Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

It is dissapointing that realistically the season is over for Villa. The knock on effect is crowd numbers at Villa Park. I am going to the Ipswich game (a return journey for me of 4 hours), however standing at the back of the Holte is always a great experience!

But....if a improved performance and games that we should be winning doesnt happen soon then the atttenadance will drop away quickly ...I mean who else is idiotic enough to drive 2 hours to Villa and 2 hours back home on a cold February day to see rubbish at the fag end of a dissapointing season?

If Bruce can get together a team that wins games, puts together a winning run and we finish strongly (even outside the play offs) then thats the best we can hope for now I think.

By the way my first game at Villa was way back in 1968 Villa v Bristol City 4 th May, I was nearly 10 years old, the score was Villa 2 - Bristol City 4.....the attendance was 15 301 (yes - fifteen thousand!)..........is this the future?

Regards to all

VTID......see you all Saturday to hopefully stuff the tractor boys!

Del

• Like 2

15 hours ago, terrytini said:

Ha ha you lot (including myself) make me laugh.

I posted what I thought was a simple thought about wanting to enjoy football................I actually thought about the phrasing quite carefully because I didn't want it to be another in the Series of "he should stay. he should go, he can stay but must do better"................

And I pop in 8 hours later and its sparked another battle about what football is all about and what Mr Bruce is doing !

Love it.  Or maybe I don't ?  Not sure.

Anyway, to modify it slightly..........I agree generally Stevo - football is about winning football most the time, and I agree Id rather play dull defensive stuff (although being defensive well can be a joy to watch too) and win than pretty stuff and lose.

But my point was about NOW.  For the rest of this season  - unless we do get sucked into a Relegation fight - points simply don't matter (other than around the periphery)......assuming along the way we collect a few, what would matter infinitely more than that to me would be to see good football.

I wouldn't get much fun out of winning if the football wasn't up to much because I'm afraid the Points, and thus the Wins, don't really matter.  But I would get a lot of fun AND a lot more hope for next season if we started losing 3-2 in a humdinger or two, winning a 4-1 here and there, and some entertaining draws.

I also happen to agree that, especially at this level, good football will get you out the League but that's why I wanted it before, now I just want it to be worth going, and TBH a 1-0 win where not much happens neither matters now nor will make me glad I went.

Its just been Soooooooooooooooo Looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggg.,,,

I do agree mostly about the rest of the season.

Although I'd say our focus should be on developing a winning style of play.
Ideally that would be "good" football, we have the players to do that. But I wouldn't want Bruce to try to entertain for the sake of it. We shoul dbe implementing a style of football that will ensure the players are well used to it to use it next season effectively.

But yes, I too would prefer that style to be entertaining, I just wouldn't be putting it as the number one priority.

• Like 1

Will state it again. If Bruce can get his tactics sorted and the team go on a winning run watch the teams in 5th and 6th start to choke allowing Villa to close the gap.

It will take more offensive tactics though and I still hope Bruce will go for it with a much better midfield.

Maybe with Jedinak back in the team Bruce will allow his new midfielders to push further forward but I still don't rate Jedinak.

Edited by striker

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Will state it again. If Bruce can get his tactics sorted and the team go on a winning run watch the teams in 5th and 6th start to choke allowing Villa to close the gap.

It will take more offensive tactics though and I still hope Bruce will go for it with a much better midfield.

Maybe with Jedinak back in the team Bruce will allow his new midfielders to push further forward but I still don't rate Jedinak.

I so want this to be true, so I uphold your sentiment.

The only nagging pessimism is when you look at our squad, despite getting excited about all our new signings, lets be honest with ourselves - it can't even clean the boots of our teams of 5 years ago and backwards. It is championship, kids or PL rejects/fringe players from bottom half teams. We are a very poor side compared with our historical solidity. I just pray that Kodjia, Hogan, Hourihane, Bree come good and are regarded as the Vardy/Mahrez/Alli diamonds in the rough or else we are consigned to years of Championship football.

Lets hope Bruce can polish them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, striker said:

Jedinak will be out for another 3 games at least according to Bruce - will be interesting to see how bjarnson plays .

lets wiN these 4 home games and see where we are after that - even then it's a long shot but as Bruce said he once took hull into the play offs on a 12 unbeaten run at the end and having sneaked in they went on to go up .

Edited by Eastie

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I so want this to be true, so I uphold your sentiment.

The only nagging pessimism is when you look at our squad, despite getting excited about all our new signings, lets be honest with ourselves - it can't even clean the boots of our teams of 5 years ago and backwards. It is championship, kids or PL rejects/fringe players from bottom half teams. We are a very poor side compared with our historical solidity. I just pray that Kodjia, Hogan, Hourihane, Bree come good and are regarded as the Vardy/Mahrez/Alli diamonds in the rough or else we are consigned to years of Championship football.

Lets hope Bruce can polish them. 

This squad is good enough to probably be in the automatic positions never mind play offs compared to other squads in the league - we now have to get the belief , confidence , hunger and desire of other so called lesser teams and our ability will shine through.

we need to match them for effort and then the quality will see us get results.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Jedinak will be out for another 3 games at least according to Bruce - will be interesting to see how bjarnson plays .

Well thats it right there for you. It seems that we only need 1 player factoring and the whole thing colapses.

When Gollini made a mistake, when Hutton was out of position, When Baker was out, Amavi's head turned, Jedi was out, Gaby was in, McC-gate, Kodjia at the Afcon, Johnstone in.

One after another Players/positions taking it in turn to f*** it all up for us.

