The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, limpid said:

I've spend about 4 weeks this year in France. I've not seen nor heard what you describe.

I don't mean in the street or editorials in Le Monde. I have family there, and my experience is that it's barely even talked about (apart from the occasional enquiry about why we are being so silly) amongst the public.

I mean at the higher diplomatic level with overtures to businesses wanting to leave the UK to move to France, suggesting that Paris should be where the EU's financial hub should be, and France being the most hard-line of the 27 in sticking to the negotiating guidelines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterms said:

I almost feel a twinge of sympathy for her.

I think even the BBC news held back a bit yesterday as she was basically beaten up all day.  I think they (GB) were truly shocked to the core at the response they received & I think the true realisation that they are **** no matter what they do now has now sunken in,  finally.  May is the Baldrick of coming up with great plans & honestly,  if she jumped ship now I wouldn't be suprised,  she looked finished yesterday.  It would try and force a 2nd ref and introduce a unfortunate delay so the clown's can find a chief clown the silly silly words removed.  She might I suppose,  in true comedy & cunning plan style just pretend to be ill.  I put nothing past them now.

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Not sure I understand...

Don't think the UK's prospects are looking great over the next couple of decades.

Were I considering I return to the UK from abroad now? I'd wait to see what happened with Brexit?

We were thinking of returning to the West Mids from London. That's on hold.

Reckon there's going to be a lot of unemployment and/or low, low wages, which in turn will spawn anger and resentment.

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

Reckon there's going to be a lot of unemployment and/or low, low wages, which in turn will spawn anger and resentment.

which will of course be blamed on remainers somehow, or the EU or some other invented liberal elite boogeyman

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think even the BBC news held back a bit yesterday as she was basically beaten up all day.  I think they (GB) were truly shocked to the core at the response they received & I think the true realisation that they are **** no matter what they do now has now sunken in,  finally.  May is the Baldrick of coming up with great plans & honestly,  if she jumped ship now I wouldn't be suprised,  she looked finished yesterday.  It would try and force a 2nd ref and introduce a unfortunate delay so the clown's can find a chief clown the silly silly words removed.  She might I suppose,  in true comedy & cunning plan style just pretend to be ill.  I put nothing past them now.

The BBC has effectively become the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. Ever eager to paint the rosiest picture, with only the news on the website really ever giving much of the criticism. So no shock they'd go easy. Especially as in recent years they've learnt not to bite the hand that feeds them under the Tories.

As for May herself. I've no sympathy for her. She wanted the job, and has consistently **** it up. That the humiliation yesterday will hurt her is some nice schadenfreude. She won't give up because she's a power hungry witch, she won't leave the role until forced to and she won't be forced until she's done the role the loons want - Brexit, ideally no deal. If she waivers on this they'll try to bin her, so she won't.

Her Chequers plan was never a thing. The EU was never going to accept it, everyone knew they were never going to accept it, and yesterday they told everyone straight, again, that that won't be accepted. The humiliation of hearing that, at last comprehending it, hopefully, is all her and our fault. 

I've said for a while no deal was a likely outcome. I still think that'll come to pass.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The BBC has effectively become the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. Ever eager to paint the rosiest picture, with only the news on the website really ever giving much of the criticism. So no shock they'd go easy. Especially as in recent years they've learnt not to bite the hand that feeds them under the Tories.

As for May herself. I've no sympathy for her. She wanted the job, and has consistently **** it up. That the humiliation yesterday will hurt her is some nice schadenfreude. She won't give up because she's a power hungry witch, she won't leave the role until forced to and she won't be forced until she's done the role the loons want - Brexit, ideally no deal. If she waivers on this they'll try to bin her, so she won't.

Her Chequers plan was never a thing. The EU was never going to accept it, everyone knew they were never going to accept it, and yesterday they told everyone straight, again, that that won't be accepted. The humiliation of hearing that, at last comprehending it, hopefully, is all her and our fault. 

I've said for a while no deal was a likely outcome. I still think that'll come to pass.

I don't follow or watch or whatever much BBC news, but I put it on last night and also the Newsnight after, and thought it was the opposite of what you say. It seemed balanced and fair minded, told the story, didn't "take sides".

The type of stuff you say about how she ended up (through utter idiocy) where she is - you're never going to get that on the BBC. They don't say "Corbyn is incompetent"(and where the eff is he on all this, by the way? - hiding in his **** shed again) or "Johnson is a power hungry idiot" or "May is an immigration obsessed, small minded twerp".

They probably should, in my dream world, perhaps, but they don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

honest, research HS2 and Birmingham and try to find stuff that go beyond it being £50bn for a train thats slightly faster

the disproportions are crazy, brum is taking off, im not sure when the best time to jump in is (or what you do)

i have to do a fair bit of research and seminars for the construction industry, they have a lot to spend, even wolverhampton has a grand plan for the city centre off the back of HS2

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Don't think the UK's prospects are looking great over the next couple of decades.

Were I considering I return to the UK from abroad now? I'd wait to see what happened with Brexit?

I moved back from Canada in February 2016, so a good few months before the referendum.

I can't pretend I haven't thought about going away again since coming back, but I run my own business now and whilst it's transferrable to another country I don't feel confident that Brexit will go the way of Brits who have moved into mainland Europe unless they're in full time employment and in a role with a scarcity of talent in that country.

There are assorted issues in all countries though.  Even though Vancouver is an Instagram paradise, the reality is somewhat different.  Having lived there, there are huge issues with both opioid abuse (notably Fentanyl) and the housing market.  Average house prices there are over $1m now, and the place we were renting would've cost us $4-5m to buy.

They say the grass isn't always greener, but right now it feels like there's not much green grass anywhere.

• Like 2

Â