Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm still yet to see a realistic, competent, respected and exciting coach named in here who could possibly replace RDM. And for me, that's the main reason I wouldn't get rid just yet.

Not realistic, but would be great - Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche?  Realistic - Dean Smith or Chris Houghton?   I think any of those four would find the players, tactics and formations to get us out of this league.  

15 hours ago, BigAl said:

Who would want to be a manager ,RDM gets slated for not closing up shop against Forest ,he then closes up shop against Brentford and gets slated for being negative can't win ,he is getting lambasted for playing 4 forwards last night but realistically who could he have played instead Gardner who has been our worst player this season or fans favourite Bacuna ?unfortunately it's been some poor finishing from our strikers and some poor defending towards the end of games that have cost us ,he might turn out to be yet another managerial failure but at the moment RDM needs to be cut some slack our results are more down to individual errors .

Different games and he chose the wrong thing in each.

we should have closed up against Forest and not sat back for 45 mins against Brentford.

Two absolutely different games and situations. He got both wrong.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I also wonder if those two are making Elphick and Chester look worse at present, as they simply offer limited protection to them?  Once Jedinak is up to speed this should improve hopefully?  Agree, that neither Westwood and Gardner should play together though.  

I suspect taht is definitely the case, if CM was closing down and not letting them steam roll through our midfield (Westwood) then wouldnt leave elphick and chest so exposed 

It is just a shame Richards is so crap, he has the physic to play cm 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

...and what is RDM doing about it? Nothing.

Not much he can do though is there unfortuantely. Window is shut so cant sign anymore Cms unless they are unattached. All he can do is work on this in training but sadly seems he has cocked up by keeping gardner and signing a potential crock in tshibola 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Not much he can do though is there unfortuantely. Window is shut so cant sign anymore Cms unless they are unattached. All he can do is work on this in training but sadly seems he has cocked up by keeping gardner and signing a potential crock in tshibola 

Perhaps change tactics? and if the players are the problem then wasn't he the guy who signed them in the first place (or chose to priorities other areas than the midfield)?

Perhaps change tactics? and if the players are the problem then wasn't he the guy who signed them in the first place (or chose to priorities other areas than the midfield)?

I suspect he will change tactics weekend. he has stayed loyal to some to see if they will improve yet they keep failing time and time again. I believe this weekend we could see new formation unleashed. I dont think he will play play all four attacking players. I suspect rudy will get dropped in place for another midfielder (probably the woeful gardner sadly)

I would get lyden in there personally 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I suspect he will change tactics weekend. he has stayed loyal to some to see if they will improve yet they keep failing time and time again. I believe this weekend we could see new formation unleashed. I dont think he will play play all four attacking players. I suspect rudy will get dropped in place for another midfielder (probably the woeful gardner sadly)

I would get lyden in there personally 

Let's hope so, he is doing an awful job so far.

Let's hope so, he is doing an awful job so far.

Have to agree 1 win in 7 is dreadful. I wasnt expecting to be top, or even top three at this stage but noway did I think we would be doing this poorly

He has to get some wins and turn this around quick or the fans will turn. Already getting frustrated with him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I really do think its because of the midfield not doing their defensive duties which is causing the errors 

Our midfield makes more tackles than any other area of our team (Tshibola, Jedinak, Ayew, Westwood in that order) and those 4 players are represented in the top 21 tacklers who aren't defenders in the Championship this season - that's out of, what, maybe 200 players?  The only team that matches this in the middle of the park are Huddersfield.

Our defenders are way, way down the list.  Westwood (terrible, shit, awful, spineless, cowardly player) averages 2.6 tackles per game.  James Chester? 1.2.  Tommy Elphick? 1.1.  Part of this is undoubtedly down to the fact that the ball isn't making it's way past our midfield that often.  Ayew tracks back incredibly well and Tshibola/Jedinak/Westwood/Gardner have clearly been sufficient in stopping the ball on the whole.

As a team, we allow the opposition 11 shots per game on average - only Reading, Newcastle, Norwich and Derby do better in this regard.

Personally, I don't think it's a great central midfield and would need to be overhauled if we got promoted, but it's certainly good enough at this level.  There have been mistakes (Gardner and Westwood for Forest's first goal, for example) as there will have been for pretty much every club in the football pyramid.  Westwood and Gardner are being "picked on" as having played in the team that got relegated and simply aren't rated by the majority of fans.

It's a lazy stereotype that our midfield is weak and gets bypassed easily this season.

39 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Not realistic, but would be great - Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche?  Realistic - Dean Smith or Chris Houghton?   I think any of those four would find the players, tactics and formations to get us out of this league.  

People would get sick of Houghton just as fast as they have RDM, Brighton lost to Brentford last weekend and I got told by the fans it's the worst football they had seen Brighton play for years. 

Maybe looking back Brentford aren't as bad we all thought. Hindsight and all, like the Leicester loss last season. 

RDM has me worried.

I know its early days but from the moment Micah Richards appeared on the pitch at CB in the Luton game I immediately lost a little faith in his judgment. Of course I would not be concerned if results were better so maybe its a knee jerk reaction?

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm still yet to see a realistic, competent, respected and exciting coach named in here who could possibly replace RDM. And for me, that's the main reason I wouldn't get rid just yet.

Depends where you place\rate RDM  - with one win 7 - if that goes to one win 8,9,10 - then a load of coaches you might not particularly rate  suddenly become feasible  because they could better 1 win in 10.

Bruce and Mccarthy have multiple promotions from this division. Now there are no guarantees and I know either would get howls of derision - but IMO there would be good chance they would better RDM'S stats. Just to repeat Im not advocating either. But the worse RDM does - the list of candidates who  could better RDM grows   

• Like 1

Nah my anger and frustration at the start of the season is still directed wholly at RANDY LERNER and no-one else. We have been dominating games but its the damage done over the last three years that has infected the club and made us incapable of holding onto a lead currently. RDM? Personally I feel we're lucky to have him and after investing over 50 million in his team if we press the panic button and start firing people now its madness and we'll never get out of this league. Fire Di Matteo if after: this season we fail to get top six and next season fail to get automatic promotion. Randy Lerner may be gone but he is the primary reason for our issues at present.

For me, he has the season; 2 transfer windows, his back room staff and a season to impose his philosophy and ideas on the squad. Review @ the end. Below the playoffs is a disappointment. However a upward trajectory with positive results and performances in the latter part of the season and I'd give him the 2nd season even if we miss out on the playoffs. Maybe I'm too reasonable.

FWIW I think it'll turn out fine. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
Gr
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends where you place\rate RDM  - with one win 7 - if that goes to one win 8,9,10 - then a load of coaches you might not particularly rate  suddenly become feasible  because they could better 1 win in 10.

Bruce and Mccarthy have multiple promotions from this division. Now there are no guarantees and I know either would get howls of derision - but IMO there would be good chance they would better RDM'S stats. Just to repeat Im not advocating either. But the worse RDM does - the list of candidates who  could better RDM grows   

This is a fair point. Agree with you that those 2 have a track record. So, would be willing to take them for the season to get up. Just goes to show how little choice is actually out there. Someone mentioned Wagner from Huddersfield but I couldn't see him coming here and would want a transfer window of his own. He's got a bloody good thing going there. 

Dean smith, for me, isn't proven enough. He's done good jobs at Walsall and Brentford... The latter still not convincing yet though. Is like us to find a manager from the continent, who would actually do well. No ideas who though!

Â