Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, KHV said:

4-4-2 has disaster written all over it

Only if you play 2 wingers

we are not robust enough in the middle for that.

If you have a pair of growlers in the middle you can.

you need a balance of defenders v attackers 60/40 respectively or 50/50 if you have a very competent bunch of defenders.......thats what we played in our pomp, but we played 4-3-3 then.......depending how far forward Morley was playing.

but teams morph anyway, during a game, depending how much a team has possession and dominating.

ps we need an Oliver Dacourt type.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, KHV said:

Leicester have the same problem as Villa, too many players on massive contracts that don't give two shits

I think in terms of "eye spy with my little eye"

I would say you are getting warm.

ps they don't think they have to graft anymore....just running, is not enough, you need fight.

Edited by TRO

No disputing our form currently. We're rock bottom counting the last six games.

Everyone at the club is aware of this, so I'm pretty sure Bruce will be forced to bring more attacking intent tonight as we are desperate for a win to turn the tides.

Hopefully he will set us up offensively and instruct the players to be more aggressive and control the game. If we score an early goal, don't sit back however tempting it may be. We got few goals in us (below 1.0 per game over the season) so we shouldn't depend on our strong defense to see us through. Right now controlling possession and playing a high pressing game is our best option and as I see it we have the manpower to do so. Controlling the game will give us confidence too and force our opposition to go on the counter.

Come on Bruce, change the negativity and prove to us that your substantial track record in this league is justified.

UTV

Edited by osmark86

25 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

No disputing our form currently. We're rock bottom counting the last six games.

Everyone at the club is aware of this, so I'm pretty sure Bruce will be forced to bring more attacking intent tonight as we are desperate for a win to turn the tides.

Hopefully he will set us up offensively and instruct the players to be more aggressive and control the game. If we score an early goal, don't sit back however tempting it may be. We got few goals in us (below 1.0 per game over the season) so we shouldn't depend on our strong defense to see us through. Right now controlling possession and playing a high pressing game is our best option and as I see it we have the manpower to do so. Controlling the game will give us confidence too and force our opposition to go on the counter.

Come on Bruce, change the negativity and prove to us that your substantial track record in this league is justified.

UTV

I would be reluctant to describe our defence as strong on the contrary, with our record of a lack of clean sheets I would be tempted as saying "vulnerable"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Why oh why ,did we appoint this man ?

Look at his championship CV, name someone who has a better record at this level?

you can slate Bruce for his recent poor form but to slate xia and the board on recruiting him is ridiculous

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

I think tonights game will show if the players have lost faith in Bruce or not.

Footballers know when the manager is at his wits end, so they half down tools and wait for him to take the bullet.

I know that sounds evil and criminal but thats how it is.

Bruces future lies in their hands. If he's spent and the players know it, we'll lose.

I'd have sacked him after the 2-2 v Preston, so I can't see him lasting after the Toon game.

It's a shame the appointment hasn't paid off because I like Bruce, he's an honest man who has always worn his heart on his sleave. But keeping him on is not good for either party. The sheer weight of the task eventually breaks them all, the only consolation is that with every manager who comes and goes (from RDM onwards) we get closer and closer to clearing all the shit bad apples who infect the rest of the squad.

We should be using the rest of this season to

1) Sack Bruce and whoever else has input for this defensive shit

2) garantee Ch survival (how depressing that sounds)

3) seperating the good from the bad, if not paying them off, gardening leave or bomb squading them away from the squad (ie Gaby, Richards, Hutton, maybe SJ & Bacuna too - depending)

4) Appoint a progressive Manager and Sort out the backroom staff once and for all

5) reward the fans with an improvement in the standard of football

6) create a belief that next season will be a good one

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would be reluctant to describe our defence as strong on the contrary, with our record of a lack of clean sheets I would be tempted as saying "vulnerable"

8 goals conceeded in 4 games, most goals due to some really shit defending and goalkeeping.

I think we look really shite at the back

Edited by KHV

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Footballers know when the manager is at his wits end, so they half down tools and wait for him to take the bullet.

Bruces future lies in their hands. If he's spent and the players know it, we'll lose.

I'd have sacked him after the 2-2 v Preston, so I can't see him lasting after the Toon game.

