Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

53 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Just occurred to me: our new stand is contingent on the station upgrade, the station upgrade is contingent on Birmingham being a host city for the Euros and Birmingham being a host city for the Euros  is contingent on us building a new stand?

Are we actually in a bit of a bind here?

Nah. I think the club are just trying to exert some influence to get the station done. 

The city should want Villa Park extended because it will bring more thinks like Pink, Springsteen and Motocross to the city bringing thousands of visitors, all spending money in bars and shops, not to mention the same from 10,000 extra visitors every Villa Game. 

The stand is not contingent on the station, but they obviously want it done so are getting the message out there so the council/authority don't drag their feet. 

There are many reasons beyond the Euro's to get this done. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Just occurred to me: our new stand is contingent on the station upgrade, the station upgrade is contingent on Birmingham being a host city for the Euros and Birmingham being a host city for the Euros  is contingent on us building a new stand?

Are we actually in a bit of a bind here?

Only if the UK and Ireland don't win the bid to host, which will based on the proposed capacity of 50k, as they'll trust it will be completed before 2028. We should find out in September, but if Turkey win the bid, it won't be because of Villa Park and its adjacent station.

Whilst Villa want their fans to be able to access the stadium without excessive hassle, I expect they'll be more focused on the extra income the increased capacity and vastly larger hospitality will bring. If the station expansion/increased access isn't finished, it'll be the council getting it in the neck from local residents complaining.

If the UK and Ireland get the tournament, I'll be surprised if the expansion and station isn't completed. If we don't host the tournament, Villa will still want to expand but we'll see how bothered the council are about the station. Hopefully the council aren't so small minded to refuse investment in their own city infrastructure. Birmingham has already fallen behind some smaller cities in that regard.

Edited by brommy
Clarity
  • Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 12:00, Follyfoot said:

I can almost definitely say there were well over 50k in 1981 against the Albion and Ipswich, unofficial yes but the Holte was ridiculously packed 

Liverpool as well thinking back 

12 hours ago, villan-scott said:

All the graft on the playing surface starts now! 

I thought they were currently building a massive Supercross course for next weekend's FIM World Championships 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

I thought they were currently building a massive Supercross course for next weekend's FIM World Championships 

They are - they seem to be doing some prep work on the base of the pitch before they cover it with 20,000 tonnes of sand and dirt for next week.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

The Villa Park ground staff are almost unsung heroes.

the Villa Park playing surface has been amongst the best in the football league for many years, even when some of the football played on it has been less than good!😀

I'm just hoping it stays that way after everything that's happening there this summer.

6 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

The Villa Park ground staff are almost unsung heroes.

the Villa Park playing surface has been amongst the best in the football league for many years, even when some of the football played on it has been less than good!😀

Couldn’t agree more.

Whenever I go to Villa Park I initially marvel at the fantastic general ambience and architecture.But when I arrive at my seat I am always transfixed by the impeccably beautiful playing surface.It is genuinely a wonder to behold.I like grass.😁

On 24/06/2023 at 08:36, Kingman said:

Had an email from villa earlier saying it’s 2-4-1 tickets obviously not selling well

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So with the foo fighters gig booked for June 24...I guess the stand is delayed even more?

Guess so. That's next summer ruled out too.

Yeah you’d imagine that they can set the stage up where the stand currently is. I don’t know if seats were sold in that stand for the recent gigs? Will be very disappointing if it’s delayed even further! 

Â