Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

56 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Exactly that, or extend the stand further over the road. It gives us options that wouldn't even be on the table if the land was privately owned.

Given how tight we are on the opposite side of the stadium it gives us other options if we look at a complete rebuild also. 

Wouldn't that be more expensive and complicated than the North Stand plan they've abandoned though?

32 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Even if you owned it, and just used the edges of the grounds that are right next to the stadium? I can't work out on what basis your saying it can't be done if you own it. Is there a law that protects the trees on a listed building's land?

Trees are not given any formal protection by listing which only protects buildings and structures. However, all trees in Conservation Areas are protected and some trees are protected by Tree Preservation Order

19 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Even if you owned it, and just used the edges of the grounds that are right next to the stadium? I can't work out on what basis your saying it can't be done if you own it. Is there a law that protects the trees on a listed building's land?

Well that is what did with the trinity road, and in return we paid to put in the playground and basketball court over the road.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well that is what did with the trinity road, and in return we paid to put in the playground and basketball court over the road.

So presumably we could do it again... and if we owned the land already it would be far more straight forward...?

If you look at what Liverpool did around their stadium, they bought up anything that became available within the vicinity.

What they then did with what they owned is shameful... but we could buy this listed building, protect it, host events there, make FFP profit from linking it in with the single match tourists that we're trying to attract.

And then the small patch of land we extend on to, we can effectively recreate elsewhere on the rest of our grounds. The far north end car park could be converted to the playground. We could plant more trees around the stadium grounds. A far more friendly version of what Liverpool did, improving the area, rather than turning it into a derelict estate that no-one wants to live in, so they sell up. 

All assumes the council still want to sell it, making it an affordable option.  But this was my thinking.

@VillaJ100 still would like to hear why there's no way in hell we could build on that corner if we owned it?

21 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Buying Aston hall off the council (I believe it just about makes a profit) and trying it in with our corporate packages, or hosting events there linked to the club, would actually be a way to increase our FFP position. Not to mention the fact we'd own the land and be able to convert some of it for extensions of the stadium.  Its so close to us that it would be madness not to consider buying it.  Long term,  owning it could save us a lot of problems in the future. And like I said, it makes as much money as it costs to run. The council want rid of it to pay off their wage bill debt.

Yes it makes sense as the council have been declared bankrupt and unlike the council  could make it highly profitable

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

So presumably we could do it again... and if we owned the land already it would be far more straight forward...?

If you look at what Liverpool did around their stadium, they bought up anything that became available within the vicinity.

What they then did with what they owned is shameful... but we could buy this listed building, protect it, host events there, make FFP profit from linking it in with the single match tourists that we're trying to attract.

And then the small patch of land we extend on to, we can effectively recreate elsewhere on the rest of our grounds. The far north end car park could be converted to the playground. We could plant more trees around the stadium grounds. A far more friendly version of what Liverpool did, improving the area, rather than turning it into a derelict estate that no-one wants to live in, so they sell up. 

All assumes the council still want to sell it, making it an affordable option.  But this was my thinking.

@VillaJ100 still would like to hear why there's no way in hell we could build on that corner if we owned it?

Because everything up to the edge of the road itself is a Grade II registered park and Aston Hall itself is Grade I registered. It wouldn't be impossible but you'd have to design it to ensure minimum impact to the setting of the hall and park itself and convince the conservation officer which might make it pointless even worth doing, doesn't matter if you own it or not.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Because everything up to the edge of the road itself is a Grade II registered park and Aston Hall itself is Grade I registered. It wouldn't be impossible but you'd have to design it to ensure minimum impact to the setting of the hall and park itself and convince the conservation officer which might make it pointless even worth doing, doesn't matter if you own it or not.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking.  Didn't know parks could be registered/graded  so thanks for enlightening me. Does make sense then that we'd probably have little interest owning it without that as a potential benefit. 

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking.  Didn't know parks could be registered/graded  so thanks for enlightening me. Does make sense then that we'd probably have little interest owning it without that as a potential benefit. 

It won't just be the property or the park, there could be trees on the site that are protected. Just as much red tape as the property to touch those.

12 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It won't just be the property or the park, there could be trees on the site that are protected. Just as much red tape as the property to touch those.

It's likely that there is a conservation order covering the entirety of the park as well as listings on buildings and individual TPOs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

How about marquees with a bar inside on match days? 

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

How about marquees with a bar inside on match days? 

Being non-permanent I'd imagine that would be fine, so long as foot traffic and access etc isn't having an effect on the character of the park

17 hours ago, MrBlack said:

No worries, here's the list entry for the park, quite interesting. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1001199?section=official-list-entry

• Thanks 1

Â