Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Nothing could be more boring than not winning every week for 5 years and the ensuing "banter" directed towards us by fans of other clubs / bookies / train companies.

You kind of took the words out of my mouth, it couldn't get anymore "boring"...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peterms said:

I know nothing at all about Wagner, but what I've read on here about him suggests he would be an interesting and bold appointment.

I'm not sure that it would fit with the club's frankly unrealistic ambition to be in the top three in the world by a week on Wednesday or whatever it was, though.

He would have been an interesting and bold appointment in the summer too, so what makes him more qualified now than he was back then?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

For me long term is more than 12 months.  Some are saying get Bruce,  he gets us up this year then we change in the summer.  Bonkers

If he gets us up this year he can have my first born. 

The long termism you speak of needs to come from 'above' the manager.

If we get this right, remember we  have an owner that is willing to spend in January as well...it could be the biggest turnaround of the century.

It needs to be someone quite special, but have no idea who...I don't think any of the names mentioned thus far.

2 minutes ago, Godders said:

He would have been an interesting and bold appointment in the summer too, so what makes him more qualified now than he was back then?

Is he more qualified now than then?  Apart from having a few more games under his belt?  I'm not sure anyone's saying that.

What people have said is that there was a small shortlist and he wasn't on it.  Perhaps he should have been, or perhaps he wouldn't have fitted the profile of what the search team were told to look for.

The question remains whether we want a short term fix or a long term plan.  I'd say long term, myself.  Is he the right person for the long term?  I have no idea.  Like I say, I know nothing about him beyond what I've read on here.  But the type of manager he is described as being, yes, that sounds good to me.

52 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

What about Ralf Rangnick, 58 and currently a Sporting Director after doing several successful jobs in Germany, including a double promotion and vast Bundesliga experience. Speaks English well as he studied at Sussex University. Surely if Dr Xia is as ambitious as he says, these type of candidates should be looked at, not just Bruce et al who we could have got under Lerner.

Interesting choice but has quit before due to stress in Germany. Could he handle the stress of the Villa job and the immediate impact he would be expected to make?

Bruce is the sensible choice. 

Wagner, while an interesting one, didn't pull up any trees at Huddersfield last season. Would he be given the time to implement his methods here? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The long termism you speak of needs to come from 'above' the manager.

That's a very good point.

When we talk about a 'long term plan' for the club then why does the manager have to be there from start to finish of it? Why can he not just be an important starting/middle/end point that is there to do a certain job and then move on? And no, I don't mean change managers every five minutes, I mean choose specific managers for specific phases and if they outperform and grow from what was expected in a particular phase then they continue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bruce is the sensible choice. 

Wagner, while an interesting one, didn't pull up any trees at Huddersfield last season. Would he be given the time to implement his methods here? 

Exactly. We'd be calling for his head by early December if he didn't hit the ground running.

Bruce for me too

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Interesting choice but has quit before due to stress in Germany. Could he handle the stress of the Villa job and the immediate impact he would be expected to make?

Possibly not. Is the Villa job as stressful as we think though? To someone with pedigree like Rangnick he shouldn't be overawed by an underachieving, mid-level English club. Perhaps the stress has got to people like Sherwood and Lambert because they never had the experience or the pedigree for a club this size.

9 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I think more fans would call for Bruce's head if we didn't hit the ground running.

why would anyone want that head?

Unless you were a potato farmer I suppose.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I think more fans would call for Bruce's head if we didn't hit the ground running.

This took the words from my mouth. There's something engrained in this club—we're in a mess and too many people seem to suggest it's a given that Bruce is going to turn it around. I'd rather him than RDM for what it's worth, but we can lose and be shit with him too—the players aren't going to change. 

If we are to get Bruce.. why wouldnt he already be hired? He is available.. wants to join.. so if we want him to join.. why isnt he here? Not too sure if he is the favourite.. IMO.. he is our back up option to somebody else who is contracted with another club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSV said:

If we are to get Bruce.. why wouldnt he already be hired? He is available.. wants to join.. so if we want him to join.. why isnt he here? Not too sure if he is the favourite.. IMO.. he is our back up option to somebody else who is contracted with another club. 

My thoughts exactly.

Can only mean they want to give whoever is shortlisted their fair crack in the interview.

I think Bruce would get us promoted, but I am not sure he is a good long term choice. The thing it's all about promotion right now. No point looking at what might happen in the prem when right now we need to focus on getting there.

12 minutes ago, KSV said:

This. I am not convinced that it is going to be any of the names that have been mentioned. This is Xia remember, so who knows.

Just now, DK82 said:

I think Bruce would get us promoted, but I am not sure he is a good long term choice. The thing it's all about promotion right now. No point looking at what might happen in the prem when right now we need to focus on getting there.

As long as he get us promoted, then we can sack him in the summer and bring in Guardiola.

• Like 1