International Football General Chat

villa4europe

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

He wasn't, it was a header that bounced of the floor from a corner. It was a good goal that you don't expect to save, if you do it's a brilliant one.

But Germany hammered Poland. 26 shots, I think 11 on target. All they need is a no.9. But the side plays good football, if a little suspect at the back. 

I don't know it would be disappointing for me if Emi conceded that. Be uproar on here if Olsen did 😂

Was an enjoyable game I thought Poland looked dangerous too in the first half. Szczesny save from Thiaw i thought was top class

Disaster of a result for Wales.

Page went gung ho and it backfired big time, we have really poor defenders so leaving them exposed with only Ampadu helping out was not a good decision, in hindsight. 

That Armenia decided to score some absolute belters didn’t help either but we’re definitely witnessing the start of a massive decline in Wales’ fortunes again.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Page went gung ho and it backfired big time, we have really poor defenders so leaving them exposed with only Ampadu helping out was not a good decision, in hindsight. 

That Armenia decided to score some absolute belters didn’t help either but we’re definitely witnessing the start of a massive decline in Wales’ fortunes again.

Not sure what the shock is. Bale getting wonder goals out of little changed the trajectory of so many games in last decade and for a nation with a small group of top level players you simply are always going to go into transition until new stars emerge.

No idea why Ramsey become new captain, he should've been jettisoned off aswell as he's been phoning it in for club and country since 2020 imo.

Giving Page a new 4 year deal wasn't a great move either but ultimately it would be a very difficult job for anyone if the expectation is for Wales to keep qualifying for tournaments.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure what the shock is. Bale getting wonder goals out of little changed the trajectory of so many games in last decade and for a nation with a small group of top level players you simply are always going to go into transition until new stars emerge.

No idea why Ramsey become new captain, he should've been jettisoned off aswell as he's been phoning it in for club and country since 2020 imo.

Giving Page a new 4 year deal wasn't a great move either but ultimately it would be a very difficult job for anyone if the expectation is for Wales to keep qualifying for tournaments.

Agree it is inevitable after the golden generation but to lose 4-2 at home to Armenia is a return to the dark old days.

26 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

To he fair, Lucas Zelarayan is a truly great footballer when he is on his game.

Also, the US rehiring Berholter is just asking for more disappointment, IMO. We don't have enough ambition.

I think they were sort of forced into rehiring Berhalter after the mess from the World Cup and that he was cleared from the Reynas allegations

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

From what I saw of the game Wales were gash. The first Wales goal shouldn’t have counted as they won the ball back with a tactical foul, but the main crime was just how much time and space Armenia were afforded in the final third. Give international footballers that much time and space when they are in shooting range and you’re gonna get punished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

From what I saw of the game Wales were gash. The first Wales goal shouldn’t have counted as they won the ball back with a tactical foul, but the main crime was just how much time and space Armenia were afforded in the final third. Give international footballers that much time and space when they are in shooting range and you’re gonna get punished. 

Having watched the highlights, Armenia's second goal is like a disasterclass in how not to defend, a largely unthreatening turnover with lots of defenders back that somehow led to an unpressured cross to an unpressured header in the middle of the goal. 

I know a lot of the discussion around Wales' regression is going to focus on Bale's retirement, but commitment and defensive organisation doesn't depend on an attacking superstar. 

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Nyland in goal 😂

McGinn will have a field day

I’m reaaaaaally struggling to find any sort of enthusiasm for this game, or any Norway game for that matter. Internationals bore the crap out of me most of the time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Having watched the highlights, Armenia's second goal is like a disasterclass in how not to defend, a largely unthreatening turnover with lots of defenders back that somehow led to an unpressured cross to an unpressured header in the middle of the goal. 

I know a lot of the discussion around Wales' regression is going to focus on Bale's retirement, but commitment and defensive organisation doesn't depend on an attacking superstar. 

Plenty of their defenders have had poor seasons, Mepham just benchwarming for Bournemouth and Rodon not played much at all in France past January. Ward in goal says it all.

Think for Turkey away they need to go back 3 and have Davies and Amapdu in there and bring in Morrell but that sums up Wales, bring in a Portsmouth CM to try to shack Chanaloglu who's just started a CL final.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m reaaaaaally struggling to find any sort of enthusiasm for this game, or any Norway game for that matter. Internationals bore the crap out of me most of the time. 

Game has been a snoozefest tbf 

• Like 1

I go to everyone world cup and Euros to follow England and watch a few other random games, but only because I love travelling. 

Those tournaments aside, international football is about as appealing to watch as women's football for me. Which absolutely not worth watching for even 2 minutes as far as I'm concerned.

The last time I watched a non tournament International on TV, such as a qualifier or a friendly was probably in the 90's.

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I go to everyone world cup and Euros to follow England and watch a few other random games, but only because I love travelling. 

Those tournaments aside, international football is about as appealing to watch as women's football for me. Which absolutely not worth watching for even 2 minutes as far as I'm concerned.

The last time I watched a non tournament International on TV, such as a qualifier or a friendly was probably in the 90's.

Was just thinking to myself, it can be quite boring and shite can't it?

Bar the big tournaments.

Even the England game yesterday I was half asleep.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was just thinking to myself, it can be quite boring and shite can't it?

Bar the big tournaments.

Even the England game yesterday I was half asleep.

Didn't even know England played yesterday! I just saw Scotland were playing Norway and thought I'd see what was happening in this thread. 

Edit: Just checked and we played Malta in a pointless kickanout.

Surely nobody turned their TV on and spent 2 hours of their life watching that! 🤣🤣🤣

Â