PieFacE

Indeed, bottling it suggests a mental failing, some cowardice. Running out of steam after overperforming isn't bottling it. But we've been round the wrekin on this one for months :D 

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

They bottled it! 

Funny, I think I heard they have spent 600 million since Arteta arrived 4 years ago. If they didn't bottle it, they better stop unperforming, injuries or not.

Again, £600m, now do pep and man city... 

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Against a team who spent over a billion pounds and has (potentially) cheated to the tune of 115 charges against them?

"Bottling" is probably the term I detest most in football. We are overacheiving, if we finish sixth, the players and coach will be accused of "bottling it", which is absolute nonsense, but will be spun as fact. 

Doesn't matter what the other team were doing, it was in their hands. If we finish 6th, but could have guaranteed 2nd by just winning one of our last 4 games of the season, B didn't by putting in a stream of terrible nervy defensive unconfident performances match on match then it would absolutely be a bottle job.

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Against a team who spent over a billion pounds and has (potentially) cheated to the tune of 115 charges against them?

"Bottling" is probably the term I detest most in football. We are overacheiving, if we finish sixth, the players and coach will be accused of "bottling it", which is absolute nonsense, but will be spun as fact. 

Doesn't matter what the other team were doing, it was in their hands. If we finish 6th, but could have guaranteed 2nd by just winning one of our last 4 games of the season, B didn't by putting in a stream of terrible nervy defensive unconfident performances match on match then it would absolutely be a bottle job.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What about if we finish ahead of them this season. Have they bottled it then?

Arsenal? If it's because a full strength team with a couple of games left and decide to drop off and start phoning it in then yes

If it's because we are better than them then no

Man utd being shit is not bottling it, it's just being shit 

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

What if during those 4 games our CB partnership was Hause and Cash? 

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree

Bottling it would suggest they were good enough but didn't see it through, that's not how I see arsenal 

Look at their back 4 when they lost to forest - kiwior - Gabriel - white - partey

Bottled it to me would be full strength arsenal fit and firing but not turning up, that's not what happened, they had injuries, suspensions and were knackered

It also takes away from what man city are and what an advantage they have - Phil foden started 22 PL games last year, Mahrez 22, Grealish 23 by comparison saka started 37, Odegaard 37, martinelli 34, it shouldn't be surprising that city have more in the tank down the stretch, that's how they keep wining everything 

Think of it this way. Spurs’ last two fixtures this season are Burnley and SHU. If they’re 5 points ahead with 2 games to go and they end up 2nd then they’ve bottled it. 

All the stuff about injuries and Man City having a better squad etc is still true. But it doesn’t mean they haven’t bottled it. 

If I’m racing Lewis Hamilton and I’m 5 seconds ahead and then bin it into the wall on the last corner then I’ve bottled it. It doesn’t matter that Hamilton is a far better driver than me. I got myself into that position and I threw it away. 

That’s what arsenal did. Man City are much better and arsenal weren’t as good. Despite that they got themselves into a position where even an average set of results in a generous run of fixtures would have won them the league. They didn’t do it. They bottled it

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Think of it this way. Spurs’ last two fixtures this season are Burnley and SHU. If they’re 5 points ahead with 2 games to go and they end up 2nd then they’ve bottled it. 

All the stuff about injuries and Man City having a better squad etc is still true. But it doesn’t mean they haven’t bottled it. 

If I’m racing Lewis Hamilton and I’m 5 seconds ahead and then bin it into the wall on the last corner then I’ve bottled it. It doesn’t matter that Hamilton is a far better driver than me. I got myself into that position and I threw it away. 

