The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Yes, I'm assuming the EU would allow us back in but I think it highly unlikely they wouldn't like us back, especially when we're not being run by a bunch of xenophobic arseholes.  We've still got the 6th largest economy in the world.  We would strengthen the EU immeasurably. 

And I don't at all buy that we can't have another referendum.   It's been 8 years since the referendum. I think a decade to reflect on what it's brought us is a reasonable length of time. Twice the term of a General Election. 

Edited by sidcow

It would be a dilemma for the EU if we wanted to join.

France didn’t want us in for a long time and they’d likely be torn again this time. On the one hand, it’s trouble turning up again and changing a balance of power. On the other hand, what a prize, what an example for other dissenters.

If we rejoined relatively soon, we’d also probably still be a net contributor of money.

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I'm assuming the EU would allow us back in but I think it highly unlikely they wouldn't like us back, especially when we're not being run by a bunch of xenophobic arseholes.  We've still got the 6th largest economy in the world.  We would strengthen the EU immeasurably. 

And I don't at all buy that we can't have another referendum.   It's been 8 years since the referendum. I think a decade to reflect on what it's brought us is a reasonable length of time. Twice the term of a General Election. 

Nobody is disputing that they wouldn't welcome back a stable, united version of the UK back into the fold. And everything suggests that will happen within a couple of electoral cycles.

But they will take the current (massively imbalanced in their favour anyway) relationship over constant accession / secession talks with every new government who sees it as an easy wedge issue to squeeze an extra half dozen seats out of Lancashire and Cumbria.

And have whatever referendum you like. As long as you know what is in the Government's power to offer in the question that they ask. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Nobody is disputing that they wouldn't welcome back a stable, united version of the UK back into the fold. And everything suggests that will happen within a couple of electoral cycles.

But they will take the current (massively imbalanced in their favour anyway) relationship over constant accession / secession talks with every new government who sees it as an easy wedge issue to squeeze an extra half dozen seats out of Lancashire and Cumbria.

And have whatever referendum you like. As long as you know what is in the Government's power to offer in the question that they ask. 

The only argument I put forward is that it was possible to rejoin the EU. I wasn't trying to say how likely it was or on what terms. But there is absolutely no reason why we could not go back in. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

The only argument I put forward is that it was possible to rejoin the EU. I wasn't trying to say how likely it was or on what terms. But there is absolutely no reason why we could9go back in. 

There also doesn’t have to be a referendum either. Obviously it would be crazy not to given what has gone before, but a government could just crack on and apply/negotiate membership if they wanted to.

• Like 1

As mentioned, the U.K. can do whatever it likes but the EU is not going to allow a divided U.K. back, only for Farage to win another leave campaign in 5 years time.

Another disputed referendum is pointless, even if ‘rejoin’ were to win.

The U.K. needs to be settled and bipartisan on the issue before it would get taken up. A referendum would probably not even be needed if there is such overwhelming consensus from all sides by that point. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

As mentioned, the U.K. can do whatever it likes but the EU is not going to allow a divided U.K. back, only for Farage to win another leave campaign in 5 years time.

Another disputed referendum is pointless, even if ‘rejoin’ were to win.

The U.K. needs to be settled and bipartisan on the issue before it would get taken up. A referendum would probably not even be needed if there is such overwhelming consensus from all sides by that point. 

How can you have a disputed referendum?  The result is the result. 

Anyway, unlike leave I would expect a margin for success.  In excess of 60% for example. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyway, unlike leave I would expect a margin for success.  In excess of 60% for example. 

The case for rejoin should be so much stronger than leave ever was.

Now rejoin opens up a world of opportunity for business, students, retirees, investment, admin. There’s a million benefits to rejoin.

What the case to remain out? The sovereignty thing has been proven to be a red herring. Immigration, red herring.

The time isn’t right now, but when people like Starmer keep talking about growth being the key to unlock lower taxes, investment in the NHS and police he MUST be thinking about re-aligning with the EU in some way.

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

maybe disputed is the wrong word. 52 / 48 is close. If that moves to say  70 / 30 that isn't close and what polling you can find (it isn't polled that often these days) suggests we are heading in that direction. One in Five Leave voters have apparently changed their minds and twice as many want to be in rather than out but there is still way too big an undecided element in any of the polling

Much like with the decline of the Tory Party, demographics will eventually sort this out

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

maybe disputed is the wrong word. 52 / 48 is close. If that moves to say  70 / 30 that isn't close and what polling you can find (it isn't polled that often these days) suggests we are heading in that direction. One in Five Leave voters have apparently changed their minds and twice as many want to be in rather than out but there is still way too big an undecided element in any of the polling

Much like with the decline of the Tory Party, demographics will eventually sort this out

**** me. How can 4 in 5 leave voters still believe this has gone exactly how they expected? 

I was wrong about the polling not being done very often and you'll see the problem in these figures

