Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, theboyangel said:

There wasn't too many options ahead of amavi to replace the injured Taylor.

as for Grealish. He hasn't shown what we believe he can deliver much this season and I don't hold out much hope he will either.

hogan could do with more time on the pitch next to kodjia though 

I don't disagree, but, we were really poor, and Bruce didn't change it. id play Bree ahead of Amavi as a defender.

If you look at every good team in the playoffs they have someone who "bosses" the midfield, not in terms of physicality but in terms of technique. The 12 year old in readings midfield, dare I say Bannan. Our boss "Lansbury" plays so deep he can't boss the game, the only player we have that I think could do this is Grealish in a central role where he is continually involved. I'm slightly critical of a manager who picks a team with a midfield of Jedi, Lansbury, Bacuna, ( I wouldn't include hourihan in this ) which really lacks any semblance of creativity. 

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I don't disagree, but, we were really poor, and Bruce didn't change it. id play Bree ahead of Amavi as a defender.

If you look at every good team in the playoffs they have someone who "bosses" the midfield, not in terms of physicality but in terms of technique. The 12 year old in readings midfield, dare I say Bannan. Our boss "Lansbury" plays so deep he can't boss the game, the only player we have that I think could do this is Grealish in a central role where he is continually involved. I'm slightly critical of a manager who picks a team with a midfield of Jedi, Lansbury, Bacuna, ( I wouldn't include hourihan in this ) which really lacks any semblance of creativity. 

Regardless of the negative style we're currently adopting you cannot deny we are still creating chances on goal.

i don't agree about Grealish. He dwells on the ball too much and if central would only apply more pressure on our midfield and defence when he dallies on the ball.

however, we do need a 'general' in midfield running the show. Considering we've signed a lot of captains so far, we still don't appear very vocal on the pitch. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

You'd play a teenage right back at a position that he's never played in? I can't agree with that as an idea, it'd be bad for the team and it could ruin the confidence of a young player at a new club and away from home for the first time. The unfortunate truth is that it will be very difficult for Bruce not to select Amavi today - and indeed, selecting him is the right thing to do, he's our only fit left sided player - regardless of the performance of the player, I don't think we can be blaming the manager for picking him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You'd play a teenage right back at a position that he's never played in? I can't agree with that as an idea, it'd be bad for the team and it could ruin the confidence of a young player at a new club and away from home for the first time. The unfortunate truth is that it will be very difficult for Bruce not to select Amavi today - and indeed, selecting him is the right thing to do, he's our only fit left sided player - regardless of the performance of the player, I don't think we can be blaming the manager for picking him.

I'm openly critical of Amavi but OBE is entirely right here.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm openly critical of Amavi but OBE is entirely right here.

If we accept that Amavi is not going be a full back for us at this level, and I've not seen anything to suggest he is, why play him? 

we can't go up and I genuinely can't see how playing Bree or a youngster from the u23 can be worse and will result in them getting time on the pitch. Gerard made his first few appearances for liverpool at left back.

Interesting how we all watch the same, but see things differently. 

It's amazing how after a 2 week holiday things have change dramatically. Bruce has had loads of time to get a pattern of play I just don't see it happening. I'd hoped he'd come here and embrace it. Get a winning team with a bit of swagger then with Tony's backing get us up and push towards the top half of the Premier League. I don't see it happening. I think he'll get us up next season by hook or by crook but then be gone before Xmas. The most disappointing thing so far even worse than the style is how baffling his team selection and substitutions are there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind any of it. Bruce talks a lot about the players having the balks to play for a club or size it seems he needs to find his aswell or those asking for stability will be saying the same again in 18 months. 

By now we should be starting to see better cohesive play from Villa. The new players have had time to bed in and Bruce should be using the last few games as an elongated pre season in preparation for the push for promotion next season.

I'm therefore looking forward to watching the game today and hoping to see at least a modicum of improvement in not losing possession too much and the formulation of a team which is capable of automatic promotion next season and I want to see that continue until the end of the season.

What I don't want to see is Villa players having one foot on the beach already and not competing. No excuse for that when players should be playing for their positions next season in a side vying for promotion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blandy said:

Please stay on topic. This thread is about Steve Bruce, not what people think about other posters. Thank you.

My apologies, for my part in going OT ...... However we did hug it out at the end and share a Malteser easter bunny..... 

1 hour ago, striker said:

By now we should be starting to see better cohesive play from Villa. The new players have had time to bed in

I know this was NOT strikers post, this is a concern.  All on it's own.

The last two matches have shown little in the way of cohesion or the much anticipated stability that would save the day.

• Like 1

On the job on the bench or on the beach.

How many players do we actually have that are

1) good enough?

2) want it enough?

Put those players on a team sheet, Fill the rest with what we've got at hand,  then ask yourself, How would we be best served playing them?

If that resembles anywhere near how bruce does it, then you may be backing your horse.

If not, then you know he should go

7 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

On the job on the bench or on the beach.

How many players do we actually have that are

1) good enough?

2) want it enough?

Put those players on a team sheet, Fill the rest with what we've got at hand,  then ask yourself, How would we be best served playing them?

If that resembles anywhere near how bruce does it, then you may be backing your horse.

If not, then you know he should go

You know I am not going to subscribe to him going, there still too much to do,but to support your general view.

......just watching the Sheffield Utd v Bradford game.

I am surprised with how well SU pass and move.....their first touch is better than ours.They are quite impressive......we will be entertaining them next season, will be interesting.

I don't think next season will be the walk in the park, some think it will be.

Edited by TRO

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

You know I am not going to subscribe to him going, there still too much to do,but to support your general view.

......just watching the Sheffield Utd v Bradford game.

I am surprised with how well SU pass and move.....their first touch is better than ours.They are quite impressive......we will be entertaining them next season, will be interesting.

I don't think next season will be the walk in the park, some think it will be.

Watching it too. A well drilled, coached team by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, striker said:

By now we should be starting to see better cohesive play from Villa. The new players have had time to bed in and Bruce should be using the last few games as an elongated pre season in preparation for the push for promotion next season.

I'm therefore looking forward to watching the game today and hoping to see at least a modicum of improvement in not losing possession too much and the formulation of a team which is capable of automatic promotion next season and I want to see that continue until the end of the season.

What I don't want to see is Villa players having one foot on the beach already and not competing. No excuse for that when players should be playing for their positions next season in a side vying for promotion. 

I must admit I think Bruce has put a negative team out today  - midfield of Gardner and Jedi with Lansbury and hourihane on the bench ,? 

I like the formation but wrong players playing it for me - we need to see something in our next 2 games or the recent positive vibes will wane.

Edited by Eastie

Ridiculous tactics and approach from Bruce, and how many times have I had to say that this season. Another pathetic display lacking movement and intensity. The players are too far away from each other when they get the ball in midfield, this is purely down to how Bruce has set us up, we play far too deep, yet again, reducing us to kick and rush and easily losing the ball when we try to 'play' with it in midfield.

Based on money spent and time to implement tactics, we're in an unacceptable position in this division, it's not clear that he has done enough to be here next season. He should probably stay for the sake of some sort of continuity, the rest down to the fleeting hope that he can deliver on his previous track record. However if he was to be sacked I (a) wouldn't be bothered and (b) understand the decision. Someone has called him a dinosaur above and that is exactly what he is. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Look at the way fulham have bossed the ball so far. We haven't done that against anyone under Bruce. 

Reminds me of Brentford away. Piss poor.

Â