The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

May's big pitch to the other 27 countries tonight apparently, referring to the proposed Irish sea border is "how would you feel if your country were carved in two?"

That's to a room including the heads of state of Ireland, Germany, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Slovakia...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well he's certainly right that it was supported by liars, but he seems to have misunderstood who resigned after the vote. 

I think he's talking about Farridge.

The bigger news is that they didn't even really give her much in the way of nice words (as they were expected to) to help get her through conference. Chequers is now a bludgeoned mess on the floor.

May seemed really angry in her press conference. 

Fun times ahead.

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Was it only Monday when she said it was either Chequers or no deal?

In fairness you could hear the reversing beep even as she said it.

Chequers won't work. The best the EU can say about it is it's a step in the right direction.

Her Twitter had a plea to Labour to rule out a second referendum earlier.

What money an election?

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness you could hear the reversing beep even as she said it.

Chequers won't work. The best the EU can say about it is it's a step in the right direction.

Her Twitter had a plea to Labour to rule out a second referendum earlier.

What money an election?

You could but you do have to wonder why she said it when it was very likely to end up like this a couple of days later.

Raab C Brexit wrote to Keir Starmer (Dear Mr. Starmer, ....) yesterday (?) asking him to 'clarify Labour's position' which suggests that he was after some tips, didn't have much to do (well they've published most of the no deal papers and he has sod all to do with any negotiating, does he?) or thought that Labour was in government.

How do we get to an election, though? Consensus for another early election would not look great for either major party, I don't think. So would she have to put a vote of no confidence and then lose it and parliament go through the shenanigans of Labour spending a couple of weeks at least appearing to try and form a government and then look to call an election?

If the latter, then we're looking at the end of Nov.

That could only really mean one thing, I'd guess: Tories under a different leader (which itself would take time) run on a manifesto of 'no deal unless we can get something good' (i.e. Mogg/Johnson/Davis) versus Labour actually coming out and saying extended A50 period until we can actually get the deal that we want.

Otherwise, if both parties ran on the kinds of confused, mixed message platforms they have now then there'd be nothing different from where we are and people might quite rightly ask what they're doing wasting time going through an election campaign when there's a deadline of next March fast approaching.

I just don't see how we get to another election before March next year - but predicting anything is a mug's game so don't take any of the above as anything more than chucking darts over my shoulder with my back to the board.

On 06/01/2017 at 18:08, Enda said:

Oh and one last thing on the economics predictions. As Awol is so keen to reference, the most pessimistic mainline projection for post-Brexit economy was the Treasury's. If I'm not mistaken, they predicted that post-Brexit UK GDP would be 1.5% lower (than it would be without Brexit) after eighteen months. That's not the dire prediction the media are portraying it as.

Remember all the laughing at Project Fear when Treasury suggested that Brexit would UK would be 1.5% worse off after eighteen months?

DnYbQNvWwAYsRq4.jpg

Real wages in the UK have fallen slightly since the Brexit vote, while Ireland's have increased about 5%. Obviously Ireland's not a perfect comparison to the UK, but it should be food for thought.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Macron goes for the jugular.

Whether it’s true or not it’s not particularly helpful, it just gives the Brexit politicians a chance to play to their base. 

It sounds like Macon is feeling the heat back home and has let frustrations get the better of him. 

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Whether it’s true or not it’s not particularly helpful, it just gives the Brexit politicians a chance to play to their base. 

It probably does, but it's not really his problem is it?

If there is any one country in the 27 that is quite chipper about seeing us have our face rubbed in the dirt over this, it's France.

They're pretty much the only ones openly talking about how the UK's humiliation can benefit them.

10 hours ago, ml1dch said:

It probably does, but it's not really his problem is it?

If there is any one country in the 27 that is quite chipper about seeing us have our face rubbed in the dirt over this, it's France.

They're pretty much the only ones openly talking about how the UK's humiliation can benefit them.

I've spend about 4 weeks this year in France. I've not seen nor heard what you describe.

• Like 1

Â