Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I wonder if there is a generation difference in views about moving and staying. Move with the times or get left behind. I'd be up for moving but there's no space in the city centre and there's no point moving unless we are. 

If we stay the whole stadium needs updating which is difficult when the trinity and DE stands are both on top of roads along with the lack of concourse space. Only so much you can do. Staying also saves us £500-600m, which I don't think we'd make that money back? 

I don't think we would make it back for a VERY long time (several decades).

I do however think the perfect place is Dale end if some rich benefactor who paid for it out of their own pocket wanted to build it.

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

As stands go the new Trinity is actually quite nice looking.  It's just that it's compared to the absolute work of beauty that came before it that it's judged so harshly.

Looks fine, even fairly impressive in the ground. Looks like a lego brick on the outside.

The cost of any new stadium will be hundreds of millions and with an MLS franchise in the works and a new 25k seat purpose built stadium to fund. A new home for us is a non starter. That said the costs would be met via external funding and possibly the sale of naming rights and the debt would be over a 25-30 year period. If we are being honest modern football stadiums are about milking the fans of their cash and the newer stadiums with their large concourses and attractions are designed to do just that. 

Edited by thabucks

44 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

As stands go the new Trinity is actually quite nice looking.  It's just that it's compared to the absolute work of beauty that came before it that it's judged so harshly.

When they demolished the beautiful Trinity stand my sister happened to be around and noticed they were throwing away all the old claret and blue mosaic tiles.So she collected a huge bag full and we had plans to do something with them.

Unfortunately her Bolton Wanderers supporting husband accidentally threw them  out when he was tidying up and claims he didn’t know what they were.It’s still a cause of friction years later.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

When they demolished the beautiful Trinity stand my sister happened to be around and noticed they were throwing away all the old claret and blue mosaic tiles.So she collected a huge bag full and we had plans to do something with them.

Unfortunately her Bolton Wanderers supporting husband accidentally threw them  out when he was tidying up and claims he didn’t know what they were.It’s still a cause of friction years later.

Mate, I would go absolutely nuts over that

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We have one of the last remaining truly historical English football grounds. 

Only really Villa Park, Anfield and Old Trafford left. Possibly Stamford Bridge but I would argue. 

White Hart Lane, Highbury, White Hart Lane, Main Road, Roker Park, Boleyn Ground, soon Goodison all gone. 

Villa Park should be cherished. 

It is unusual that we can still develop our ground where places like Goodison can't hence why they have to move. That is the sole reason why I don't think we will move from our current ground, possibly ever during our lifetime.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

Agreed, would require a new stadium.

Right, but a] we could not afford a stadium like that, b] the NFL would and will continue going to London rather than trekking to Birmingham no matter what, and c] we aren't going to build a new stadium, so 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

It is unusual that we can still develop our ground where places like Goodison can't hence why they have to move. That is the sole reason why I don't think we will move from our current ground, possibly ever during our lifetime.

Yes, most of those grounds were either impossible to expand or had deteriorated so badly it wasn't worth it. 

We have a very decent stadium with room where it is possible to expand. 

Old Trafford has shown what's possible. The land/house prices around Villa Park make it possible compared to eg Chelsea trying to buy surrounding properties. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yes, most of those grounds were either impossible to expand or had deteriorated so badly it wasn't worth it. 

We have a very decent stadium with room where it is possible to expand. 

Old Trafford has shown what's possible. The land/house prices around Villa Park make it possible compared to eg Chelsea trying to buy surrounding properties. 

Doug Ellis is responsible for a lot of that too

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Right, but a] we could not afford a stadium like that, b] the NFL would and will continue going to London rather than trekking to Birmingham no matter what, and c] we aren't going to build a new stadium, so 🤷‍♂️

In the near future no, some day we are going to build a new stadium.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

As interesting as all of this I can't think of anything else more to say until when/if the new plans come out. So there.

Yeah, just building a new North Stand may leave doors open for future moves, but if they announce that and eg an expanded Witton Lane stand taking us to 65,000 or something then we're staying for all time. 

• Like 1

Wonder if we ever did build a new stadium, could we just build it right beside if there is space. Spuds managed it. 

Guess it would lead to the issue of where to ground share in the interim period... I cant think of anywhere i'd want to go!

1834839_aerial_april25_730c.jpg

4 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Wonder if we ever did build a new stadium, could we just build it right beside if there is space. Spuds managed it. 

Guess it would lead to the issue of where to ground share in the interim period... I cant think of anywhere i'd want to go!

1834839_aerial_april25_730c.jpg

There isn’t enough space at present and would involve buying up all the houses on Nelson Road 

CBD63BE8-7133-46B9-91C5-1E48885A7ECA.jpeg

FB692590-6723-4A4C-98EF-C0DA485CC7B0.jpeg

46EB2222-3D33-42BC-B457-F2F9CFE056D3.jpeg.c056aac4995ddb30220397f84b38c6b3.jpeg

if everything in the red was owned by Villa we’d make lots of moolah on match days and quite a bit on non match days too. I suppose even down to the tavern and that factory in the bottom right of the pic could be bought potentially.

Im assuming the Astro pitches are not owned by Aston Hall? 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

As interesting as all of this I can't think of anything else more to say until when/if the new plans come out. So there.

Kerry Katona/fish GIF's ?

Â