The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Chris Grayling faces potential bill of up to £28m

No. He doesn't. We do.

This level of incompetence in a government minister should be criminal. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

I see there are rumours (that have been very much denied) that the Labour leadership are not going to push for a referendum until after a withdrawal agreement has been agreed in the Commons.

What would be the point of that other than just to push it for show?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I see there are rumours (that have been very much denied) that the Labour leadership are not going to push for a referendum until after a withdrawal agreement has been agreed in the Commons.

What would be the point of that other than just to push it for show?

The 'plan' I've seen suggested is that it appears to be they will back a deal on the proviso that it is taken back to a referendum for the people to sign off the final decision in a deal v remain referendum. 

A having a cake and eating it approach, of course.

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

No. He doesn't. We do.

This level of incompetence in a government minister should be criminal. 

If he was a local councillor, he could be personally surcharged for the cost of manifestly unreasonable decisions.  MPs have decided that they can't be so punished.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The 'plan' I've seen suggested is that it appears to be they will back a deal on the proviso that it is taken back to a referendum for the people to sign off the final decision in a deal v remain referendum. 

A having a cake and eating it approach, of course.

I have seen that but I have also seen that suggested that they won''t back a referendum unless there's a deal agreed, too. I guess we'll see when motions are laid down, amendments moved and the party leadership actually decide upon a position (probably somewhere like halfway through the debate). :)

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Labour are a disgrace. Like a footballer staring at an open goal but not scoring because he can’t decide whether kick it or head it over the line. 

Then decide to walk away because they don't like the shape of the ball

• Like 2

In Madrid last week, a senior politician told me that he was watching the Brexit crisis with growing astonishment. “England, the mother of parliaments,” he said, shaking his head. “We’ve looked up to them for so long.” Meanwhile an Italian friend who arrived in London on a delayed train — French customs officers are having a pre-Brexit strike at the Gare du Nord in Paris, delaying London-bound trains and demanding extra compensation — was also amazed. “We think our democracies are weak, elsewhere in Europe. But even if you took a bunch of Italians, Poles and Hungarians, kept them up all night and got them drunk, they still wouldn’t come up with anything as disastrous as what we are seeing in the House of Commons.”

Washington Post

• Like 2

Â