The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Does it? How do you suppose that?

p.s. I always loved rock cakes.

it may gain some benefits from closer long term custom ties whilst maintaining it’s strongly desired ties to UK sovereignty.

37 minutes ago, brommy said:

Gibraltar may keep some long term ties to the custom union but the bottom line will remain - UK sovereignty.

And...

' Not sure what all the fuss over Spain/Gibraltar is. Spain will have a say in any changes to Gibraltar’s sovereignty.'

' Looks like Gibraltar gets to keep its cake and eat it. '

'it may gain some benefits from closer long term custom ties'

Again, what on earth are you on about? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

And...

' Not sure what all the fuss over Spain/Gibraltar is. Spain will have a say in any changes to Gibraltar’s sovereignty.'

' Looks like Gibraltar gets to keep its cake and eat it. '

'it may gain some benefits from closer long term custom ties'

Again, what on earth are you on about? :D

Perhaps it’s too late for some!. 😂

To make it more obvious, my comments were in relation to an earlier comment that May had as good as given away Gibraltar. I don’t see how anything that has been currently released in relation to the withdrawal agreement that relinquishes UK sovereignty of Gibraltar. It’s a non-issue.

Edited by brommy

10 hours ago, brommy said:

To make it more obvious, my comments were in relation to an earlier comment that May had as good as given away Gibraltar.

12 hours ago, brommy said:
13 hours ago, snowychap said:

It's not about sovereignty, is it?

Looks like Gibraltar gets to keep its cake and eat it. 👍

Your initial comment about 'cake' was in response to my post that it wasn't about sovereignty (in my mind, having read the two things posted in that tweet last night, i.e. the letter and the supposed EU statement text).

The point I made (by quoting from the Grauniad's article and the tweet as above) was about Spain's involvement in the future discussions about Gibraltar's future relationship with the EU, i.e. that any deal appears that it will require a prior agreement with Spain.

Still no idea what cake and eat it (nor any 'mays' about future customs arrangements) had to do with my post saying that it wasn't about sovereignty (even accepting that any future discussions betweem Spain and the UK prior to any future deal over Gib and the EU will likely always have that in the background).

Edit: Perhaps we were just at cross purposes?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Next word to enter the political lexicon?

Bremain? Britin? Bre-entry?

After the ECJ delivers its decision on A50 withdrawal, scheduled to start Tuesday, this is going to start gaining more and more momentum I think. May will never get that deal through the commons. Currently 92 Tories have publically stated they won't vote for it, Labour won't, the DUP won't and very much doubt anyone else will. This deal is dead

The end of May is nigh and apparently, if there's to be a second referendum, she'll resign... what greater encouragement could there be?

• Like 1

Not sure why she’s pushing it through Europe if she thinks it’ll fail at home? Bit like me doing a deal on a new car knowing full well my wife will block it...

The situation in the commons must not be as bad as reported, maybe she knows people will change their stance at the last minute (dished out a few sweetners).

Edited by Genie

On 23/11/2018 at 08:31, Stevo985 said:

I still think it's not going to happen. 

I agree.  I've been telling people that since the referendum.  I don't think I'd put any significant money on it, as things could go in several directions in the next couple of months, but I still think it's the most likely outcome.

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

After the ECJ delivers its decision on A50 withdrawal, scheduled to start Tuesday, this is going to start gaining more and more momentum I think. May will never get that deal through the commons. Currently 92 Tories have publically stated they won't vote for it, Labour won't, the DUP won't and very much doubt anyone else will. This deal is dead

The end of May is nigh and apparently, if there's to be a second referendum, she'll resign... what greater encouragement could there be?

How many of the 92 tories stating they won't vote for it are the same as the 60 / 70 / 80 tories that were sending in letters?

I'm not saying it will get voted through, but I think there's an awful lot of grandstanding and empty threats now all politicians have worked out they can say or do and then deny pretty much anything.

We need to run a sweep on how many will flip flop whilst using the phrase 'my position has always been very clear...'

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How many of the 92 tories stating they won't vote for it are the same as the 60 / 70 / 80 tories that were sending in letters?

I'm not saying it will get voted through, but I think there's an awful lot of grandstanding and empty threats now all politicians have worked out they can say or do and then deny pretty much anything.