It's a shame the appointment hasn't paid off because I like Bruce, he's an honest man who has always worn his heart on his sleave. But keeping him on is not good for either party. The sheer weight of the task eventually breaks them all, the only consolation is that with every manager who comes and goes (from RDM onwards) we get closer and closer to clearing all the shit bad apples who infect the rest of the squad.

3) seperating the good from the bad, if not paying them off, gardening leave or bomb squading them away from the squad (ie Gaby, Richards, Hutton, maybe SJ & Bacuna too - depending)

4) Appoint a progressive Manager and Sort out the backroom staff once and for all

Blimey, GH.......if you was in charge, the programme sellers,would be in tin hats.

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Someone like Lambert or Remi Garde?

Lambert would not be called progressive even in Scotland.

Garde, just like Sherwood didn't really make a conscious long term career move to become manager. They just found themselves in that position because the spot opened up at the club they were working at. They both lacked the fundamental foundation and education to be a good manager. (IMO)

Same could probably be said about Di Matteo...

These kind of appointments can work out, but more often than not they don't.

They are all young (ish) but I would not call any of them progressive.

I agree with all......the manager is ultimately responsible for results.

however, I see things from individual players, that i find hard to blame any manager for, including past ones.

The players have to do their jobs, in order for any managerial work.....to work.

if the musician, can't find a tune......The conductor can do nothing.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

however, I see things from individual players, that i find hard to blame any manager for, including past ones.

The players have to do their jobs, in order for any managerial work.....to work.

Yet it is the manager who signs and chooses the players so if they are not consistently doing what he wants them to then ultimately he must take responsibility for that.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Yet it is the manager who signs and chooses the players so if they are not consistently doing what he wants them to then ultimately he must take responsibility for that.

Taking responsibility is one thing......but I would be amazed if He is getting the reaction he is expecting.

you can take the horse to the water......but you can't make it drink.

if a player fails to pass the ball, that could result in a goal......you as the manager, have no control over that.

all you can do is replace them and that in itself guarantee's nothing.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with that, and many of our players have failed to live up to what they are paid handsomely for.

But I feel our biggest problem, and this includes under Bruce. Is that we have not had a system or foundation for the players to feel safe under.

Doesn't matter is a forward or midfielders put's in the shift of his life if the players around him doesn't also press and move. When you win the ball you should know that the player in front of you will make a run and where to aim the pass. If I drop deep or press you should know that the player next to you will fill the gap left by you. And so on.

Our players look like they've never had a training session together (and this didn't start after this window) It's looked like that since Houllier left.

Even a mediocre player can do a job with clear instructions. Ours look completely clueless as to what they are supposed to do. This makes them overly cautious and thus putting safety first.

I think Bruce, just like our previous managers has failed to implement a solid tactic from which to build. I also fear that he like our previous managers lack the skill to do so. And if as speculated he leaves this to his assistants then Calderwood isn't up to the job either. 

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

And repeat........

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I agree with that, and many of our players have failed to live up to what they are paid handsomely for.

But I feel our biggest problem, and this includes under Bruce. Is that we have not had a system or foundation for the players to feel safe under.

Doesn't matter is a forward or midfielders put's in the shift of his life if the players around him doesn't also press and move. When you win the ball you should know that the player in front of you will make a run and where to aim the pass. If I drop deep or press you should know that the player next to you will fill the gap left by you. And so on.

Our players look like they've never had a training session together (and this didn't start after this window) It's looked like that since Houllier left.

Even a mediocre player can do a job with clear instructions. Ours look completely clueless as to what they are supposed to do. This makes them overly cautious and thus putting safety first.

I think Bruce, just like our previous managers has failed to implement a solid tactic from which to build. I also fear that he like our previous managers lack the skill to do so. And if as speculated he leaves this to his assistants then Calderwood isn't up to the job either. 

I can't argue, I really can't.

but I equally can't see a manager like SB ,can't see it.

I have seen his Blues teams fight , cajole, toil, not great skill, but could grind out results......they were durable and robust.

I see our team now, with the skills, but not the fight.

when was the last time we robbed the opposition of the ball, whether  it be interception, putting our foot in or out muscling them.....we are no where near them to do any.

we have to win the individual battles and we are not.

ps when we kick off now....I can tell what the game is going to be like after the first couple of exchanges......its a barometer.

pps I could equally tell years ago in the early eighties what the game would be like after the first few exchanges......its now chalk and cheese.

• Like 1

Â