12–15 Jan 2024 Deltapoll N/A 2,136 46% 38% 15% 8%
11–12 Jan 2024 Omnisis N/A 1,161 50% 33% 17% 17%
4–5 Jan 2024 Omnisis N/A 1,226 48% 32% 20% 16%
2–3 Jan 2024 YouGov N/A 2,016 51% 36% 13% 15%
28–30 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,181 49% 33% 18% 16%
22–29 Dec 2023 Deltapoll Daily Mirror 1,642 47% 39% 14% 8%
20–22 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,177 48% 34% 18% 14%
14–15 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,065 46% 34% 20% 12%
10–11 Dec 2023 Redfield & Wilton Strategies UK in a Changing Europe 2,000 52% 40% 8% 12%
8–11 Dec 2023 Deltapoll N/A 1,005 44% 41% 15% 3%
7–8 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,201 46% 34% 20% 12%
1–4 Dec 2023 Deltapoll N/A 1,000 45% 40% 15% 5%
30 Nov  1 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,123 46% 31% 23% 15%

Wiki has a page dedicated to it

End columns are Sample Size / Rejoin / Stay Out / Don't Know

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

**** me. How can 4 in 5 leave voters still believe this has gone exactly how they expected? 

I didn't say that and neither did the polling

(1) there is an element of don't know

(2) gone as expected is a COMPLETELY different question

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

I was wrong about the polling not being done very often and you'll see the problem in these figures

12–15 Jan 2024 Deltapoll N/A 2,136 46% 38% 15% 8%
11–12 Jan 2024 Omnisis N/A 1,161 50% 33% 17% 17%
4–5 Jan 2024 Omnisis N/A 1,226 48% 32% 20% 16%
2–3 Jan 2024 YouGov N/A 2,016 51% 36% 13% 15%
28–30 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,181 49% 33% 18% 16%
22–29 Dec 2023 Deltapoll Daily Mirror 1,642 47% 39% 14% 8%
20–22 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,177 48% 34% 18% 14%
14–15 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,065 46% 34% 20% 12%
10–11 Dec 2023 Redfield & Wilton Strategies UK in a Changing Europe 2,000 52% 40% 8% 12%
8–11 Dec 2023 Deltapoll N/A 1,005 44% 41% 15% 3%
7–8 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,201 46% 34% 20% 12%
1–4 Dec 2023 Deltapoll N/A 1,000 45% 40% 15% 5%
30 Nov  1 Dec 2023 Omnisis N/A 1,123 46% 31% 23% 15%

Wiki has a page dedicated to it

End columns are Sample Size / Rejoin / Stay Out / Don't Know

Also, take a quick glance at the polling for "rejoin EU" and "rejoin EU if required to adopt the Euro" and they are wildly different.

The second of those points (whether we should / whether we would have to promise to / whether we actually would) is something with a lot of nuance - but you can bet now what the other side of any future "rejoin or not" campaign is going to be based around.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I didn't say that and neither did the polling

(1) there is an element of don't know

(2) gone as expected is a COMPLETELY different question

If only 1 in 5 have changed their mind it's a good assumption that 4 in 5 is happy with how it's gone no? 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If only 1 in 5 have changed their mind it's a good assumption that 4 in 5 is happy with how it's gone no? 

It’s the word ‘happy’. If 1 in 5 have changed their mind, then 4 of 5 haven’t. Whether they are happy isn’t in the data. They might well think it’s been a terrible shit show and if only we’d dropped a few warning bombs on Paris we’d be in a much better position. But even this bollocksed brexit is less bad than being slaves to the Germans. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s the word ‘happy’. If 1 in 5 have changed their mind, then 4 of 5 haven’t. Whether they are happy isn’t in the data. They might well think it’s been a terrible shit show and if only we’d dropped a few warning bombs on Paris we’d be in a much better position. But even this bollocksed brexit is less bad than being slaves to the Germans. 

This. Once they've nailed their colours to the "I don't like Johnny Foreigner" mast on social media, that's it, no going back. Nothing rational about it. 

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If 1 in 5 have changed their mind, then 4 of 5 haven’t.

Even that isn't correct. The question is usually phrased "if there was another referendum...." Around 1 in 5 would vote rejoin but there is still another element of don't know.

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

But there is absolutely no reason why we could not go back in. 

There are 100 reasons.

Every EU country has a veto on new members. You ready to accede to whatever concessions a newly elected Sinn Féin government in Ireland would want? And ditto the farmers in Flanders and so on.

You’d need to the monetary union. That would be a problem. You’d probably have to join Schengen. That’s a problem.

Your country still doesn’t have a decent understanding of what the EU is/does. That’s a problem.

Rejoining would be at least 50% as messy as leaving was, imho.

Â