Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like your "Pashun"

I think is all to do with any incoming manager wants to know what the budget is for player transactions, before committing.

In view of Remi's episode ( right or wrong) they want some assurances they will have the tools to do the job.

My understanding is.....The main board don't know what that figure is at present....so it could be not until the season closes before we know.

I was rather hoping that was not going to happen....but Hey Ho

Haha, I have to say I've never used the PASHUN tag, but when it comes to Villa we all care a little too much for our own good. 

Well that in bold is totally understandable - the board and Lerner need to get their act together sharpish.

29 minutes ago, a m ole said:

So you wouldn't be annoyed if it was, say, Harry Redknapp?

I really wouldn't. 

I was desperate for Lambert to be manager, he took away my enjoyment for the sport. 

I was happy with Sherwood, he let me down big time.

I said Garde was the manager that would spark my interest in villa again, he was shit. 

I'm really open to pretty much anyone getting this job for next year. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What about telling his own fans to "**** off and die"?

I've said it before, but can you actually imagine the reaction on VillaTalk, especially from posters with the same opinion of him as you, if Remi Garde had done that to the Villa fans?

We only see / hear the part where he responds. What about the repeated taunts and insults which from what I hear from Leicester fans it was aimed at his family. If any Villa fan acted like that at a match I wouldn't be impressed to say the least. 

The headline is always "famous person calls someone a c***!" It's never "famous person bullied by crowd of people but that's ok cos they have paid to get in". 

Strangling McArthur is odd though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Some people are clearly missing the point.

No one, from what I've seen, is saying that Pearson's character is the sole reason we don't want him. It's that he's not that good a manager, and therefore his negatives aren't worth the hassle for a pretty average manager with a pretty average record.

David Moyes win ratio 44% (including Man United 52%, Preston 48% and Evergay 42% Sociedad 29%)

Nigel Pearson win ratio 43% (including 16% at Carlisle, Southampton 21%, Leicester 51%, Hull (financially limited after relegation) 35% and Leicester 47%)  

I have said before these stats can be misleading but it shows that Pearson isn't a bad manager and those saying he is might need to peruse his record a bit more. 

But it has to be said Moyes' record is over twice as many matches. 

16 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

We only see / hear the part where he responds. What about the repeated taunts and insults which from what I hear from Leicester fans it was aimed at his family. If any Villa fan acted like that at a match I wouldn't be impressed to say the least. 

The headline is always "famous person calls someone a c***!" It's never "famous person bullied by crowd of people but that's ok cos they have paid to get in". 

Strangling McArthur is odd though. 

I'll repeat my question.

Regardless of the circumstances, can you imagine the reaction on here if Garde had done the same thing to Villa fans? Say last month?

He'd have been totally crucified, by many of the same people who are passing Pearson doing it off as nothing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I really wouldn't. 

I was desperate for Lambert to be manager, he took away my enjoyment for the sport. 

I was happy with Sherwood, he let me down big time.

I said Garde was the manager that would spark my interest in villa again, he was shit. 

I'm really open to pretty much anyone getting this job for next year. 

fair enough.

I just don't see Moyes happening. I can see him at Celtic because they have a decent budget, CL football every year, and with Rangers back there will be a renewed interest in the league. I can also see him at any number of mid-table PL clubs if they want a change in manager after a bad start to the season, and he's also mentioned managing elsewhere in Europe. We're not an attractive proposition for most managers, let alone a cautious type like Moyes.

As much as I think it would be a good appointment, I don't see it happening at all.

Olof Mellberg just won his managerial league debut with Brommapojkarna in the Swedish 2nd division 

2-0 against Piteå

In the interview after the game he said: "Not many teams are gonna beat us at attitude, energy or aggressiveness. You can talk about ball tempo and all that other stuff, but in the end it all comes down to attitude, and there we are strong" 

God I loved Olly, no one hates losing more than him.

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'll repeat my question.

Regardless of the circumstances, can you imagine the reaction on here if Garde had done the same thing to Villa fans? Say last month?

He'd have been totally crucified, by many of the same people who are passing Pearson doing it off as nothing.

Yes he would have, i don't think it's nothing but I do feel we are human and make mistakes. Some people compare the situation with what happened in the FA cup as the players got on the coach and gum gate. Lescott told them to F*** off at the time.

I'm still trying to figure out how he is not that good a manager though? Oh right, I guess the promotions through the leagues were down to the manager before him, and the miracle escape and team foundation were set by by Ranieri before he got there...

Oh just remembered nah that is down to his backroom staff, which as I said if is the case we need to start hiring backroom staff instead of manager...

Your constructive and well thought out sarcasm is misplaced JV.

Promotions through the lower leagues? You could find another 15 managers who have done that in recent years, therefore this alone shouldn't make him a standout candidate.

The miracle escape last season was impressive, but let's not forget that he got them into the poor position in the first place. Overall, he got a team promoted into the Prem and keep them there. Lots of other managers have done that. So, again, why is he a standout candidate?

And you comment about backroom staff is just pointless. No one is saying that backroom staff are more important than managers, but it's fairly obvious that a manager can't do everything by himself, therefore if ANY manager has a great record somewhere, it must be considered that him and his team are creditable. Even if we can't be certain of which parts of the team are responsible for which elements of the success.

There are countless managers who have a list of achievements matching Pearson's. A few lower league promotions, a few play off appearances and one promotion and survival in the Prem is nothing to shout about.

Why is Pearson favourite, and why is he favoured so much by people? I would hazard a guess it is largely because of how Leicester are now doing without him.

Is that a good enough reason to get a manager?

West Ham have done better since sacking Big Sam after he got them promotion, but he'll be viewed no better than a Moyes/ Pulis experienced manager.

Southampton have done better without Adkins, after he got them promoted. Is Adkins up there with Pearson in the favourites?

Nope. Because he's not flavour of the month like Pearson.

• Like 2

He's been unemployed for nearly a year, I can't see how he's flavour of the month. 

Pearson has done more than any other potential candidate has done recently. Maybe that's why people favour him and not because they're somehow brainwashed by Leicester without him 

What's Dennis Mortimer's thoughts on the EU? Or how to tackle global terrorism? Or handle the financial crisis?

Dennis Mortimer might have been a glorious and successful player for us, 30 years ago. But that doesn't mean he's much more qualified to comment on who should be Villa's manager in 2016 than he is on any of the above.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think Pearson would be anywhere near as highly thought of if Leicester weren't doing so well without him.

It's quite bizarre when you think about it.

Is he that well thought of? We're talking about a job in the championship for one of the biggest jokes in professional football. I'm sure what he did for Leicester and not what they've done this year is relevant for the position we're in. for me that's what I think of. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Is he that well thought of? We're talking about a job in the championship for one of the biggest jokes in professional football. I'm sure what he did for Leicester and not what they've done this year is relevant for the position we're in. for me that's what I think of. 

In the context that we're talking in, yes he is well thought of. He's many people's favourite for the job.

That might be what you think of, but I bet if Leicester had had a mediocre season this season a lot of people wouldn't have Pearson so highly favoured for our job. Which like I said is quite bizarre.

• Like 1