The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are over 130 resolutions sent to Conference from CLPs regarding a second referendum

Yes, a very strong groundswell.   It's  impressive.  Democracy in action.

I'm sure the compositing team will have fun trying to produce something concise, representative, and debatable.

I'm also sure the party leadership will adapt its stance to reflect what is passed.  Don't you agree?

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

I'm also sure the party leadership will adapt its stance to reflect what is passed.  Don't you agree?

Nope, I think they'll find a way out tbh

One Trade Union representative tonight (on the same platform as His holiness St Jezza of Islington via Oswestry) has said that a peoples vote would aid the far right

59 minutes ago, peterms said:

I'm a bit confused, Tom.

Do you mean adopt policies based on reported polling  figures, or actual votes at conference conducted under party rules?  And are you speaking about all decisions made by the members back to whom you graciously wish to give the party, even if those decisions mean choosing another representative than the one who was foisted on the local party by chicanery and ruletwisting?

A bit of clarity would be nice.

I'm not holding my breath.

Why don't you ask him? He's pretty responsive to sensible questions on social media.

He doesn't read VillaTalk, even though I've known him since we were teenagers. He'd probably tell me he was too busy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, peterms said:

Is there a march?  I must have missed it.

Anyway, votes on motions matter, other stuff less so.

"Comrades! Can it be agreed that the party should never again be beholden to the neoliberal, Blairite yoke of Rymans, and that all Labour party stationery shall henceforth be ethically sourced via solidarity with our brothers at the Gaza City branch of Staples?

Hush up Wes. We'll chat Brexit at conference 2021"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Why don't you ask him? He's pretty responsive to sensible questions on social media

Because I don't believe he is acting in good faith, or would give an honest answer.  Hence my entirely rhetorical question in a place I don't expect him to frequent.  My comment though framed at Watson was directed at Bicks, suggesting the figure he had put up was less worthy of respect than he implied.  I think Bicks got this.

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Because I don't believe he is acting in good faith, or would give an honest answer.  Hence my entirely rhetorical question in a place I don't expect him to frequent.  My comment though framed at Watson was directed at Bicks, suggesting the figure he had put up was less worthy of respect than he implied.  I think Bicks got this.

You're free to think that and if you'd rather strawman him than ask; that's up to you.

Maybe PMs would be better if you are talking to Bicks and not to the rest of the forum ?

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

"Comrades! Can it be agreed that the party should never again be beholden to the neoliberal, Blairite yoke of Rymans, and that all Labour party stationery shall henceforth be ethically sourced via solidarity with our brothers at the Gaza City branch of Staples?

Hush up Wes. We'll chat Brexit at conference 2021"

.That would fail the basic test of motions and be ruled out of order.

And if you'd been reading the thrrad, you sould know that there are lots of motions on brexit and they will be discussed .

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

You're free to think that and if you'd rather strawman him than ask; that's up to you.

Maybe PMs would be better if you are talking to Bicks and not to the rest of the forum ?

I'm commenting on his reported remarks.  That is not straw manning..  It is commenting in a different space, not misrepresenting his remarks in order to score a pretend hit.  Do you see the difference?

I would have pm'd Bicks if my comment was directed only to him.  Since it was a reply to his comment in the discussion, it was not, and may or may not be read by people who saw the original comment.  Obviously, I'm talking to the forum, but addressing Bicks' comments.

Lying bastards furious at Emanuel Macron for pointing out that they are lying bastards

The UK world of political fibbers erupted in fury as the French President broke protocol and openly highlighted the obvious truth that Brexit proponents were lying sacks of shit

Iain Duncan Smith, one of Britain’s most experienced liars, took to the airwaves to lambaste Emmanuel Macron.

He explained, “It’s the oldest trick in the book. Monsieur Macron is trying to distract from his domestic troubles by stating what is apparent to anyone who reads newspapers that don’t misspell headlines.

“We are a proud sovereign people and we don’t need someone with a Napoleon complex to accurately describe what we’ve been doing for years.

“Getting **** over by people telling you what you want to hear is a cherished British tradition. My day job is telling working class people that I want to help them while obviously looking to punish them with a horrifically inefficient and cruel benefits reform that no one asked for.

“If the British people wanted the truth, then why is my party in power?”

Mr Duncan-Smith’s position had some support with the public. Simon Williams, a retired salesman and Leave supporter, agreed that it was hugely insulting to imply he had been easily conned into doing something that would harm him.

“How dare he say such things about our leading Brexiteers? If it were true that would mean I was tricked into voting to hurt myself and my children by ruthless political manipulators who hold my intellect in such contempt they didn’t even bother coming up with plausible lies.

“So I’m going to keep accepting what they say at face value and not even do some rudimentary fact-checking.

“It’s what I do."

Flights would immediately cease between the UK and the rest of the EU if Britain crashes out of the bloc without a deal, the government has said.

In its latest set of “no deal” notices, the government has said planes would be grounded because the EU-issued aviation licences would not be valid and airlines would have to “seek individual permissions” to operate with respective states.

“If the UK leaves the EU in March 2019 with no agreement in place, UK and EU licensed airlines would lose the automatic right to operate air services between the UK and the EU without seeking advance permission,” said the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/24/uk-eu-flights-would-cease-immediately-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit

Well I for one, am astonished.

The EU would require the UK to be a listed third country. In the unlikely event of a ‘no deal’ scenario, the UK would apply for this status but cannot be certain of the EU response or its timing. Without listed status no exports to the EU could take place

Pretty easy to see why they decided to l release the good ones quietly on a Monday afternoon.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exporting-animals-and-animal-products-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/exporting-animals-and-animal-products-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Â