Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

To be honest I was all for waiting until the end of the season but this current mess could do with someone coming in as soon as relegation has been confirmed.

We could probably do one deal before the transfer window opens, could show the fans a bit of intent at least (I don't mean Gary O'Neil). I'll be pretty disappointed if we weren't active from the go, a lot of work to do and very little time to do it in.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, if known thinkers Stan Collymore and David James want him, he must be the right man for the job!

I think the Bruce rumours are interesting, I wonder how much influence Black would have on things.

In looking for clues, I can't find anything that puts any of the candidates barring Grayson at the same club as Little, I'm not sure if any of them have previously worked under Bernstein, Bevington or the rest of the football board and I'm struggling for anyone that might have worked with Jimmy Sinclair in Scotland unless it Mcallister or Strachan!

It remains a mystery and hopefully will do until we're clear of the wreck that is this season.

i wouldn't be sure he is the right man for the job, but I think with whats on offer its as good as.

I don't think anyone can say their man is sure to be right.....its all speculation.

as for thinkers.....Stan comes across well versed, but is doing a media job, so inevitably will stir reactions as is David James.....but its difficult to ignore their comments.

I just happen to think Nigel will be as good as what we need.

hang me:D

I imagine a new manager will be in place shortly after relegation is confirmed. It makes sense all round, probably won't take an active roll and will be just announced but then the new manager doesn't have relegation on his CV and Villa can try and create a positive story instead of focus on the relegation story. I think it'll be a case of relegated Saturday, new manager, kit and badge announced within two weeks and try to boost season ticket sales with the positive angle.

The exception to this will be if the manager is still employed elsewhere. There is no reason once we're mathematically relegated not to get new guy in so if it doesn't happen quickly after next weekend I think we can count out Moyes and Pearson and start focusing more on Bruce or McCarthy.

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

as for thinkers.....Stan comes across well versed, but is doing a media job, so inevitably will stir reactions as is David James.....but its difficult to ignore their comments.

Difficult, yes...but generally worth the effort.

I remain someone who would be disappointed with Pearson, I think if we get the appointment right, then the manager will help define what we are - I'd hate to think that the club would be made in the image of a dog average bully - that said, I wouldn't be overly surprised if I get the chance to find out.

For me, a club in a situation like ours need someone that can carry the flag, someone we can rally around and who we can take pride in sparking a revolution. I think Moyes can do that, I think a young manager with a bit about them might have a chance of doing that, I think Pearson would be immediately divisive and I'm not sure he's good enough to overcome that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I remain someone who would be disappointed with Pearson, I think if we get the appointment right, then the manager will help define what we are - I'd hate to think that the club would be made in the image of a dog average bully - that said, I wouldn't be overly surprised if I get the chance to find out.

For me, a club in a situation like ours need someone that can carry the flag, someone we can rally around and who we can take pride in sparking a revolution. I think Moyes can do that, I think a young manager with a bit about them might have a chance of doing that, I think Pearson would be immediately divisive and I'm not sure he's good enough to overcome that.

Thing about it though, despite his fractured relationship with the media, the board..he never once, at any club appeared to lose the dressing room. His players always seemed to like him.

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Thing about it though, despite his fractured relationship with the media, the board..he never once, at any club appeared to lose the dressing room. His players always seemed to like him.

The players liked Sherwood - that isn't the only battle the new manager will face here. We're a difficult club to manage.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, av1 said:

Would they rather be relegated? Probably not no, but it's not that simple is it? Because do you think that Pulis is the only reason they have stayed up? 

I think a lot of baggies fans would be confident they could find a manager that would keep them up whilst at least trying to play football. 

They'd be wrong. That squad is atrocious. The ONLY thing they have going for them is a solid defensive unit. And Sessegnon. **** Sessegnon. Don't get me wrong I hate Pulis, he's an enemy of football and I don't think we need to go there, but he's absolutely the right man for WBA at the moment. Genius appointment. 

Hughton is a strange one. 

I find myself drawn to him. I know a lot of Norwich fans didn't rate him and at the time neither did I. Something was "off" with that squad perhaps and I am massively concerned that any new manager who comes in will have to deal with whatever is "off" here too. Then, most managers go through funny spells like that. 

That said, Newcastle fans love him. The noses love him. Brighton fans love him. He's been very, very successful at that level.  Cautious football or not, I don't care. He's hardly Tony Pulis. 