Edited by Grasshopper

I think in the eyes of the players/playing staff in particular, the rest of the season is paramount.

We have the rest of the season to build some momentum, without the pressure of promotion.....we have the time and space to work on things ready for next season.

A strong finish could mean a strong start.

We have to turn this corner.

• We have to start winning more duels and resist being out muscled and out fought.
  • We have to start to impose that talent we have and make it count
  • We have to get Kodjia and Hogan playing as a pair and scoring
  • We have to get Hourihane and Lansbury playing as a pair and scheming
  • We have to get the fullbacks full of fight and determination and going on forward runs supporting
  • We have to get the goalkeeper being scrooge like and making his presence felt, by dominating his area.
  • We have to get the CB's to continue their composure and dominate aerially 
  • We have to get Jedinak fit or get a new one in the summer of similar ilk, who is perhaps better and quicker on the deck.

No time for deck chairs.....We have a lot of work to do.

• Like 2

You are dead right we need all that and - sorry to say - we've seen very little evidence of any of it happening either with these players or those they replaced.

I would be astonished and appalled if in any way whatsoever we see signs of deckchairs ! We are on the Titanic ffs !

• Like 1

So is 5-3-2 / 3-5-2  the formation we wan't to play now?

If so I really hope Bruce tells the wing backs to offer support on the flanks at every opportunity. Bit worried that from everything I've read and seen Taylor isn't really that good going forward, and Birkir isn't a wing back and supposedly seen as a central option. 

Can't say anything about Bree as I've only seen him once but he's supposed to be fast and able to cross the ball?

If the tactic also hinges on having Jedinak protecting the back 3 or 5 so that Houtihane and Lansbuty can do their thing it leaves us woefully short of people going forward.

For the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation to work (in attack) the wide players must offer support on the flanks. I really hope we have the players for that and most importantly that Bruce gives them the freedom to do so.

Sitting deep with 6 players without width and no pressing will not win us many games. 

Really is time to loosen the hand break and start acting like a team that want to win games rather thant a team that is scared to lose.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sne said:

So is 5-3-2 / 3-5-2  the formation we wan't to play now?

If so I really hope Bruce tells the wing backs to offer support on the flanks at every opportunity. Bit worried that from everything I've read and seen Taylor isn't really that good going forward, and Birkir isn't a wing back and supposedly seen as a central option. 

Can't say anything about Bree as I've only seen him once but he's supposed to be fast and able to cross the ball?

If the tactic also hinges on having Jedinak protecting the back 3 or 5 so that Houtihane and Lansbuty can do their thing it leaves us woefully short of people going forward.

For the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation to work (in attack) the wide players must offer support on the flanks. I really hope we have the players for that and most importantly that Bruce gives them the freedom to do so.

Sitting deep with 6 players without width and no pressing will not win us many games. 

Really is time to loosen the hand break and start acting like a team that want to win games rather thant a team that is scared to lose.

Taylor sure looked the part as a wing back in the euro finals last summer - the system becomes a 352 when in possession and a 532 when not in possession - Taylor and bree both look good enough to play the formation well in my opinion .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Taylor sure looked the part as a wing back in the euro finals last summer - the system becomes a 352 when in possession and a 532 when not in possession - Taylor and bree both look good enough to play the formation well in my opinion .

Plus I'm sure Amavi will get his chance again, he'd be well suited to the wing back role. 

50 minutes ago, Eastie said:

As sne pointed out there has to be an emphasis on one formation, 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 and  as we need points and 'have better players' than most in the league it has to be 3-5-2. Now Bruce can either insist defensive minded players push up  or insist forward minded players defend. For me it has to be forwarded minded players as fullbacks and trust the 3 central defenders to cope with the pressure, release the ball early and keep the opposition pushed back. As soon as we get possession the fullbacks should be ploughing up the field abandoning any defensive responsibilities.   

Edited by tinker
inability to count
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Sadly I don't think our defence has been that good.....perhaps the 2 new full backs will help.

I agree it hasn't been amazing and the choice of goalkeeper is bizarre (perhaps down to lack of options in Jan?) but I meant in terms of setup, come into a new, often struggling club and rule one is to organise them and make them hard to beat, you won't score many goals or be involved in many "thrillers" but you'll be generally harder to beat. The attacking takes a hit and left us overly dependent on Kodjia, so we really struggled without him but it's a longer process. Boring at first but should be better once everything settled. 

The thing is this time is we know the manager is good enough to get us promoted, because he's done it before and very recently, we know the owner will provide the players he needs as well. It's different to our other recent managers because they were largely unproven give or take a season or two, I truly believe that if we show some faith and patience in Bruce he will have us playing much better and get us promoted (likely next season) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I guess we could try the 5-4-3 and see if we get away with it.

we could try

2 SJ & Bunn -

5 Bree Elphick Chester Baker Taylor -

4 Adomah Lansbury Hourihane Amavi -

2 Hogan Kodjia

Maybe we could get a win

6 hours ago, Eastie said:

lets wiN these 4 home games and see where we are after that - even then it's a long shot but as Bruce said he once took hull into the play offs on a 12 unbeaten run at the end and having sneaked in they went on to go up .

Looking at how Bjarnson plays I'm in no doubt he could make the sitting midfielder his own position in the run in allowing Bruce to play his two attacking mids further forward. More energy and more skilful that Jedinak. Just needs 1 or two more games to adjust to the Championship.

Sitting deep and trying to hit teams on the break requires a solid defence because you're continually allowing teams more possession. Villa are still leaking goals playing this way so it's up to Bruce to change and go for it.

Â