Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Can't see why Bruce would leave if his team are chasing a playoff/promotion spot right now. 

Surely a chance of premiership football is better than guaranteed championship football for next season?

• Like 1

Keep hearing about how we have all this footballing knowledge on the board, but all the favourite candidates are from a list that could have been drawn up by your average Sun journalist or SSN pundit level of knowledge.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You won't see me at VP next season if it's potato head

If Bruce ends up here it proves we've finally found the bottom of the barrel to scrape. The only way we could possibly sink any lower is if that clown Mick McCarthy is in our dug out next season. 

• Like 1

My biggest worry is that we wont get anyone in before the summer.

Bernstein however,  did say that 'We've got to get a bit of a move on' so i presume that the board are aware of how important this is..

If Sunderland win today we may get to see some movement at the club in the following week.

17 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Keep hearing about how we have all this footballing knowledge on the board, but all the favourite candidates are from a list that could have been drawn up by your average Sun journalist or SSN pundit level of knowledge.

So you have seen the shortlist then?

@Jareth - Because Bruce has a predictable run of form - 1st season scrapes relegation, 2nd season scrapes relegation, 3rd season relegated.

Yes, he has got several teams promoted but he is very limited in his coaching - he relies on all-graft and no style from his players. As soon as he brings in a 'flair' player or two it goes horribly wrong (he did it with both Blose and Hull).

I don't think we should 'settle' for the likes of Bruce, Pearson and McCarthy - we are still a big club and now hopefully with some of the moronic decision makers gone we'll begin to act like a big club again.

I actually think the new manager will come in following our 'official' relegation as to not have the actual drop on their CV. It would be handy if they came in and assessed the squad ahead of the expected cull this summer and get their wishlist in place early doors.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

If Bruce ends up here it proves we've finally found the bottom of the barrel to scrape. The only way we could possibly sink any lower is if that clown Mick McCarthy is in our dug out next season. 

I really cannot fathom how you can possibly post this? Bruce has managed over 700 games, McCarthy has managed over 800 games. Both have knowledge and experience of the championship so how we are scraping the bottom of the barrel is beyond me. Our last two managers had no experience at all, one was a glorified youth team coach and the other one was french tv football pundit who hadn't done a bloody thing for 4 years. We have already scraped the bottom of the barrel and found nothing but shit!

Bruce and McCarthy would both be decent appointments for our failure of a club

Bruce to me is someone who has a ceiling, hell no doubt make us playoff contenders next year and make us solid, maybe even get us promoted but then we'll be no better in the prem then we have been for the last 5 years

No long term forward thinking plan

I don't want to suffer relegation and a year in the championship just to scrape promotion and go join the happy to be here brigade in the prem

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So you have seen the shortlist then?

I have,

there are only two names on it.

John Carver and Dwight Yorke :detect:

Edited by KHV

This is all guess work though right? I mean, we haven't seen the actual list they've drawn up. Could consist of people like Mourinho.

It could also consist of Pepe Mel and Ian Holloway.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bruce to me is someone who has a ceiling, hell no doubt make us playoff contenders next year and make us solid, maybe even get us promoted but then we'll be no better in the prem then we have been for the last 5 years

No long term forward thinking plan

I don't want to suffer relegation and a year in the championship just to scrape promotion and go join the happy to be here brigade in the prem

I think we should follow the West Ham plan, get somebody solid in to get us back up. Consolidate for a couple of seasons when back up and then replace him.

Brighton look so good this season, i would love to see villa play with a similar style next season.

Surely Chris Houghton must be one of the managers on the list, he has never finished outside the top 6 in the Championship he needs to be heavily considered.  Him, Moyes Pearson and i would be happy.

3 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

This is all guess work though right? I mean, we haven't seen the actual list they've drawn up. Could consist of people like Mourinho.

It could also consist of Pepe Mel and Ian Holloway.

I know, and if we get someone different I'll be pleasantly surprised, but like a lot a people with years of experience following Villa, I have a bad feeling about this.