He'd definitely be in for an interview, if he were interested of course. But can we really wait till after the playoffs?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hughton is a strange one. 

I find myself drawn to him. I know a lot of Norwich fans didn't rate him and at the time neither did I. Something was "off" with that squad perhaps and I am massively concerned that any new manager who comes in will have to deal with whatever is "off" here too. Then, most managers go through funny spells like that. 

That said, Newcastle fans love him. The noses love him. Brighton fans love him. He's been very, very successful at that level.  Cautious football or not, I don't care. He's hardly Tony Pulis. 

He'd definitely be in for an interview, if he were interested of course. But can we really wait till after the playoffs?

100% agree

I think he would be a success if joined us, only problem is he may end up arriving late and he may not have enough time to asses the squad and prepare us for the season ahead

Edited by Reivax_Villa

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly. There is a silver lining to this very dark cloud, and that is we now have the opportunity to completely rebuild this club from the inside out without the looming threat of relegation from the Premier League getting in the way of serious long term planning. I'll be bitterly disappointed if the man chosen to do that is someone like Pearson.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I think Steve Bruce would be an appallingly bad appointment 

Same here. Horribly overrated manager who plays appalling negative football, and yet another ex Small Heath boss. Just what is our obsession with that lot? It used to be the other way around. 

For crying out loud just employ Moyes and bring some common sense and a bit of ambition back to the club before we tumble even further down the leagues. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jon_c said:

Keep hearing about how we have all this footballing knowledge on the board, but all the favourite candidates are from a list that could have been drawn up by your average Sun journalist or SSN pundit level of knowledge.

Well that's because

(a) they are, that's why they ae in the papers, and

(b) the ten or so mentioned are indeed the only realistic candidates.

I'm not sure how footballing knowledge on the Board can either invent better candidates or prevent fans reading articles by journalists and assuming they are true.

I am praying hull go up so we font. Go for fist face! Hughton or rowett please if not moyes.

top three re odds wise are person, fistface and McCarthy. Moyes seems to have drifted 6/1 damn it

our of those three would have to be Pearson for me reluctantly 

Edited by Demitri_C

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I imagine a new manager will be in place shortly after relegation is confirmed. It makes sense all round, probably won't take an active roll and will be just announced but then the new manager doesn't have relegation on his CV and Villa can try and create a positive story instead of focus on the relegation story. I think it'll be a case of relegated Saturday, new manager, kit and badge announced within two weeks and try to boost season ticket sales with the positive angle.

The exception to this will be if the manager is still employed elsewhere. There is no reason once we're mathematically relegated not to get new guy in so if it doesn't happen quickly after next weekend I think we can count out Moyes and Pearson and start focusing more on Bruce or McCarthy.

ChapmanRoll1.gif.opt_medium.gif

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Same here. Horribly overrated manager who plays appalling negative football, and yet another ex Small Heath boss. Just what is our obsession with that lot? It used to be the other way around. 

For crying out loud just employ Moyes and bring some common sense and a bit of ambition back to the club before we tumble even further down the leagues. 

I'm not keen on Bruce - but I'm good friends with 2 Evertonians who say Moyes was as negative as they come, and I must admit I always found Everton extremely unattractive to watch.

However, having made that point, I am wondering what all this fuss against Managers who set up to be 'hard to beat' or are 'defensive' or even, recently 'counter attacking'.as if these were all dirty words. Are there people here who don't want us to be hard to beat ? 

We are so far off the scale in the other direction (easy to beat) that whoever comes in needs to make it their priority. We can't afford anything else.

We wont get rid of all the players, so someone has to instil a hardness into this lot that they have previously shown no glimmer of. I'm afraid that whilst attacking, or even nice tippy tappy possession, football, are all very pleasing on the eye, you cannot play that way with a bunch of frail players.  The most free flowing football still has to start with grit, desire, spirit, endeavour, work rate, etc.  We are miles from having that.

So whoever we get, if they are to have any chance of succeeding, will have to focus on those qualities, plus defensive organisation and resilience, long, long before thye look to branch out. 

We are not just a relegated Club, we are a Club that has been diseased for ages, mentally shot to pieces.  We also have a crowd that will, for a few months, accept dull football if we are winning, but will in no way accept entertaining football if we are losing. We are not Newcastle in the nineties under Keegan.   We can't go 'win or bust' or anything approaching it, until we have a long long run of being mean and nasty.

So I'm afraid 'negative' football is likely on its way whoever we get. At least, I hope so.