Next Villa Manager

Richard

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Stoke could be close to sacking Hughes. Although they have started badly I rate Hughes. Would be very happy with him

Wouldn't they have done it over the international break ?

I reckon Hughes is safe until his next game. By which time I hope our vacancy will be filled.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

This thread makes me laugh.  Bruce at age 55 is a hasbeen dinosaur whose day is done at age 55 yet Wagner is a young up comming manager at age 44.

So we are saying that a managerial career now spans 11 years i.e less than a player?  Get real. 

Bruce is significantly younger than many many managers currently managing top clubs and nations. His dinosaur football got Hull promoted last year. 

Wagner may indeed be the next big thing but he has had 44 matches managing a small club.  The law of probability means he is more likely to be a flash in the pan than the next Wenger. 

He has had zero time at a big club and yes lottery style is could be you but represents yet another gamble for me. 

Of course I will back him to the hilt if he arrives here but I want experience and track record. 

He also got Birmingham relegated after which he lost his first five matches in the championship with calls for him to be sacked (link) ;)

Bruce is experienced and did a good job at Hull with Mike Phelan as assistant. But I keep reading Bruce is the safe bet to get us promoted. He may do, but it will not happen this year unless he achieves a 'much higher' win rate than he did at Hull, and from the get go. I think it is now unlikely we will get the wins we need to get promoted this year - it is not impossible, but highly unlikely.  IF we accept that hard truth we are looking at a two-year project for someone to come in, improve our play, impose their ideas, buy new players.  If we want that man to be Bruce OK, but we would be his 9th club and for all you say he is a journeyman manager with previous for playing drab football and throwing his dolly's out the pram.  I don't see Bruce as the right choice for us. Say he does come in and he gets promoted in 207/18 - no guarantees, but say he did.  Then what?  We have to employ another manager, we have rebuild and we are back to struggling in the PL - as Hull will do this year.  This has to stop.  Why don't we see this as a longer-term project, not a quick fix. Bring in Wagner or someone of that ilk to try and do what Eddie Howe did at Bournemouth.  Ask him to build us a team that can play good football, get us promoted in 2018 and then hold our own  in the PL, with a few quality additions and with you at the helm.  Wagner could be our Wenger.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

"The Wangerbus is coming

and everybody's jumping

New York to San Francisco 

an intercity disco"

Reveal hidden contents

Good luck getting that tune out of your heads, you're welcome!

Almost hope he comes just so we can sing this tune - great shout !!!!!!!

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I cannot recall anyone on this thread saying that Bruce's day is done. I am sure there are even older managers out there who are still going strong. Arsene Wenger himself is 66, and is not slowing down. Age has very little to do with it.

A couple of people have said he is on the decline. 

1 hour ago, Hopp said:

Reading this thread it seems that lots of people have an obsession with getting us up and out of the Championship this year! This feels a bit unrealistic and honestly I hope to God the Board have a more realistic view of our dire situation. Let's write this year off as regards promotion and concentrate on getting the club on a level footing again ... I would like us to sign a young and promising manager - give him this season to start getting a new spirit and philosophy instilled into the team. I'd assure him that so long as we finish mid-table at the least his job is safe and that next season is the one! Let him invest this winter and next summer. I'm not sure who this guy should be but it could be the makings of both him and the saving of us as a club. So, no Bruce, no Pearson, no other middle of the road half successful manager. Thanks for reading :-)

I think after spending 60 million quid in the summer it's perfectly acceptable to be obsessed with getting out of the Championship this year.

That being said I don't think it's gonna happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopp said:

Reading this thread it seems that lots of people have an obsession with getting us up and out of the Championship this year! This feels a bit unrealistic and honestly I hope to God the Board have a more realistic view of our dire situation. Let's write this year off as regards promotion and concentrate on getting the club on a level footing again ... I would like us to sign a young and promising manager - give him this season to start getting a new spirit and philosophy instilled into the team. I'd assure him that so long as we finish mid-table at the least his job is safe and that next season is the one! Let him invest this winter and next summer. I'm not sure who this guy should be but it could be the makings of both him and the saving of us as a club. So, no Bruce, no Pearson, no other middle of the road half successful manager. Thanks for reading :-)

no, no and no.

We absolutely must go up this year.   Relegation was the worst disaster to hit Villa in decades and not getting promoted straight back up will be just as bad. 

If we don't go up this year, there will be a lower chance of going up next year, and an even lower chance of staying in the Premier league once back up. 

The chance increases that we become a bog-standard championship club if we don't go up this year.   I don't want us to be the next Sheffield, Wolves, Fulham, Leeds, Bham City, etc.

Must get promoted this year.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

"The Wangerbus is coming

and everybody's jumping

New York to San Francisco 

an intercity disco"

Reveal hidden contents

Good luck getting that tune out of your heads, you're welcome!

Now we have to get him, just because i'm already singing that song over and over again! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

After thinking long and hard about it, I'm hoping for Wanger. Just hope he's got the balls for the job.

If you are right and he comes, just don't get cocky about it.