• Like 1

On 28 March 2016 at 11:26, Demitri_C said:

If it is Bruce then so be it! As said above we could do worse.

On the fact Brian Little has said we have not spoken to anybody yet, i think we all need to cut the new Board some slack quite frankly. I understand the desperation to get things sorted asap but i also think we have to guard against the "Want it now" culture that exists currently. This is a crucial decision for the future of the club and it has to be the right one else oblivion beckons! ...Do you really want them to rush that decision?

Of course there is the little matter of other teams like Newcastle also looking for a new manager if we leave it too long but frankly if they would rather go to those clubs than us when given the choice then they clearly were not right for us anyway!!!

Yes Lerner is still here but we can't do much about that until he sells, which is not entirely in his control, so for me we simply have to put some faith in the new board and let them do as they see necessary to sort this royal mess out!

I believe this is the biggest decision i have been around to see in 40 years as a Villa fan and i want them to be as certain as is possible that the decisions made between now & the start of the new season are the correct ones.

They have to find the man and players who can turn this ship around

They have to sort the budgeting for a Championship season and no doubt make drastic cuts.

They also have to rid the club of the hangers on and then source players capable of winning that division.

So much to do but the real biggy is getting the right manager in so i am fine with that taking a little longer especially as many of the good ones are not going to leave their clubs with 5 games to go and most definitely are not going to come here until we are officially branded as relegated as this will like it or not go on their CV!!

I also think that as soon as relegation is confirmed we need to find a way to make peace with the team. What player is going to want to stay here with such a toxic atmosphere? We are down, we know we are and so do the players. But we need to now give a very good reason for the players who could play a big part in bringing us straight back up, to stay here.

Yes of course there are some who need to leave but it's effectively a new beginning next season. New board, new manager, new division and new players no doubt, so i think that now it's done & dusted we need to find a way to make Aston Villa an appealing place to come again. We need to accept that this seasons team, board and management have or soon will be gone and give ourselves a great chance of winning the division next season by moving on and not berating the new people without even giving them a chance!!..So maybe it's actually US who need to get a move on and get over it asap?!

This season is over! Done!! FINITO!! We got relegated!! ...So what! Move on!!  Lets support the new board and start looking forward to a fantastic opportunity to finally start winning some games and putting some pride back in the Lion!! That is for me the absolute best way we can now support our club and i thought we said Villa fans were the best did we not?

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Why not Bruce though? What single reason (other than personal dislike) is there not to employ him in our position?

Steve Bruce has had an interesting managerial career, many clubs.

I think the common theme for me is that initally he does well at clubs with a limited budget and then when he gets a larger budget and a chance to push on he just signs very average over the hill British players and the side gets relegated.

He did well at SHA for first 3 seasons, got them promoted and kept them comfortably up, year they got relegated they signed likes of Melchiot, Jesper Gronkjaer, Heskey etc, the spirit was eroded and they went down meekly.

He did pretty well at Wigan, he signed a very good team there. Palacios, Figueroa, Valencia.

Started off well at Sunderland but they never recovered from losing Bent and Gyan within a few months. Bruce's solution was to sign Conor Wickham for 10m.

Hull. Did well getting them up on limited budget, did very well the next season keeping them in the prem and also getting them to a cup final where they could've easily beaten Arsenal. Then what happens they sign likes of Dawson and Huddlestone and go down.

I would be worried if he got us straight back up and we then gave him a good transfer budget for the premier league, it would be all the issues we've had for the last 5 years recurring.

Much rather have Moyes. Or Pearson.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If your not asking/ implying for somebody who plays silky football....then i have read your posts wrong.....maybe a more targeted style or a few managers you would favour might give us an inclination of your wishes.

I've already discussed this at length. I don't know where you got the idea from that I wanted someone that plays really silky football because I've said time and time again that Moyes is my preferred choice and his teams are hardly renowned for amazing football. I also said that if Allardyce was available I'd take him to. Ideally I'd like us to adopt a more modern style but I accept the situation we're in. Just no Pulis please, it's not worth it.