Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The board at this present time need a yes man. Pearson is not this.

That makes no sense at all. The board want someone who can set the team up to win games.

3 minutes ago, babyblue said:

A manager who took us from league one to the premier league and kept us up, only has three months of good form? How exactly do you come to that conclusion.

League One! Well done.

Yep, three months. Nutcase. Arsehole.

I mean, he's not Tim, so he does have some things going for him.

21 minutes ago, babyblue said:

I don't care whether he becomes your manager or not, I'd rather he was out of work and didn't try and poach his ex assistants from us.

Actually yes I did go on to Newcastle and Sunderland forums, for the same reason I am here. I see a lot of nonsense written about him, with very few seemingly able to understand the job he had to do both times here.

If you don't want him that's fine, but I'm trying to give insight in to the job he actually did. Rather than people just going off minimal information, or basing it just on what they might have seen last year. I'm sorry that what I'm saying doesn't work with how you feel, I'm just telling you what happened.

I see you in a situation very very similar to the one he took over when he first arrived here. Big black cloud over us, almost all and every decision from the top down was wrong. He walked in and changed everything.

Come on Nige, this is all a little on the nose now!

19 minutes ago, babyblue said:

I've already explained that he was let down on recruitment last summer, he was well aware of what we needed and was again at the end of last season. Fuchs, Kante, Okazaki, Huth, all his signings and all integral to us this year.

Were they though? Or were they recommended by that head scout/technical director (or whatever his role was) who was reportedly poached by Arsenal? I thought you guys had a similar system to us in terms of stat based signings. Which if so, has little to do with the manager.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

League One! Well done.

Yep, three months. Nutcase. Arsehole.

I mean, he's not Tim, so he does have some things going for him.

You do realise that between league one and the premier league is the championship don't you? Now, as much as you might want to sneer and look down your nose at lower leagues, you will in all probability find yourself in one of them next year, so you might do well do get someone who has a track record of dealing with a situation you're going to find yourself in. Low moral, cost cutting, major squad surgery, poor decision making throughout the club, he'll sort that shit out.

But, if you think he's a nutcase and an arsehole, despite him being here year after year without any issues prior to last seasons hatchet job. That's up to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Isa said:

Were they though? Or were they recommended by that head scout/technical director (or whatever his role was) who was reportedly poached by Arsenal? I thought you guys had a similar system to us in terms of stat based signings. Which if so, has little to do with the manager.

Our head scout is Steve Walsh, yes they would have been recommended by him and the scouting team he set up. But he's still here, Arsenal just got an analyst. Pearson put him in place, he followed him to Hull and back. He's Pearson's man.... as I said in my very first post, you would need to get him as well. That for me is the biggest issue, if you can't get Walsh from us, then I wouldn't take Pearson. He's only proven in that team framework.

Our system uses stats, but it's still heavily built around watching people in person as well. The stats are just part of it, Walsh is very much the man with the eye. It's well documented he went to watch another player and spotted Mahrez. Anyway I digress, it's a department setup by Pearson and Walsh. 

• Like 1

If Leicester had tanked this season. Or not even tanked, just not been the outsider to take advantage of the worst season ever for the top sides, Pearson wouldn't be in the conversation - it's crazy. He's sat at home and watch his stock get higher and higher contributing nothing to their season.

It makes me sad thinking how we could've got on if we'd done the sensible thing and sacked Tim at the same time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, babyblue said:

You do realise that between league one and the premier league is the championship don't you? Now, as much as you might want to sneer and look down your nose at lower leagues, you will in all probability find yourself in one of them next year, so you might do well do get someone who has a track record of dealing with a situation you're going to find yourself in. Low moral, cost cutting, major squad surgery, poor decision making throughout the club, he'll sort that shit out.

But, if you think he's a nutcase and an arsehole, despite him being here year after year without any issues prior to last seasons hatchet job. That's up to you.

Yes I am aware there is a division between.

I don't think a manager getting promoted from League One qualifies him for the Villa job.

I don't think a manager losing in the playoffs with the best team in the league qualifies him for the Villa job.

He's going to get the Villa job because another manager is winning the league, it's remarkable.

