PieFacE

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Nobody can never not to be good enough anymore, or come up short or just fall below the requirements.

You're either elite or bottlers. It's **** boring.

I don't think this is true at all, I guess it's all about perceptions...

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Nobody can never not to be good enough anymore, or come up short or just fall below the requirements.

I think you need to look up bottlers. Arsenal had the title in the palm of there hand last year and the pressure got to them, they bottled it. If Liverpool or we come second to Man City this year, we would have just missed out because of quality, wo t be a bottle job.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think you need to look up bottlers. Arsenal had the title in the palm of there hand last year and the pressure got to them, they bottled it. If Liverpool or we come second to Man City this year, we would have just missed out because of quality, wo t be a bottle job.

That's where I disagree

Injuries and playing too many games compared to man city's monster squad got to them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Coming up short isn’t bottling. Being as far ahead as arsenal were with their fixtures and losing it is bottling

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Coming up short isn’t bottling. Being as far ahead as arsenal were with their fixtures and losing it is bottling

I'd say having it in your own hands and cocking it up is bottling.

19 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah sort of. 

I mean if we’d gone top in the sheff Utd game it would be in our own hands so you’d have to put some sort of time limit on it. 

But being significantly ahead, not many games left, easy fixtures… that’s a bottle

• Like 2

It sort of is.

However Dortmund were the ultimate bottlejob in the major european leagues last season, would be impressed if anyone could find a more severe choke job than what they got up to in the last month of the season.

Guess our finish in 2008/09 is a good case study. Was that a choke job or just consequence of small squad/lack of knowledge in how to finish top 4 compared to Arsenal who'd done it for over a decade?

We finished that season winning 2 games in 12.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It sort of is.

However Dortmund were the ultimate bottlejob in the major european leagues last season, would be impressed if anyone could find a more severe choke job than what they got up to in the last month of the season.

Guess our finish in 2008/09 is a good case study. Was that a choke job or just consequence of small squad/lack of knowledge in how to finish top 4 compared to Arsenal who'd done it for over a decade?

We finished that season winning 2 games in 12.

Dortmund only went top 3 times all season and one was the second last week. Dont think comparable to Arsenal as Bellingham and Reus both got injured 

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I hope our fan bases don’t manufacture a pointless and pathetic social media rivalry as we have previously with Newcastle.

Sadly that happened a long time ago during Covid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Against a team who spent over a billion pounds and has (potentially) cheated to the tune of 115 charges against them?

"Bottling" is probably the term I detest most in football. We are overacheiving, if we finish sixth, the players and coach will be accused of "bottling it", which is absolute nonsense, but will be spun as fact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Dortmund only went top 3 times all season and one was the second last week. Dont think comparable to Arsenal as Bellingham and Reus both got injured 

They kept on choking whenever Bayern dropped points in the run in though. They were 2-0 up v Stuttgart (who had 10 men), then went 3-2 up in injury time and still drew 3-3 so to me that's a little different to Arsenal blowing a 2-0 lead at Liverpool where hardly anyone wins.

That Mainz game on the final day was a horrible watch aswell.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But that misses off a lot of context

Arsenal had a record breaking bit of form before Xmas, they overachieved and were never that good anyway, they certainly weren't better than man city 

Conversely city weren't great before Xmas but then ended the season absolutely on fire, when the two teams played each other Feb / March city battered them, they were streets ahead of them 

Arsenal were knackered because they overplayed their key players 

Arsenal had a make shift defence at key moments and had to play rob holding in the run in 

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But that misses off a lot of context

Arsenal had a record breaking bit of form before Xmas, they overachieved and were never that good anyway, they certainly weren't better than man city 

Conversely city weren't great before Xmas but then ended the season absolutely on fire, when the two teams played each other Feb / March city battered them, they were streets ahead of them 

Arsenal were knackered because they overplayed their key players 

Arsenal had a make shift defence at key moments and had to play rob holding in the run in 

Arsenal got themselves into an amazing position and blew it. It’s the very definition of bottling it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Arsenal got themselves into an amazing position and blew it. It’s the very definition of bottling it

Arsenal got themselves in to an amazing position and couldn't keep it up because they weren't good enough 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Arsenal got themselves in to an amazing position and couldn't keep it up because they weren't good enough 

Correct. They bottled it

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Correct. They bottled it

Disagree

Bottling it would suggest they were good enough but didn't see it through, that's not how I see arsenal 

Look at their back 4 when they lost to forest - kiwior - Gabriel - white - partey

Bottled it to me would be full strength arsenal fit and firing but not turning up, that's not what happened, they had injuries, suspensions and were knackered

It also takes away from what man city are and what an advantage they have - Phil foden started 22 PL games last year, Mahrez 22, Grealish 23 by comparison saka started 37, Odegaard 37, martinelli 34, it shouldn't be surprising that city have more in the tank down the stretch, that's how they keep wining everything 

• Like 2

Â