Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

38 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Having slept on it I still see this as really bad news. Heck keeps doing major u-turns on everything we had planned and got buy in for. I really think this is a retrograde step.

I can kiss good by to ever getting a ticket now, I was looking forward to the new build making it easier to get over a few times a season.

On the contrary, you can get one for pretty much every game if you have a membership and go on when they first go on sale.

The rebuild would have left very few tickets for members for the next two seasons.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I have no idea who this is, or what their qualifications are but I found this tweet interesting and seemed to make some sense to me at least.

Let's CPO the **** out of the joint then.  We ain't moving!

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You know Liverpool totally demolished the stand. 

I think they left the bottom tier as is.  By building around the existing one they have only had to reduce capacity for barely half a season and that's with the added complications of the contractors going bust, compared to 2 years for ours.  Anyway it sounds like it's a no-go for us so irrelevant really.

I wonder whether they might be able to clear out the boxes in the North Stand and put a small tier of seats in there while filling in the corners with hospitality boxes.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think they left the bottom tier as is.  By building around the existing one they have only had to reduce capacity for barely half a season and that's with the added complications of the contractors going bust, compared to 2 years for ours.  Anyway it sounds like it's a no-go for us so irrelevant really.

I wonder whether they might be able to clear out the boxes in the North Stand and put a small tier of seats in there while filling in the corners with hospitality boxes.

No they didn't. They built the top half round the bottom then demolished the bottom afterwards. 

And it's been discussed over and over and over that Villa can't do this because of differing ground levels and services that need moving.  It just wasn't an option. 

37 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The real question is why and whether he has any better ideas/suggestions himself?

So far he has basically hidden in a cave for 6 months because he was scared by the fan reaction after his initial commercialization of the Holte and unimpressive interactions with fan groups.

He has completely shit the bed on the new 150 year mark/logo and apparently marketing is his thing. A blind dog could have seen how amateurish that effort was.

He has then announced a massive change to an infrastructure project with no really substantive reasoning as to why. 

Add to that he has the gravitas of an Asda store manager. 

It has all the signs so far unfortunately of a man completely and utterly out of his depth. I hope he has some rabbits in a hat but Unai has saved him so far but as soon as things turn south this bloke is toast. 

I can’t disagree with any of that tbh. Good post. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, blunther said:

I think it makes perfect sense from a short-term corporate American point of view.

We can spend £100m, and make £50 a game from 50k fans

Or we can not spend £100m, take advantage of the demand outstripping supply and make £63 a game from 40k fans.

Same revenue, no cost. Of course it means some existing ST holders won't be able to afford to attend games, but their seats can be given to people who don't come every week who'll spend more on the ticket and other stuff at the ground.

From a business perspective, it makes massive sense. From a fan perspective it's not so good, but since when did we matter.

You are correct, of course. I should have added that, long term, it doesn't make much logical sense. At some point that North Stand will need replacing and there will never be a 'perfect' time to do it

To me not doing it suggests the owners either have their eye on something much grander or are kicking it down the line to the next set of owners. I think any redevelopment of the North Stand under NSWE is now dead

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's total bollocks @blunther

Increasing Season Ticket prices is never ever going to get close to matching the increased revenue this stand was going to generate. 

Well, let's see. Turning something like the Warehouse into another "GA+" facility, putting STs up 30% and reducing their number to increase the amount of day trippers will massively increate revenue. It may not quite match what new corporate areas could do, but it'll increase revenue without spending £100m+ on a new stand that might take 15-20 years to pay back, and let's face it they're not here for the 15-20 year long haul. I assume they'll also look at other internal refurbs in the trinity to try and max out corporate space.

They have to have something up their sleeves over the next few years. There is no way some form of expansion won't happen. Maybe some sort of filling in the corners, once that's done a rebuild of the NS, god knows.

But 10 years from now VP has to be bigger and modernised. 

The stinger for me is the rationale being given. "Too many seat too quickly" is obvious bullshit, it doesn't even give us a top 10 stadium in terms of capacity. It is not like we have a great stadium and we were talking about adding another tier somewhere, it is a horrible little stand that ruins the aesthetics of the whole ground.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VBM said:

The stinger for me is the rationale being given. "Too many seat too quickly" is obvious bullshit, it doesn't even give us a top 10 stadium in terms of capacity. It is not like we have a great stadium and we were talking about adding another tier somewhere, it is a horrible little stand that ruins the aesthetics of the whole ground.  

That eyesore of a stand has nine lives. Even Ellis wanted to demolish it in the 2000s, then Lerner and now these and they always bottle it.

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Reading this thread, you have to laugh at the cynicism and reactionary posts. Assume the worst and run with that narrative. 

If comms were clear we would know the plan. We know we have needed a new stand at the witton end for a long time and we hot told yesterday isn't happening. The end.

Something is up in my book, just not quite sure what. My guess is that they are looking at building a new stadium. The question would be where? To stay in Aston, would have to be part of some wider regeneration project that would overhaul train/transport links too.  Is this feasible? 

Give Heck some credit. What he achieved with Philadelphia was astounding. If we can grow our brand even 50% of how they have, we are laughing. Something is cooking with Atarios.
I’m more than happy getting it right on the pitch and developing the squad  to be able to qualify for CL regularly . That’s where the big money can be made. 
NWSE can obviously see the opportunity  of achieving CL football this season  and are right to delay knocking  the North  Stand and the reduced capacity .They’re  successful business men for a reason  and I trust them to be successful  with  our club. Trust the process                              

58 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Except the fact that they didn't. The stand was open every season 

Apologies if that's the case.  I understood that that was what was planned.

But the point stands.  Us doing that has been discussed to death.  There were technical reasons why a total flattening and rebuilding had to happen.

42 minutes ago, VBM said:

And as someone said yesterday.  As soon as the planning permission was granted all the travel nonsense becomes irrelevant.

There was a very detailed transport strategy submitted as part of the planning application which was accepted.  It was not conditional on the redevelopment of Witton station - that was a nice to have.

Remember the shuttle bus service operating from King Edwards School?

Everything about this development makes perfect sense.

Something stinks about this.  We've not been told the truth about WHY it's not being done and that makes my blood boil more than the actual cancellation of the project.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â