15 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Have a quick look on his wiki page, basic info but it's a start for you.

Full aware of his rich history of managing lower league sides and scraping around his whole career already thanks.

2 minutes ago, babyblue said:

A manager who took us from league one to the premier league and kept us up, only has three months of good form? How exactly do you come to that conclusion.

I think you have to respect what Pearson achieved and I definitely liked the way he protected his players at that famous press conference; players appreciate that sort of thing.

The biggest proof of the state of Leicester as a club was the fact that the turn around was actually possible - no one can make the same claim about Villa with any seriousness.

Ranieri just happened to be the right manager at the right time and there is no guarantee that he would have been the right manager in the Championship.

And there is Leicester's good luck which doesn't detract from their achievement, just like Villa's didn't, back in the day.

As you say, signing Huth worked out wonderfully for Leicester but for Villa, although they have been similarly fortunate in the past with the signing of experienced defenders, signing Senderos, Lescott and Richards have not worked out well, even if Villa were responding to a demand from the fans to bring in more experience.

Who would have believed that Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Arsenal would all self-destruct or otherwise under-perform, at exactly the same time?

Who would have thought that Vardy would have an epiphany and have a manager who has been willing to play exactly to his strengths?

And in the end the Leicester fans have to take credit for not demanding that Leicester play a different way, which has been the origin of many of Villa managers' problems from Lambert onwards.

Would Pearson have achieved what Ranieri has achieved? I very much doubt it. But I am not sure Ranieri would have got Leicester promoted twice, either.

Horses for courses!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

What part of the miracle finish to last season to stay up was sustainable. It was about a 1% chance that he managed to keep them up. If it was sustainable they would have been around midtable all season like WBA this season.

This isn't logical. Why does it matter when he scored the points? What matters is that he scored them. 

I'm reading an awful lot of people in this thread who seem to think that finishing in 14th when you'd been 20th for 6 months is no sort of an achievement at all, but who think finishing 14th having stayed in 14th all season is fine. 

LLLWWW is materially no different to WLWLWL. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

This isn't logical. Why does it matter when he scored the points? What matters is that he scored them. 

I'm reading an awful lot of people in this thread who seem to think that finishing in 14th when you'd been 20th for 6 months is no sort of an achievement at all, but who think finishing 14th having stayed in 14th all season is fine. 

LLLWWW is materially no different to WLWLWL. 

You're right, but it also works the other way round.

56 minutes ago, babyblue said:

I don't care whether he becomes your manager or not, I'd rather he was out of work and didn't try and poach his ex assistants from us.

Actually yes I did go on to Newcastle and Sunderland forums, for the same reason I am here. I see a lot of nonsense written about him, with very few seemingly able to understand the job he had to do both times here.

If you don't want him that's fine, but I'm trying to give insight in to the job he actually did. Rather than people just going off minimal information, or basing it just on what they might have seen last year. I'm sorry that what I'm saying doesn't work with how you feel, I'm just telling you what happened.

I see you in a situation very very similar to the one he took over when he first arrived here. Big black cloud over us, almost all and every decision from the top down was wrong. He walked in and changed everything.

Fair points ! Good luck with the rest of your season ! It's good to have a reasoned debate with a fan from another club. Credit to you 

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes I am aware there is a division between.

I don't think a manager getting promoted from League One qualifies him for the Villa job.

I don't think a manager losing in the playoffs with the best team in the league qualifies him for the Villa job.

He's going to get the Villa job because another manager is winning the league, it's remarkable.

Again, you seem to have missed out him getting promoted from the Championship and absolutely smashing that league to pieces.

Losing in the playoffs with the best team? Eh? He had to take over Svens bloated expensive squad full of highly paid crap who didn't care. It takes time to do that, he turned us from a pile of shite losing 3-0 at home to Millwall under Sven, to runaway league winners. He gutted the squad and the one we came up with barely resembled what he took over. Don't look at the money Sven spent and think we were the best team in the league. Pearson wheeled and dealed and in the end only only had a net spend of about £5m for a whole new squad. 

He'd get the Villa job based on him being able to sort a club out from top to bottom, from being able to get a team promoted and keep them up. 

• Like 4