Alton Sterling

omariqy

theres a video of a bloke hiding behind a concrete column and leaning round firing off a couple of shots at a time, its not a pistol for self defence, its not a rifle for sport, it looks like he's got an assault rifle... even those who can defend the gun laws in the states for various reasons, how could you possibly explain why he would need that kind of weapon?

I don't quite understand how you can walk down the street with a rifle slung over your arm and aren't deemed a threat to anyone but if you announce you have a license for conceal carry and then reach for your ID the police then have carte blanche to shoot you dead.

Its just a big mess.

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dallas-shooting.jpg?w=400

picture of him, turned up to a peaceful protest in combat fatigues and a rifle... 

In the video of his 'arrest' his associates we saying "we don't play anymore" in reference to the shootings. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

theres a video of a bloke hiding behind a concrete column and leaning round firing off a couple of shots at a time, its not a pistol for self defence, its not a rifle for sport, it looks like he's got an assault rifle... even those who can defend the gun laws in the states for various reasons, how could you possibly explain why he would need that kind of weapon?

There's really no justification to be able to buy a military grade fully automatic weapon.

Racism and Firearms, 2 issues the US has deeply engrained in its culture and now they are combining in devastating fashion.

Even the president is powerless to make any real impact.

• Like 1

It is mental what's going on in the US. Read about the shootings yesterday and found other stories from recent shootings. Like Dylan Noble a 19-year old white guy in Fresno which death seems a little suspect reading about it. Didn't make the news over here and it shouldn't really but it just shows that it happens a lot. Police on the edge and to much guns in circulation is a very bad combination. NRA will argue that people need more guns to protect themselves, sad times.

Just had the misfortune of watching CNN for a moment.

How do the Yanks put up with this shit? In only a few minutes watching I saw some of the worst television journalism I've ever seen, and then some absolute moron claiming that hatred and the song 'Cop Killer' (are we in 19fucking90?!) have more to do with last night's shooting than guns.

I'm sorry, but I can have an incredible capacity for hatred, and I can listen to Cop Killer on hard repeat for a month, and with the best will in the world is struggle to kill anyone, let alone 5 cops. But give me an assault rifle and I'll have the capacity to clear out the city's last enforcement if I fancy it (which for the avoidance I absolutely do not).

Absolutely ludicrous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Just read the suspect was killed by the robot used to disarm bombs?

Wtf was it like terminator or something? #Skynetistakingover

That's what I thought. Armed suspect is holed up so R2D2 is sent in to chuck a grenade at him

Appalling few days in 'Murica 

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

How do the Yanks put up with this shit? In only a few minutes watching I saw some of the worst television journalism I've ever seen,

It's brutal. I was watching Sky News coverage of the Dallas shootings, and it was like I was listening to adults not snot nosed shitheads

It's really hard not to feel totally hopeless about this country. I'm going to a protest tonight, and in the back of my mind I wonder if some psycho redneck is gonna pull up and start shooting. It's a legitimate fear. Imagine being stuck deep in the ghetto though. Bullets fly at you from all directions, every day. Every big city in America has a little war zone of it's own. People have no future. The middle class is disappearing, the working class is being pushed to the brink..homeless are everywhere, people are paranoid and reactionary, and gun sales are at an all time high. I read today that more American civilians have been killed by gunfire over the last 10 years than all the American soldiers killed in WW2. I'm just assuming that it's true. 

murderrate.png

Murder rate halved

different figures flaoting around on different sites for the U.S., but all would suggest these are the peaceful times. Figures range between 3.9 to 6 murders per 100,000 citizens. All surveys however they count and categorise suggest it was double that in the 70's, 80's and 90's

doesn't take away from anything, but, you know, stats...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I don't quite understand how you can walk down the street with a rifle slung over your arm and aren't deemed a threat to anyone but if you announce you have a license for conceal carry and then reach for your ID the police then have carte blanche to shoot you dead.

Its just a big mess.

You weren't wrong in ymthe 4th word of this post.

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

murderrate.png

Murder rate halved

different figures flaoting around on different sites for the U.S., but all would suggest these are the peaceful times. Figures range between 3.9 to 6 murders per 100,000 citizens. All surveys however they count and categorise suggest it was double that in the 70's, 80's and 90's

doesn't take away from anything, but, you know, stats...

It's still a crisis. And what's worse is gun ownership has rocketed while gun laws have loosened. 

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's still a crisis. And what's worse is gun ownership has rocketed while gun laws have loosened. 

yes, still 4 or 5 times higher than in other broadly comparable countries such as UK, Ireland, Denamark, Italy, Croatia, Romania....and that's after having somehow halved the rate

For me as an uninformed bystander, I do wonder how much the lines are blurred between life being tough on black people and life being tough on poor people. But then I guess the correlation is also that you are very likely to be poor if you are black, so you get sort of double screwed as a poor black person.

Â