Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Question

where will everybody be if we return 0pts v Hudds & ShefW?

I've had a look at the rest of our fixtures and have surmised a possible 6pts from 11 games if the "current turnaround" was only 3 wins against 3 poor sides and we as shit as the previous 10/11 games.

If the Titanic has in fact been saved obviously more pts will come.

but has it?

Ahh so you see us drawing 6 games.

We're safe so he has the rest of the season for me. 

We'll know at the end of the season if he's the right man for next season. 

If he's not then the new guy will have the whole summer to work with.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We're safe so he has the rest of the season for me. 

We'll know at the end of the season if he's the right man for next season. 

If he's not then the new guy will have the whole summer to work with.

Wyness has made it extremely clear mate that Bruce is here next season 

54 minutes ago, JE- said:

Anyone want lambert back :)

I remember when every villa fan wanted him also.. Except me it felt like 

I seem to be on familiar ground almost now :)

You were the only Villa fan that didn't want Lambert back? Okay. :crylaugh:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

While i have been critical of his style of football previously. I am impressed in last few games with our midfielders getting into opposition box. 1st half was Bjarnason and then when he came off Hourihane was bombing forward

There is rarely a single factor in these kind of things.....but Jedinak's return is significant.....and the gelling is galvanising the team.....they are slowly getting used to each other.

long way to go, but its little shoots of progress.

I think I saw Steve Bruce walking through Surrey today!!? He was with two teenage lads (probably his sons). I was whizzing past on a bike. Could have been someone else.

Eh. That's all. Hope this post was enjoyable for you to read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JE- said:

Wyness has made it extremely clear mate that Bruce is here next season 

If the team stil looks like a bunch of talented strangers who occasionally manage to win with some individual skill then at the end of May Bruce will be given his marching orders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

There is rarely a single factor in these kind of things.....but Jedinak's return is significant.....and the gelling is galvanising the team.....they are slowly getting used to each other.

long way to go, but its little shoots of progress.

The reasons you give are all possibly valid, but you glaringly omit to accept that the Manager maybe been getting his approach wrong !!

Do you not even accept it's possible ? Surely it has at least as much merit as the other reasons ?

Take Lansbury. For Forest, makes forward runs. Debut for us, ditto. Then, they abruptly stop. Now, they are back. Ah but Jedi is back you say - in which case you'd be accepting it was under orders that Lansbury was wasted whilst Jefi was out ?!

As a whole, we sat deeper and deeper, throughout late December until towards the end of February,  then, as if by magic, we get bodies moving forward.

Is that gelling or orders?

Yes, it could be the things you've said, but it's odd you left out another possibility, one seen by many others and backed up by team selections like Hutton Elphick and Taylor against Ipswich who were only belatedly subbed for Adomah, Green and Bacuna, who, surprise surprise, were ALL selected to start in the game that stopped our losing run against Derby !!!!!

If I may be so bold I would venture to suggest you are almost as dogmatic in your refusal to countenance Bruce maybe got too defensive as others are in their dislike of him !

I think the ' problems' caused by new talent are/were as much an issue as the players so called 'poor characters'.... ( i.e, not very real at all) ..if the characters were poor where did three on the bounce come from !!

And those suggestions of a curse ? Or of players getting a big pay packet then switching off ?

Bruce deserved credit for a great opening run, and for a great three game run this last week.

And should we prosper he will deserve credit for that too.

And he just as surely deserves to carry at least a good chunk of the blame for what happened in between, and which cost us a play off shot.

Edited by terrytini

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If the team stil looks like a bunch of talented strangers who occasionally manage to win with some individual skill then at the end of May Bruce will be given his marching orders.

Afraid not mate.. Wyness said Bruce would still be the manager even if relegated 

4 hours ago, villarocker said:

I don't think it was "decent" but more like expected. Derby have been struggling for weeks, Bristol City have struggled for ages too and Rotherham are in league one already. Plus, those results have coincided with the return of Jedinak. I fear those results may not have been the same if the Jedi was still injured. 

But it wasn't expected though, not with the form we were in. I'm not defending it because obviously we shouldn't even be anywhere near this position but it's difficult halting that kind of slide let alone going on three straight wins off the back of it.

3 hours ago, JE- said:

Anyone want lambert back :)

I remember when every villa fan wanted him also.. Except me it felt like 

I seem to be on familiar ground almost now :)

good_job.jpg

Put this in the Baker thread but I think relevant here aswell. 

There is a stat that says when Jedinak, Baker and Chester have played together this season we have won 9 drawn 5 and lost 0 seems such a key combination to the way we play. Jedinak missing was a huge loss for Bruce. 

It appears we lacked protection and Bruce was clearly trying to negate that with more defensive tactics and Lansbury playing in a role he is not accustomed to. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but I have seen enough from this team and manager to believe we will be challenging next year if we keep the faith. 

Bruce has added some real quality to the squad and the only way is up for me. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, JE- said:

Afraid not mate.. Wyness said Bruce would still be the manager even if relegated 

He's the CEO what do you think he's going to say? 

Q: Keith, Will Bruce still be the manager next season without promotion?

A: Well, lets see shall we? maybe, maybe not. Maybe Tony wants Elle MacPherson or Harry Rednapp's dog as the next manager.

Of course he's going to suggest to the fans, the team and the world, that the club is going to be stable moving forward.

16 minutes ago, dappadan said:

Put this in the Baker thread but I think relevant here aswell. 

There is a stat that says when Jedinak, Baker and Chester have played together this season we have won 9 drawn 5 and lost 0 seems such a key combination to the way we play. Jedinak missing was a huge loss for Bruce. 

It appears we lacked protection and Bruce was clearly trying to negate that with more defensive tactics and Lansbury playing in a role he is not accustomed to. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but I have seen enough from this team and manager to believe we will be challenging next year if we keep the faith. 

Bruce has added some real quality to the squad and the only way is up for me. 

My worry is that we can't expect Jedinak to play 46 + games a season at his age. We need another option for that position as it is critical to the 433 that works so well for our attacking options.

16 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My worry is that we can't expect Jedinak to play 46 + games a season at his age. We need another option for that position as it is critical to the 433 that works so well for our attacking options.

Agreed and I am hoping that Carlos Sanchez returns. If not then we purchase a similar player for back up. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I absolutely agree. Jedinak is crucial at the moment but I think Bruce is aware of that given the results since his return. I don't doubt for a second that another DM is on his radar for the summer. He's signed the likes of Mo Diame in the past so I have a bit of faith. 

Edited by Wezbid

3 hours ago, gaffmaster said:

I think I saw Steve Bruce walking through Surrey today!!? He was with two teenage lads (probably his sons). I was whizzing past on a bike. Could have been someone else.

Eh. That's all. Hope this post was enjoyable for you to read.

I enjoyed reading your post a lot.

It seems a bit mean to point out that Steve Bruce's only children are a man (Alex) and a woman (Amy) aged 32 and 29/30 respectively so maybe not the two teenage boys you spotted.

Also, if they were literally walking through Surrey, they had a long way to go! East to west it's about 40-50 km and north to south it's about 30.

That's pretty impressive. :)

• Like 1

Â