That’s what arsenal did. Man City are much better and arsenal weren’t as good. Despite that they got themselves into a position where even an average set of results in a generous run of fixtures would have won them the league. They didn’t do it. They bottled it

Then I disagree with your interpretation of what bottling means 

If Hamilton is a better driver than you, in a faster car than you, then you losing that lead is not necessarily on you, or a better analogy if you have a mechanical fault and he catches you then it's not your fault, if you had to do 70 laps and Hamilton had to do 30 so you were fatigued at the end whereas he wasn't then that's not your fault 

Arsenal didn't fail to win the league because saka started putting in 5/10 performances, they lost it because their 4th choice CB wouldn't get in our team (he now plays for palace) and he was playing in defence alongside their RB with a CM playing RB, arsenal were just good enough to win the league, that's not bottling it, they turned up but the quality wasnt there, bottling it by my definition would be not turning up 

Salibas injury stopped them winning the league, it's why they spent near £150m on rice and timber 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Then I disagree with your interpretation of what bottling means 

If Hamilton is a better driver than you, in a faster car than you, then you losing that lead is not necessarily on you, or a better analogy if you have a mechanical fault and he catches you then it's not your fault, if you had to do 70 laps and Hamilton had to do 30 so you were fatigued at the end whereas he wasn't then that's not your fault 

It’s my fault if I do something crap to lose it. Which is what arsenal did. They didn’t just regress to the mean. They had an easy run of fixtures and they completely **** it up.

It is the definition of bottling. They rounded the keeper and they put it wide

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Arsenal didn't fail to win the league because saka started putting in 5/10 performances, they lost it because their 4th choice CB wouldn't get in our team (he now plays for palace) and he was playing in defence alongside their RB with a CM playing RB, arsenal were just good enough to win the league, that's not bottling it, they turned up but the quality wasnt there, bottling it by my definition would be not turning up 

I don’t know how you don’t equate their results in those fixtures to not turning up. Even with injuries and fatigue, they should have been getting far more points than they did. Hence they bottled it

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s my fault if I do something crap to lose it. Which is what arsenal did. They didn’t just regress to the mean. They had an easy run of fixtures and they completely **** it up.

It is the definition of bottling. They rounded the keeper and they put it wide

Their 5th choice striker rounded the keeper and put it wide because their other strikers were all injured 😉

• Like 1

They were caught by Man City’s superior squad. 

It’s like a marathon runner sprinting the first 20kms then being caught over the last 10. 

They didn’t “bottle it” (which is a stupid football cliche anyway).

They were just not strong enough as a squad to last the distance against the best team in the world. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They were caught by Man City’s superior squad. 

It’s like a marathon runner sprinting the first 20kms then being caught over the last 10. 

They didn’t “bottle it” (which is a stupid football cliche anyway).

They were just not strong enough as a squad to last the distance against the best team in the world. 

It’s like a marathon runner needing to run 6 minute miles for the last 2 miles to win and instead running 7 minute miles. 

You’re acting like the run of fixtures was Man City, liverpool, Utd, Newcastle, Brighton and they got caught. 

It wasn’t. They were easy fixtures and they **** them up

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Their 5th choice striker rounded the keeper and put it wide because their other strikers were all injured 😉

Exactly. Even he should be scoring. He bottled it. 

And even arsenal, with injuries and fatigue should have been getting results good enough to hold onto their lead. They didn’t. 

bottled

They dropped points in the run in at home to Brighton and relegated Southampton plus against West Ham, Forest and Liverpool(2-0 up in this game) plus City smashed them

This was in the last 9 games. I would say thats bottling it

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

They dropped points in the run in at West Ham, Brighton and relegated Southampton plus against West Ham, Forest and Liverpool(2-0 up in this game) plus City smashed them

This was in the last 9 games. I would say thats bottling it

Again, look at the line up vs those teams, forest and I think Brighton in particular 

They played defenders that wouldnt get in to our team 

They weren't good enough, that's not bottling 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Again, look at the line up vs those teams, forest and I think Brighton in particular 

They played defenders that wouldnt get in to our team 

They weren't good enough, that's not bottling 

Only regular players missing from the starting team was Saliba and Zinchenko though they had a 25 million back up left back to replace the latter

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Only regular players missing from the starting team was Saliba and Zinchenko though they had a 25 million back up left back to replace the latter

Gabriel got suspended for a couple of games too from memory

As I said the forest game they started ziwior and white at CB, partey at RB

Â