Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Most that succeed when the ego abroad can speak the language already, though Booby Robson and Pochetino are examples of those who couldn't, but did well - so maybe he'll actually be a bit wiser as a result of his time in Spain?

A minor point as I actually completely agree with your post.

But by all accounts, Pochetino could speak English when he arrived here. He wasn't confident enough to speak it to the media, but he apparently could communicate well enough with his players.

But like I say, if anything that further backs up your point as it makes the success of managers going abroad with no language skills even rarer.

• Like 1

Just now, briny_ear said:

As far as I'm concerned, if Moyes wants the job, it's his.

Yep, same here.

I think despite some people on here's reservations, he'd be by far the stand out candidate if he's interested.

I can't even think of a higher profile manager than Moyes who we'd be remotely able to attract.

• Like 4

I'm surprised Brendan Rodgers's name doesn't come up more in this thread

Got Swansea promoted and established them in the prem playing good football

He'd be my choice

Edited by briggsy
spelling mistake

I'd assume that's because most know there isn't a snowball in hell's chance of Rodgers remotely considering us. I reckon he'll go abroad, probably Spain as he can speak the language.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

jackbauer pretty much nailed it on the head. The amount of shit he's had to deal with is unreal and the club was completely rotten to the core when he arrived. Nobody's saying he couldn't have done better or that he's been great for us but all this moaning about how terrible he is kind of gives off the impression that some people still can't see how bad things are at the club elsewhere.

but then was McLeish not hard done by then? He lost his 3 most influential players and was given a paltry fund to replace them with and ended up nzogbia and given

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but then was McLeish not hard done by then? He lost his 3 most influential players and was given a paltry fund to replace them with and ended up nzogbia and given

No I don't think so because the squad and the club wasn't in anywhere near the kind of state it's in now.

I do think he might've done a tiny bit better had Petrov not fallen ill though.

Edited by Mantis

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

No I don't think so because the squad and the club wasn't in anywhere near the kind of state it's in now.

I do think he might've done a tiny bit better had Petrov not fallen ill though.

was it really that better except Collins, Albrighton, Dunne, Keane, Bent and Petrov our current squad isnt that much better

Herd played 18 games, Warnock 32, Ireland 22(won player of season) Heskey 20, Gabby 34, Hutton 28

Also,

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

was it really that better except Collins, Albrighton, Dunne, Keane, Bent and Petrov

you mean apart from the two starting centrebacks, an influential midfielder and two good strikers (at that point)?

If you literally put those 6 players alone into this team we'd be comfortable

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It's a reasonable concern. I think when you look at the last 2 jobs he's had, he took the Essex Utd. job and didn't have much if any chance to do any squad rebuilding and inherited a club that badly needed it. He did better, perhaps arguably, that LVG has done, but without the benefit of all that money LVG has had. So personally I don't think the Trafford Town year really is a major concern about his abilities.

The job in Spain is another one where you can look at it two ways. Given the language difficulties, a different football culture, and the level of adjustment needed there's not so many coaches really do that well straight away. Most that succeed when they go abroad can speak the language already, though Booby Robson and Pochetino are examples of those who couldn't, but did well - so maybe he'll actually be a bit wiser as a result of his time in Spain?

I think if Moyes did come to Villa, given we'll be in the Championship, not Prem, it would suggest a desire to prove something, particularly given the abysmal state of the squad. It'll be a hard job for whoever does it, but TRO's list of attributes seem to me to be a good list and Moyes meets them all. Every appointment is a bit of a step into the unknown with risks and so on, but Moyes looks a lot lower risk than most others.

2 exceptional managers......Bobby was up there with the very best Imo ....ignoring trophies.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You may have a valid point....but when small heath erupt with street parties on the strength of our new appointment......i had a hunch there was trouble ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

was it really that better except Collins, Albrighton, Dunne, Keane, Bent and Petrov our current squad isnt that much better

Herd played 18 games, Warnock 32, Ireland 22(won player of season) Heskey 20, Gabby 34, Hutton 28

Back then the collection of players we had was comfortably better than what we have now. There was also a lot less upheaval - McLeish had a full pre-season and didn't have to deal with a lot of what Garde has had to.

I think the one thing that Garde has easier than Mcleish is expectations. 

We expected more from that team when in reality Mcleish was told to cut the wage bill and survive. Most just expected Garde to make a few consistent improvements but still go down. 

If roles were reversed and results the samd I'd imagine Garde would have been given more than a year to shape things and Mcleish would have been assassinated after the 6-0 loss to Liverpool. 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

The manager that I want:

• has a decent record in the transfer market
  • Is conversant with Championship/premier league
  • has a clear /coherent process of instilling method in to a team
  • has a tough ,durable character.....has presence.
  • Has a previous record of restructuring a squad.
  • has shown an understanding of being able to build balance in to a team.

thats my prerequisite.

That would be Nigel Pearson then. IMO

I hope we get Nigel Pearson, I don't think Moyes its up to scratch with the football league of present.

Pearson finished with 102 points with a 9 point gap from Burnley.  He may not have a Steve Walsh with him, but he would still make a big difference to our footballing staff.

The fact that the board are looking for a Head of Football Operations could possibly mean that this role would be more suited for a Pearson, Monk type of manager.