Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Another note I'd add. With them on the field we outscored 4 teams (Huddersfield, Rotherham, Wigan and Burton), level with 2 teams (Forest and Derby) and were outscored by 1 (Bristol). That's 14 points over 7 games, 2ppg.

I'm sure I'll get some disagreement to the above because #Stats. But it certainly backs up what I felt I saw when they played together. 

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

You didn't read what I said. I said Ayew, McCormack and Grealish should have played together to get the best out of each other. How often did they play together?

Huddersfield - 79 minutes - McCormack goal, Grealish assist.
Rotherham - 74 minutes - McCormack assist
Derby - 83 minutes 
Bristol - 90 minutes - Grealish goal
Forest - 90 minutes - McCormack goal, Ayew assist x2
Wigan - 30 minutes - Grealish goal
Burton - 15 minutes - McCormack goal

So the 3 of them only played 461 minutes together, which is nothing. A total contribution of 5 goals and 4 assists in that short time and only once did they all appear together at some point in a game and didn't contribute to us scoring. 

They average 1 goal per every 92 minutes when on the field together, that's without even counting the assists. That's better than what we've averaged all season and isn't even including goals from other sources, like our top scorer Kodjia.

Thanks for that. interesting info

If we was winning.....we wouldn't have all this praise for McCormack.....everyone would be in sync with the manager.

just like .....

The contretemps between O'Neill and Reo Coker.....Its just the horse you back.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Looks like he has turned old overnight. He's perennially unfit, appears to have lost the little bit of acceleration he once had and seems to have lost his appetite for the game.

That's what happens when you give a player of his age the biggest pay check of his career

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we was winning.....we wouldn't have all this praise for McCormack.....everyone would be in sync with the manager.

just like .....

The contretemps between O'Neill and Reo Coker.....Its just the horse you back.

But "if" assumes we're living in a different universe. Of course "if" we are scoring goals, then we wouldn't have an issue with our manager letting a striker go. Just like "if" we weren't conceding any goals, people wouldn't have an issue with the goalkeeper.

If we let Kodjia go in the summer and din't replace him, I'm sure people would complain. Would those complaints still be aired if we scored 90 goals that season? No. Kodjia is still gone, that didn't change, but the circumstances did. That's the same with McCormack. Letting him go was a mistake IMO, but if we were scoring and winning then it would just be a mistake we didn't pay for, whereas now it is a mistake we are paying for.

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

But "if" assumes we're living in a different universe. Of course "if" we are scoring goals, then we wouldn't have an issue with our manager letting a striker go. Just like "if" we weren't conceding any goals, people wouldn't have an issue with the goalkeeper.

If we let Kodjia go in the summer and din't replace him, I'm sure people would complain. Would those complaints still be aired if we scored 90 goals that season? No. Kodjia is still gone, that didn't change, but the circumstances did. That's the same with McCormack. Letting him go was a mistake IMO, but if we were scoring and winning then it would just be a mistake we didn't pay for, whereas now it is a mistake we are paying for.

So a guy who found the lamest excuse to not go to training.... is part of our future.....I understand, when they say there is a lot to turn around at our club.

Could you imagine for one minute a player from say, Barnsley, Brentford,Preston,Cardiff,Brighton,Ipswich, even Blues.....doing that.....No, nor me.

Edited by TRO

His problem is that he's at the biggest club he'll ever play for, on the biggest contract that he'll ever get and he thinks he's made it and the work stops because he's got a shitty attitude. Not the first player to act like this at us and won't be the last. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

So a guy who found the lamest excuse to not go to training.... is part of our future.....I understand, when they say there is a lot to turn around at our club.

Could you imagine for one minute a player from say, Barnsley, Brentford,Preston,Cardiff,Brighton,Ipswich, even Blues.....doing that.....No, nor me.

Lame but Bruce greatly exaggerated the height of the fence and made him look a fool when it should have been dealt with in-house. Fact is McCormack scored over 60 championshop goals in the last three seasons and Bruce failed to get anything of him. I think it reflects on him as well as the player.

28 minutes ago, lexicon said:

His problem is that he's at the biggest club he'll ever play for, on the biggest contract that he'll ever get and he thinks he's made it and the work stops because he's got a shitty attitude. Not the first player to act like this at us and won't be the last. 

...whilst we continue to pay ridiculous wages no matter what league we're in.  Needs to stop.

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Lame but Bruce greatly exaggerated the height of the fence and made him look a fool when it should have been dealt with in-house. Fact is McCormack scored over 60 championshop goals in the last three seasons and Bruce failed to get anything of him. I think it reflects on him as well as the player.

Hey, I think it is a danger to defend one and not the other, when the facts are nebulous.....but I have read on here folk say,with past mangers i.e O'Neill...... you have to stand by the manager first, he's the boss.

Ron S was particularly hard on Bobby MacDonald.....but who was going to challenge that one?

