we have  been far too negative and lost the initiative.

A manager should stand or fall on his results and the last few games have concerned me greatly - we need to see much better on Sunday .

Equally his team selections in those games have disappointed with bacuna starting in two and hourihane and Lansbury both benched today .

To be honest, I think he's been using these games to judge those on the fringes of the squad. I heard an interview with him earlier where I thought he was hinting at doing that and I don't for one minute believe Bacuna and Gardner are in his strongest XI and Hourihane and Lansbury aren't. 

It would hardly be illogical to use these games for that purpose. Plenty of people on here were demanding he played youth players last week. It's the same principle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We shouldn't be on the beach. 

They should be proving they should be key players next season. Bruce himself said we have to finish top 10. 

If he can get the players to buy into a target he publicly states we have to achieve, that's a problem isn't it?

Not really. I doubt anybody is sincerely motivated by finishing in the top ten. It means nothing. I think it's just a thing you say to have something to say to be honest. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I think he's been using these games to judge those on the fringes of the squad. I heard an interview with him earlier where I thought he was hinting at doing that and I don't for one minute believe Bacuna and Gardner are in his strongest XI and Hourihane and Lansbury aren't. 

It would hardly be illogical to use these games for that purpose. Plenty of people on here were demanding he played youth players last week. It's the same principle. 

I'm sorry but I don't see how it's the same principle. Youth players need time and the manager needs to see what they can do in a first team situation. Where's the value in giving more game time to the likes of Gardner and Bacuna?

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I'm sorry but I don't see how it's the same principle. Youth players need time and the manager needs to see what they can do in a first team situation. Where's the value in giving more game time to the likes of Gardner and Bacuna?

Whether you like them or not they are squad members on senior contracts. They are far more likely to feature next year than any individual youth team player. 

EDIT: or we have to decide to sell them. Basically we have to decide their futures now, can do that with youth team players another time. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â