The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

? Who says that is the case? It wasn't in my post you quoted, Chris, unless I've gone quite, quite insane.

you're going to make me go and research this aren't you

I know it wasn't in your post, it was some EU spokesperson a day or two ago, said the procedure is to leave, then once you've left you begin to negotiate your new deal.

Maelstrom

The EU's Trade Commissioner, Cecilia Malmstrom, says the UK cannot begin negotiating trade terms with the bloc until after it has left.

"First you exit then you negotiate,"

the article goes on to suggest that the stance might not be possible, surely somewhere there is a black n white written down piece of guidance

who knows?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

... It really is time to move on.

Look who's driving and the way they got in. Feck getting in that car. It's a world of sour either way now.

Meanwhile, further up the pyramid, tax wheezes continue (suiting our media barons nicely), bonuses are paid and pressing environmental concerns go on the back burner.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Experience has taught us that if you lie outrageously, on a subject with little inherent established truth in the populace, then a vote might be a swayed your way.

Not quite not letting people decide.

World War III says hello  :wave:

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

World War III says hello  :wave:

That hospitals infomercial.

Putin wants to be pals. We're past masters of trading through embargos.

@chrisp65 @Blandy The EU position currently is for the UK to concluded political negotiations and exit from the EU before any trade negotiations comence. The UK wishes to run a twin track negotiation and there will likely be considerable German commercial and therefore political pressure to do so. 

As we are the first country to actually exit this is all pretty fluid and no organisation bends rules quite as far or as often as the EU. I think a lot will depend on the initial negotiating position we put on the table. 

As it happens the Swiss are about to test how the EU reacts to their rules being directly challenged having voted by referendum to end free movement. The Swiss are in a far weaker position than us and not attempting to leave, but it will be interesting to see how that situation develops. 

Clarify: obviously Switzerland is in EFTA not the EU, but are bound up in 100's of bilateral treaties with the EU. Either way, worth watching.

Edited by Awol
Clarify

56 minutes ago, Awol said:

@chrisp65 @Blandy The EU position currently is for the UK to concluded political negotiations and exit from the EU before any trade negotiations comence. The UK wishes to run a twin track negotiation and there will likely be considerable German commercial and therefore political pressure to do so. 

As we are the first country to actually exit this is all pretty fluid and no organisation bends rules quite as far or as often as the EU. I think a lot will depend on the initial negotiating position we put on the table. 

As it happens the Swiss are about to test how the EU reacts to their rules being directly challenged having voted by referendum to end free movement. The Swiss are in a far weaker position than us and not attempting to leave, but it will be interesting to see how that situation develops. 

Clarify: obviously Switzerland is in EFTA not the EU, but are bound up in 100's of bilateral treaties with the EU. Either way, worth watching.

the Swiss also withdrew their application for full EU membership a little while back  ... not sure what that actually means , as it was something like 1992 that they tabled it  , but I believe it was withdrawn as a sort of protest against free movement  , which as you say they are already making their feelings clear on

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the Swiss also withdrew their application for full EU membership a little while back  ... not sure what that actually means , as it was something like 1992 that they tabled it  , but I believe it was withdrawn as a sort of protest against free movement  , which as you say they are already making their feelings clear on

They formally withdrew it about a week before our vote. 

From what I can gather so far the Germans want to have a constructive deal with the UK that delivers the best possible trade terms & binds us in to a very tight geo-political relationship with the EU - sensible.

The French want to try and kick us in the teeth, press on asap with further financial & political integration and make sure Germany is on the hook for fiscal transfers before their economy falls over - merde. 

It also seems likely that the main fora for negotiations will be the European Council not the Commission, leaving member states instead of EU extremists in control. This would mean UK being able to leverage its other contributions (defence, intelligence, security, diplomatic support) into the negotiating mix - good for the UK.

I hope we'll see a north European block favouring a good UK/EU relationship triumph over the French, Belgians & Italians who want to be difficult. It's a feasible scenario, not least because the anti UK countries haven't got a pot to piss in between them. 

I thought Twitter had peaked when Gary Neville told me that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.   We have a new hero now, step forwards Lilly Allen:

There's your new Prime Minister sorted then. You can probably still get him at 50/1

Edited by The_Rev

18 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Oh well I'm going to sort myself out.  I'll apply for Irish citizenship through my granddad.

After @mjmooney mentioned it, I had a look. Apparently I am an Irish citizen already through my mum's birth, so would just need to apply for a passport to prove dual nationality. 

It's something I'll definitely look at if it helps whether travelling or working in the future.

18 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Farage resigns. So that's Leadso... Carswell as new UKIP leader then.

I don't think Carswell has a hope with the membership, pretty broadly hated. 

Nutall is crap so I'd guess at a run off with Diane James & Suzanne Evans. Probably James. 

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's as if he feels his work is done and he has won.  Ugh.

He'll be joining the tories by the end of the week.

That **** dickhead Johnson has been at it in the Telegraph again, saying Cameron should proceed with Brexit plans because it can't wait until September.

He should keep his **** mouth shut and put the keyboard away, the goofy haired prick forfeited any right to have his say when he ran away instead of having the balls to lead himself.

• Like 1

Â