Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Hey, i don't have to get you to warm to anybody....thats your choice. l'm not here to persuade you.

so you think that a manager that had such an effect in building Leicester, was simply because he was a hard bastard.....please afford me a bit more credit than that...a bit narrow minded if I may say so.

as for Moyes.....I too would be initially content with that appointment.....but all the credits you afford him can easily be levelled at Pearson too.

Did Pearson get leicester into europe multiple times with next to no budget? Must have missed those years of leicesters premiership success...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

over 40 but we were a mid table 2nd div club when he took over so lessons can be learnt.

Never said that wasn't the case, just think some people bring Ron Saunders into completely irrelevant things.

Yeah it's not like a team could  come from nowhere and win the league without spending big money these days 

Difference being that Ranieri is a super high profile highly experienced highly successful manager saunders wasnt

47 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Getting the players and system to suit each other, getting the players to fight, live and die ( footballing wise) together, knowing who needs a cuddle and who needs a kick, and motivating the group.

Those are essential, just like they were in 1981. They are qualities our best Manager brought to this Club not long after it was on its knees.

I think there are more than enough reasons to cite Ron Saunders.

Glad someone can see sense.

ps....and it CAN be repeated with the right choices and sensible investment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Never said that wasn't the case, just think some people bring Ron Saunders into completely irrelevant things.

Give an example?

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I can't think of any at the moment but he gets mentioned enough so I'll let you know...

He gets mentioned enough, because he and his backroom staff of Tony Barton & RoyMcLaren  were exceptional.

There were parallels that were created from modest resources and built with nous and effort.....lessons we could do well with revisiting.

No one has ever disputed that football has changed and it is more difficult.....its more difficult, not impossible as Leicester have eloquently illustrated.

Hard work, prudent decision making, sensible investment, good strong discipline and drive and desire to achieve......can take you a long way as we proved in '81

embrace it, don't dismiss it as unachievable in the modern day.

Modern day difficulties have not landed us where we are.....poor decisions have.

When Yours truly (i won't mention his name in fear of upsetting you)set out to lift our club out of the doldrums, folk could well have reminded him how good we was in the 1920's.....you know the thing of the past.....Didn't stop them applying their drive and desire.....no sign of the thoughts, it was different then, times have changed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

He gets mentioned enough, because he and his backroom staff of Tony Barton & RoyMcLaren  were exceptional.

There were parallels that were created from modest resources and built with nous and effort.....lessons we could do well with revisiting.

No one has ever disputed that football has changed and it is more difficult.....its more difficult, not impossible as Leicester have eloquently illustrated.

Hard work, prudent decision making, sensible investment, good strong discipline and drive and desire to achieve......can take you a long way as we proved in '81

embrace it, don't dismiss it as unachievable in the modern day.

Modern day difficulties have not landed us where we are.....poor decisions have.

When Yours truly (i won't mention his name in fear of upsetting you)set out to lift our club out of the doldrums, folk could well have reminded him how good we was in the 1920's.....you know the thing of the past.....Didn't stop them applying their drive and desire.....no sign of the thoughts, it was different then, times have changed.

What a ridiculous comment.

Anyway, you don't need to remind me how great he was but it does get a bit tiring hearing people constantly reference him to try and back up their point even when it has little relevance. It happens with almost every new manager - you'll get a few people popping up comparing them to Saunders when the two have very little in common other than that they've managed AVFC. If people want to compare then fine but I just think it's a bit pointless because the odds of a Villa manager doing something similar to what he did are very very unlikely and similarly it'd be harder in this day and age too. It takes a lot more to get to the top these days, certainly more than just "nous" and effort.

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What a ridiculous comment.

Anyway, you don't need to remind me how great he was but it does get a bit tiring hearing people constantly reference him to try and back up their point even when it has little relevance. It happens with almost every new manager - you'll get a few people popping up comparing them to Saunders when the two have very little in common other than that they've managed AVFC. If people want to compare then fine but I just think it's a bit pointless because the odds of a Villa manager doing something similar to what he did are very very unlikely and similarly it'd be harder in this day and age too. It takes a lot more to get to the top these days, certainly more than just "nous" and effort.

Goodnight.

How would a manager of the Ron Saunders type get on now with agents, player power and wealth. He couldn't just get rid of them if they didn't tow the line like he did. Discipline is much harder to enforce.

Edited by PaulC

Hey, i don't have to get you to warm to anybody....thats your choice. l'm not here to persuade you.

so you think that a manager that had such an effect in building Leicester, was simply because he was a hard bastard.....please afford me a bit more credit than that...a bit narrow minded if I may say so.

as for Moyes.....I too would be initially content with that appointment.....but all the credits you afford him can easily be levelled at Pearson too.

I don't think that about Pearson, my 'vs' posts were what I have said is in Moyes' favour, versus a long post I saw you write in favour of Pearson. Some long post about no longer pussy footing around, having someone a bit abrasive, bringing back the Andy Grays and Des Bremners etc etc etc

All I was saying, was that if THAT is all you have to champion Pearson, his discipline/ abrasive nature, then that isn't enough for me to think he's the right manager for us.

Lots of gettable managers are disciplined and can be tough with our squad. I just also think that other available managers have more in their back pocket than Pearson does.

I also don't think you can level Pearson's credits with Moyes'. Moyes has managed at a higher level for much longer than Pearson, and arguably has a much better record in the transfer market than Pearson.

Moyes is favourite now but Shearer and Wright on MOTD quick to say we shd have Pearson  Me thinks Shearer wants Moyes for Toon.  Get it done Villa. Announce Moyes soon (please) even if he doesnt actually take charge till Summer. 

• Like 2

I'm having a go at Garde because he was rubbish for us.

As for Black based on his first game I'm not impressed but hopefully he'll change things in the next game.

Considering I haven't commented whether I believe number 2's can or cannot make good managers your last comment is nonsense.

Stefan's comments weren't nonsense. Let's rewind, before this nonsense spirals out of control.

You said Pearson would do better than '2 wins in 20 Remi'.

I said that Remi with a transfer window would do better than '2 wins in 20 Remi', and asked if you saw how Black got on with this squad.

You then said 'who hired him? :crylaugh:'

You were having a dig at Remi's appointment of Black, even though me mentioning him was clearly a comment on the lack of quality that our squad has.

Stefan was right to point out that you were having a dig at Remi for his appointment of Black, even though most people would agree that being an assistant doesn't make you a manager.

Remi could have appointed Mourinho and Guardiola as joint Assistant Managers, but when taking over this weekend, I doubt they would have got a much better performance or result from them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He turned around Leicester twice, and a lot of Leicester fans have good things to say about him, for me it all depends on if we get his back room staff. 

I've saw this sentiment a few times mate, but in all likelihood his (former) backroom staff are going to be PL winners in a few weeks time. 

I can't see Leicester wanting to part with them or them wanting to part with Leicester.  

If you think they would rather leave the Champions and join the Championship, you my friend must be an ostrich, because your head is in the sand. :P

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Even if he did mean British it's still dumb. I'm not saying our next manager should be foreign but you have to keep your options open. Why do this "football board" think that a manager's nationality will be crucial to their success? Has it not even occurred to them that most of the players in our dressing room with bad attitudes are themselves English?

because the 3 foreign managers we have had have been shit

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This is why I'm not sold on this football board, I'm not convinced they aren't just FA old boys, don't discount Stuart Pearce or Gareth Southgate yet

I try to discount Stuart Pearce as much as possible