Paul, there could have been other incidents too with McCormack ,that SB kept a lid on and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

.....did I read somewhere where Hogan said when we was trying to sign him, as long as McCormack is not there?

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think you have hit on a big problem at Villa.....and a very tangible one in my eyes.

I don't think he is the only one either.

It is one of the reasons I think this is a big job to turn around.....not sure how you do it, but I think a relatively inexperienced manager will baulk at it.

This is the thing that will take time.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hey, I think it is a danger to defend one and not the other, when the facts are nebulous.....but I have read on here folk say,with past mangers i.e O'Neill...... you have to stand by the manager first, he's the boss.

Ron S was particularly hard on Bobby MacDonald.....but who was going to challenge that one?

Paul, there could have been other incidents too with McCormack ,that SB kept a lid on and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

.....did I read somewhere where Hogan said when we was trying to sign him, as long as McCormack is not there?

Ok yes I agree I don't know all the facts. I'm not sure why we would fork out £12 million for a  30 year old with a bad reputation. If he's such a bad guy then serious questions need to be asked about the recruitment team. These facts would have been known before hand.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Ok yes I agree I don't know all the facts. I'm not sure why we would fork out £12 million for a  30 year old with a bad reputation. If he's such a bad guy then serious questions need to be asked about the recruitment team. These facts would have been known before hand.

"Panic"

I would say in 6 years of demise..... that little devil has played havoc with us.

Look, in the ideal world we would be adding 1 or 2 players every year in a gradual strengthening process and blending them in to a cohesive unit.....but we have royally ****ed up over that period and now we have one almighty task of turning that around.

Its mammoth, where we gone.

We have had many managers and others, who have clutched at straws and bought wrong.....spending big money in the process.

We will continue to by wrong , but we must ensure, we buy more right than wrong.....I 'm not sure its been that way around for that period.

So we over-looked the character of the man because of his goal-scoring record. We have had so much muddled thinking in the last year or so. We signed a load of French players because they were better value than their British counter-parts. We then got a French man in because he spoke the same language as many of the players that were signed. We then signed a load oF proven championship players thinking that was the way to go. Then we get a manager in because he has proven record of getting teams out of this division. if only life was that simple!

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So we over-looked the character of the man because of his goal-scoring record. We have had so much muddled thinking in the last year or so. We signed a load of French players because they were better value than their British counter-parts. We then got a French man in because he spoke the same language as many of the players that were signed. We then signed a load oF proven championship players thinking that was the way to go. Then we get a manager in because he has proven record of getting teams out of this division. if only life was that simple!

I can't presume that, because I simply don't know.....but it certainly would not surprise me.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think you have hit on a big problem at Villa.....and a very tangible one in my eyes.

I don't think he is the only one either.

It is one of the reasons I think this is a big job to turn around.....not sure how you do it, but I think a relatively inexperienced manager will baulk at it.

This is the thing that will take time.

I think it's a real problem, yeah.

The big club moniker/expectations really doesn't work in our favour at all:

- Players who think they've made it because they've maximised their perceived potential (McCormack)
- 'Lifestyle' footballers
- Players who seem a bit daunted and overawed at moving up (Hourihane)
- Every team in the league wants to beat us because 1) of who we are - and 2) we've tried to buy the league and possibly bought some of their players
- Fans don't have anywhere near enough patience for players who need time to adjust, which means nerves kick in
- A manager who's at the biggest job of his career and is too nervous to play attacking football but his cautiousness ultimately costs us

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think there's more going on there so not really going to comment.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think it's a real problem, yeah.

The big club moniker/expectations really doesn't work in our favour at all:

- Players who think they've made it because they've maximised their perceived potential (McCormack)
- 'Lifestyle' footballers
- Players who seem a bit daunted and overawed at moving up (Hourihane)
- Every team in the league wants to beat us because 1) of who we are - and 2) we've tried to buy the league and possibly bought some of their players
- Fans don't have anywhere near enough patience for players who need time to adjust, which means nerves kick in
- A manager who's at the biggest job of his career and is too nervous to play attacking football but his cautiousness ultimately costs us

Bit in bold is absolute nonsense and sums up the egos of some of our fans tbh.

• Like 1

But that's the point - the attitude from some of our fans is derisory towards the league and is another reason why those clubs will have it in for us. This 'we shouldn't be here' attitude is music to their ears and makes them want to beat us. 

Lex. they want to beat us anyway. The players do and the supporters do. There are no clubs or players anywhere who think - "I don't mind drawing with this lot, because their fans are humble". It doesn't work like that IMO. Some clubs hate us for Geographical rivalry reasons, some don't give a monkeys about us. Same as everyone else. Some will slag us off as fans, others will say we're an alright bunch. But it means nothing in terms of how hard the opponents try, or how much they want to win, except perhaps for the local derbies, where, again, they want to beat us regardless of "attitude" of supporters. 

Â