Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

**** off Bernstein. It's so **** idiotic. What's the point of such arbitrary restrictions?

And does this mean we won't even go for someone like Moyes?

I hope he at least meant British otherwise it sounds like the new look footballing board will be off to a great start....

I'm glad he's taking his time as well it's not like Newcastle will need a new manager or anything soon when they go down and Benitez jumps ship

Edited by AshVilla

Have many foreign managers have taken a team from the championship up? Is it something that's happened a lot.

I have no problem with the board going for a bit of a steady appointment after the gamble of Garde failed. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Have many foreign managers have taken a team from the championship up? Is it something that's happened a lot.

I have no problem with the board going for a bit of a steady appointment after the gamble of Garde failed. 

Would Steve McClaren be a "steady" appointment? Would Nigel Pearson? Garry Monk? None of those are "steady" appointments.

The fact is the manager's nationality has little relevance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Only three. Di Matteo, Tigana and Jokanovic of Watford last year. 

Would imagine he meant British otherwise we are pretty limited.

If it is to be an English manager I'd still go for Pearson as he can be as much of a clearing in the woods as he wants to the press or other teams players as long as he gets us performing.

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Even if he did mean British it's still dumb. I'm not saying our next manager should be foreign but you have to keep your options open. Why do this "football board" think that a manager's nationality will be crucial to their success? Has it not even occurred to them that most of the players in our dressing room with bad attitudes are themselves English?

Seemingly going from one extreme to another, last summer it was very much a Football Manager style transfer policy and in Garde something that could have worked in 'theory', right to way now to a much more narrow minded policy. 

There's no point getting upset yet. Let's wait until the new man is appointed. Speculation is just that, speculation. 

If or when the new board mess up the appointment by all means kick off. Just seems pointless until we actually know anything.

31 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Would Steve McClaren be a "steady" appointment? Would Nigel Pearson? Garry Monk? None of those are "steady" appointments.

The fact is the manager's nationality has little relevance.

I think Pearson would be pretty steady and so would mclaren in the championship. 

Nationality isn't relevant on its own, but mixed with experience it is. And I'd imagine most managers with championship experience that could bring us back up are English. 

29 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I hope he at least meant British otherwise it sounds like the new look footballing board will be off to a great start....

I'm glad he's taking his time as well it's not like Newcastle will need a new manager or anything soon when they go down and Benitez jumps ship

With it looking increasingly like Newcastle will be joining us, if we want Moyes I feel we need to act pretty quickly.

If Rafa runs if relegated, which im sure he will, we could face competition for moyes . To be fair i think Mike Ashley will throw more money than lerner at coming straight back, plus the fact in my opinion they currrently have a man for man far superior squad than us, I think if we hang about we'll loose out.

I'm passed trying to figure out what's best for our club but if Moyes is the man we want, then just get it done!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Pearson would be pretty steady and so would mclaren in the championship. 

Nationality isn't relevant on its own, but mixed with experience it is. And I'd imagine most managers with championship experience that could bring us back up are English. 

How would either of them be steady? Pearson is unhinged and his Leicester side last season were in relegation form for two thirds of the season and then top 4 form for the last third. Meanwhile McClaren failed miserably with Newcastle and oversaw a ridiculous collapse while at Derby last season. His entire career is basically littered with failure except at Middlesbrough and Twente the first time. That's far from steady.

Now McCarthy and Bruce for example, they're steady. I wouldn't want either but they'd be steady for us in the Championship I expect.

I agree that most managers with Championship experience are English but unfortunately that isn't what Bernstein and the board seem to want - they specifically want English/British which as I said is bone-headed.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Sam would be fine for me, but he is otherwise engaged.....so not a candidate. As for affection, i have no affection for Pearson, just think he is the right fit, for the job we have to fix.

Don't get so prickly when someone makes a suggestion you don't approve of.

as for picking out things that suit my argument, you want to practice what you preach.

Practice what you preach? Where have I picked and dwelled on unnecessary factors? You wrote a big long post about pussy footing around and needing this and that (which Pearson obviously brings). Whenever I've listed reasons for getting Moyes, I've listed a number of relevant points and managerial qualities. I've done so because there is much more to refer to with Moyes, which clearly makes him the best choice.

'Experience, promotion, a long and successful transfer history, building a team, defensive solidity etc etc.'

Vs:

'Hard Bastard'

Give me a few more meaningful reasons to warm to Pearson, and perhaps I'll not think there are ten other managers I can name that are just as qualified as he is.

• Like 3