Alton Sterling

omariqy

Dust hasn't even settled and there's another one:

A black man has been shot dead by police in the US state of Minnesota as protests continued over the police killing of a black man in Louisiana.

Philando Castile's girlfriend live-streamed the aftermath, showing him covered in blood with a police officer pointing his gun at him.

He was shot as he reached for his driving licence, she said.

It follows the death of Alton Sterling, who was shot dead by police during an incident in Baton Rouge on Tuesday.

Hundreds of people have protested for two nights over Mr Sterling's killing.

The deaths follow a long line of high-profile incidents involving African-Americans at the hands of the police, igniting a national debate about the lethal use of force.

:snip:

I hope this properly blows up on the police to the extent that their own superiors have to look at the whole thing.  It has to change.  The culture over there to the police force seems to be that black lives are so expendable that they think nothing of killing someone almost as a first resort.  It's disgusting.

• Like 2

A total of 1,439 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 61 hours or 144 per year. There were 123 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in 2015. 

NLEOMF

this isn't meant as any sort of apology or excuse for anything, but it is something of a 2 way street, albeit 9:1 in one direct

if you know that as a police officer, one of your colleagues is killed every 61 hours, and you have a gun, and you have to go and deal with people that have guns.....

It's obviously a massive problem, but I wouldn't want to be on patrol at night in Baton Rouge and get told some guy is on the street threatening people with a gun.

Just sticking a bit of perspective in there, not defending anyone on either side of anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If I was black, or even just healthily tanned, I'd be on the first plane out of America. What a shit show. 

Agreed mate, I think there are massive problems there. 

The most disgusting thing about all of this is how people on the right wing try to brush off these incidents and the people who bring attention to them as nothing and that these people are playing the victim. A lot of victim blaming and a whole host of other nasty things. No such thing can happen here as there is clear video evidence (very gruesome too, regret watching it) of cold blooded murder.

while these incidents are treated as racism they'll never be stopped

they are a mixture of the american gun problem, the culture of fear in the states and shockingly bad police training 

if i was a white american policeman id be scared of doing my job, if i was a young black american man i would have a huge distrust of the police and the whole american legal industry 

• Like 1

There definitely is a huge element of racism both from law enforcement and from the general public. About a quarter of all those killed by the police are black men who make up about 7% of the population, it is ridiculously disproportionate. People have been bringing up his past felonies from 16 years ago among other things to try to dehumanize him and make it seem like he deserved it which happens every single time with incidences like these. If it was a white guy who got killed like that on camera, best believe no such thing would happen. 

The video is harrowing. Properly, properly harrowing. 

The guy is in the deck with two officers on him, there is no way on earth he could have got to a gun (if he indeed had one on him) 

it's murder. Nothing else, but straight up murder. I thought the Eric Garner video was bad, but this is another level of awful. 

Jeez that country has got problems. 

Edited by wazzap24
Formatting like a poem?

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

About a quarter of all those killed by the police are black men who make up about 7% of the population

13%. Literally 4 posts above ;)

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

13%. Literally 4 posts above ;)

Black men are about half that figure which is what I meant. Even at 13% it is still staggering.

Also here's an example of the type of rhetoric I was talking about that is becoming all too common in the US

What does his criminal history have to do with anything :lol:, he could have a rap sheet from here to Mars and it wouldn't make a difference. It's not like the cops knew about any of that when they killed him.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can't really determine that was an act of racism from the evidence I've seen, but at the end of the day this is a natural consequence of an all round trigger happy US Police culture, shoot first ask questions later. 

or the natural consequence of an all round trigger happy US culture?

like i said id be outright scared if i was a cop in america, he's young, he's male, he's black, he's reportedly committing a crime, so he's more than likely got a gun, what makes them think that? is that racism or is it that just about everything in american culture plays to that stereotype, including a decent size portion of the black community itself

i dont automatically believe that every cop that wrongfully shoots a black kid is a racist and the answer is to train the police not to be racist, its a far deeper problem than that

theres a documentary on iplayer at the moment called black power america's armed resistance, there is some scary scary stuff out there

• Like 2

Â