The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

3 black Mercedes outside VP today.

3 black mercs in Aston?  That'll be the burger boys preparing for a drive by 

• Like 1

I have a mate at work who works as a steward in the Trinity Road stand on match days. I asked him if he's one of the staff being made redundant and he said "I don't know yet. I asked about it at work (the Villa) and was told that we have to wait and see what happens with the takeover as any new owners might want to keep people on". 

53 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

The Sun saying Lerner will accept 40 Million for us - article is unavailable though. 

It will be down to a fiver soon! But more seriously why would he suggest dropping the price if we were already talking to anyone or if anyone had made a bid of more then £40m already? :detect:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John said:

It will be down to a fiver soon! But more seriously why would he suggest dropping the price if we were already talking to anyone or if anyone had made a bid of more then £40m already? :detect:

Some of the interested parties are put off by the mess of the club apparently. They want Villa/Lerner to employ a Chief Ex with football experience on a short term contract or to front a bid to buy the club and be part of the medium term future. Cortese is mentioned as being interested according to the article. The Chinese group are the current favourites.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

30 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I have a mate at work who works as a steward in the Trinity Road stand on match days. I asked him if he's one of the staff being made redundant and he said "I don't know yet. I asked about it at work (the Villa) and was told that we have to wait and see what happens with the takeover as any new owners might want to keep people on". 

So get the bad news out of the way first?

4 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Some of the interested parties are put off by the mess of the club apparently. They want Villa/Lerner to employ a Chief Ex with football experience on the short term or to front a bid for the club in the medium term. Cortese is mentioned as being interested according to the article. The Chinese group are the favourites.

Thanks for those further details. If The Sun is right (and it is always a big if with them) it seems the talks that were mentioned may have been less far advanced than we had hoped or have hit a brick wall so we are trying to tempt them or someone else to take us over at almost any price. 

ASTON VILLA could be sold for as little as £40million as the reality of relegation bites.

Owner Randy Lerner is desperate to get out and may be willing to accept even less than the £75m which has been quoted to some interested parties.

But Lerner’s exit strategy is being hampered by Villa’s off-field meltdown after former Bank of England chief Mervyn King and ex-FA chairman David Bernstein quit the board earlier this month. At the time, Villa revealed that chairman Steve Hollis was “engaged in extensive negotiations in relation to the sale of the club”.

A Chinese consortium has been reported as the current front-runner and are said to be keen to appoint former Tottenham and Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli to sort out the on-field problems. Potential buyers, however, are being put off by the mess Villa are in from top to bottom, in all departments.

They feel Lerner and Villa need a chief executive with football experience — either to get the club in shape for a takeover on a short-term contract or to front a credible bid and be part of the club’s medium-term future. Whispers of fresh interest from Nicola Cortese, the former Southampton executive chairman, who was linked with a Villa takeover in 2014, are yet to come to anything.

Buying a football club is a leap of faith at the best of times. Relegation adds an extra level of uncertainty to a financial market which is already slow because of the forthcoming UK referendum on EU membership.

The full article - link

41 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Some of the interested parties are put off by the mess of the club apparently. They want Villa/Lerner to employ a Chief Ex with football experience on a short term contract or to front a bid to buy the club and be part of the medium term future. Cortese is mentioned as being interested according to the article. The Chinese group are the current favourites.

???? 

This makes no sense. If they're put off by the mess the club is in, surely they're not interested in buying the club?!!

They're not in a position to dictate who Lerner employs or doesn't. If they don't like the price at £75million, they're not going to tell Randy to employ x CEO to make it worth their while. They'll use it to haggle the price down and bring their own guy in once done.

However, no smoke without fire and all that, so with my Villa tinted glasses on I'm reading this as a party has conducted due diligence, identified what the club needs to move forward, and will be spending the next week or so on the verge of walking away until Randy drops his price a touch.

Gentleman- apologies for quoting your post, I know you've taken this from the Sun article, but yours was easier to quote.

I think this is part of the negotiation strategy. They are trying to whittle down the asking price from Lerner because we have no structure in place and a lot of internal issues. Losing the likes of Bernstein and King could cost Lerner a few million or stop a takeover altogether. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

36 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think this is part of the negotiation strategy. They are trying to whittle down the asking price from Lerner because we have no structure in place and a lot of internal issues. Losing the likes of Bernstein and King could cost Lerner a few million or stop a takeover altogether. 

I think 'they' don't exist, to be perfectly honest. 

• Like 2

Surely when you buy the club you clean out whos 'running' the joint and bring your own. So who cares how bad its run now. Whoever will come in will bring in their own people i would think. Theres noone left there anyway. I cant imagine a better club to buy with so much potential and so cheap!

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Surely when you buy the club you clean out whos 'running' the joint and bring your own. So who cares how bad its run now. Whoever will come in will bring in their own people i would think. Theres noone left there anyway. I cant imagine a better club to buy with so much potential and so cheap!

What if the potential buyers are as thick at running a football club as Lerner is and, therefore, they wanted football people in place at board level because they don't want to make the club any worse than it already is? 

If there is a buyer or two negotiating, it would worry me that they would want to haggle over a price if the asking price is now as low as £75m. It makes me wonder how much money they have, or are willing, to invest in the club. 

With what's gone on before with regards to Lerner's ownership, I really don't trust him to sell us to anybody decent. In fact, it would not surprise me if he is looking for someone to do a worse job than him just to make his tenure look better than it actually was! 

11 minutes ago, villarocker said:

What if the potential buyers are as thick at running a football club as Lerner is and, therefore, they wanted football people in place at board level because they don't want to make the club any worse than it already is? 

If there is a buyer or two negotiating, it would worry me that they would want to haggle over a price if the asking price is now as low as £75m. It makes me wonder how much money they have, or are willing, to invest in the club. 

With what's gone on before with regards to Lerner's ownership, I really don't trust him to sell us to anybody decent. In fact, it would not surprise me if he is looking for someone to do a worse job than him just to make his tenure look better than it actually was! 

any business deal is haggled as low as possible no matter how rich you are. 35 mil is a huge amount of money to save on a deal, if this is true!?

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put anything past them either.  I just don't think they would encourage thoughts of a sale, and bring all the questioning and spotlight that does, just to sell some season tickets. 
That's a bravely rational stance to take. Until you remember that Randy's "Shunammite" moment in 2014 and rumours of the "mystery Swiss buyer" of 2015 both coincidentally happened in the season ticket sales period.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I agree with that.Dont forget that when you buy a club ( any club in any division ) it i usually in working order.Buyers of this club know that they are buying a product that is badly broken.

10 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Surely not . I mean they only went because Lerner wouldn't let them sack reilly. Surely randy wouldn't forgo a few million pounds because of his mate .