We need to run a sweep on how many will flip flop whilst using the phrase 'my position has always been very clear...'

There were never that many public letter senders, big difference between what people tell JRM in private and public statements about the deal

And lets be honest if it got to as low as 20, without the DUP its still dead in the water

It's now up to 94

1. Boris Johnson

2. David Davis

3. Iain Duncan Smith

4. Owen Paterson

5. Priti Patel

6. John Whittingdale

7. Mark Francois

8. David Jones

9. Sir Desmond Swayne

10. Julian Lewis

11. Jacob Rees-Mogg

12. Steve Baker

13. Sir Bernard Jenkin

14. Sir Mike Penning

15. Sir David Amess

16. Sir Edward Leigh

17. Sir Christopher Chope

18. Andrea Jenkyns

19. John Redwood

20. Ben Bradley

21. Marcus Fysh

22. Maria Caulfield

23. Simon Clarke

24. Ross Thomson

25. Henry Smith

26. Nadine Dorries

27. Chris Green

28. Andrew Bridgen

29. Bill Cash

30. Sheryll Murray

31. Andrew Rosindell

32. Lee Rowley

33. Peter Bone

34. Anne Main

35. Craig Mackinlay

36. Charlie Elphicke

37. Conor Burns

38. James Duddridge

39. Trudy Harrison

40. Andrew Lewer

41. Nigel Mills

42. Martin Vickers

43. Richard Bacon

44. Philip Davies

45. Anne-Marie Morris

46. James Gray

47. Adam Holloway

48. Crispin Blunt

49. Richard Drax

50. Philip Hollobone

51. Laurence Robertson

52. Bill Wiggin

53. Pauline Latham

54. Nigel Evans

55. Scott Mann

56. Tim Loughton

57. Zac Goldsmith

58. Robert Courts

59. Michael Fabricant

60. Michael Tomlinson

61. Damian Collins

62. Jo Johnson

63. Phillip Lee

64. Heidi Allen

65. Justine Greening

66. Dominic Grieve

67. Dominic Raab

68. Esther McVey

69. Shailesh Vara

70. Rehman Chishti

71. Ranil Jayawardena

72. Suella Braverman

73. Anne-Marie Trevelyan

74. Hugo Swire

75. Neil Parish

76. Steve Double

77. Theresa Villiers

78. Royston Smith

79. Mark Pritchard

80. Grant Shapps

81. Damien Moore

82. Daniel Kawczynski

83. Lucy Allan

84. David Evennett

85. Anna Soubry

86. Rob Halfon

87. Bob Stewart

88. Gordon Henderson

89. Stephen Metcalfe

90. John Baron

91. Julia Lopez

92. John Hayes

93. Sarah Wollaston

94. Guto Bebb

Buzzfeed

The Sir John Hayes one is hilarious considering he was only knighted this week and the reason why he was knighted (the real reason)

• Like 1

I haven't posted in this thread for a while so thought I would update with my opinion.

Now i'm not pro May, but what I do understand is David Davis quit and now recently Dominic Rabb quit being Eu negotiator. The reason they quit is because the EU won't listen or make it easy to leave. No politician will say, although Rabb came close in saying, the EU are as good as blackmailing us into a shit deal. 

They don't want us to leave, they can't afford it for one. all them unelected EU  Bureaucrates have extremely high salaries and bonuses you know. Also if they made it easy, surely all the other nation states would be thinking about leaving. Barnier and all them other EU knobbers will make it as hard as possible to leave with a decent deal, then maybe we will consider staying, which is what they need, or is it want!

I agree May is a bit of a walkover, but there is no way Labour or any other politician could negotiate a better deal than what the EU have offered. Truth be known the EU have said that's the deal take it or leave it, the door is now closed, speaks volumes.

Personally, I want out of the cult that is the EU.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well, yeah.

Would anyone expect them to promote the idea of leaving the group being equal or better to remaining in the group?

That would make them as stupid as the people believing leaving would be a easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Far as I know there isn’t any legal scope to withdraw A50 and remain ... all we could do is reapply and probably on shit terms 

so think we can take remaining off the table

no deal seems the most likely at this stage , no way Mays cluster ****  is getting through parliament 

Edited by tonyh29

Â