The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

FUN FACT!

52% of 72% of eligible voters voted for Brexit = 37.4%

Government's proposed new rules for the eligibility of a vote on any form of industrial action = 40%

Boris Johnson on the tyranny of union votes: 'Strikes “called on the basis of a very small proportion of the relevant workforce” are “unfair” and “put a terrific psychological burden on people who don’t want to take strike action,” he raged. Legislation should be the ‘Day one‘ priority of a new Tory government, he demanded.'

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/37-4-not-even-enough-for-an-overtime-ban/

I wouldn't hang too much on the importance of those figures as 37.4% is relatively high. After all, this very government gained power with just one quarter of the potential electorate.

Edited by brommy

36 minutes ago, brommy said:

I wouldn't hang too much on the importance of those figures as 37.4% is relatively high. After all, this very government gained power with just one quarter of the potential electorate.

I'm not worried about importance, I was pointing out hypocrisy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not worried about importance, I was pointing out hypocrisy. 

I realised that!

If a politician gained 3 votes to his opponent's 2 votes from an electorate of 100, the politician would still claim 'a clear mandate' and yet this government is insisting on union votes meeting a criteria.

Hypocrisy aside though, 37.4% is a reasonably high figure from a close decision in a national referendum without compulsory voting. 

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I like Pie but he never sounds like he quite means it:

He's no Russell Brand but that sums it up perfectly 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Wow. What a word removed. 

One of his videos came up on Twitter t'other day. 

With his David Brent-esque 80's pop star profile pic, Gold standard Trump triple-quiff-comb-over and funny voice, I thought it was a parody account. 

It's just shock jocking for the Internet age, he's a complete twunt who's making a few £££ from advertising on YouTube.

He was re-tweeting people like that Tommy Tanker from the EDL, but if people want to think he sums things up for them - hey ho. 

Not him, but I saw a similar one going on about how today's march in London was the 'elite' raging against the will of the working classes. 

Those working classes that 'protested' the Elitist Government by voting with Bullingdon Boris, Gove the toad, an ex London stockbroker and a bloke who wanted to make disabled people poor, until he realised it would affect his career. 

Woking class heroes. 

So one week after voting to leave we've had enquiries about FTA's from Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, India, Canada, Australia & New Zealand. The US has a US/UK Trade Continuity Act being proposed in Congress as a pre-cursor to a full blown bilateral FTA & the Kiwis (God bless 'em) offering to lend us their best Trade Negotiators as we work to fill that skills gap domestically.  

Meanwhile the ultras in Brussels barking at London have met the commercial reality of German interests, & to top it all China sold their first ever tranche of offshore government debt in London - the first of many as the City sets up as the hub of offshore Chinese financial activity.

Its going to be a long path & won't be plain sailing by any means, but we're about to start heading in a direction that will be hugely beneficial to the UK. 

Anyone seen the FTSE? :) 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Awol said:

So one week after voting to leave we've had enquiries about FTA's from Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, India, Canada, Australia & New Zealand. The US has a US/UK Trade Continuity Act being proposed in Congress as a pre-cursor to a full blown bilateral FTA & the Kiwis (God bless 'em) offering to lend us their best Trade Negotiators as we work to fill that skills gap domestically.  

Meanwhile the ultras in Brussels barking at London have met the commercial reality of German interests, & to top it all China sold their first ever tranche of offshore government debt in London - the first of many as the City sets up as the hub of offshore Chinese financial activity.

Its going to be a long path & won't be plain sailing by any means, but we're about to start heading in a direction that will be hugely beneficial to the UK. 

Until we've left the EU (in 2 years or longer) we're not able to do deals with those places are we?

Re the FTSE - over the past month the FTSE 100 is up and the FTSE 250 is down. The pound is down, bond yields are down. There's a strong feeling that contrary to Cameron saying he would immediately trigger article 50, the "decision" not to trigger it has raised the prospect of not actually leaving. And of course the BoE stimulus that was needed has helped.

I'm not anything like a financial expert, but I am wary of using one or two indicators (FTSE, etc.) to back up any kind of case for stay/leave.

Like you say there's a mass of rough seas to navigate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Wow. What a word removed. 

Arrogant toffee nosed word removed who works for American nut job Alex Jones, all that needs to be said. His voice alone makes him impossible to watch without desperately wanting to crush his wind pipe.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Arrogant toffee nosed word removed who works for American nut job Alex Jones, all that needs to be said. His voice alone makes him impossible to watch without desperately wanting to crush his wind pipe.

He's a posh Jon Gaunt with shit hair. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Given the coordinated actions of global central banks, do you really believe the FTSE reflects fundamentals? Circuit breakers kick in on the way down only.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Until we've left the EU (in 2 years or longer) we're not able to do deals with those places are we?

Re the FTSE - over the past month the FTSE 100 is up and the FTSE 250 is down. The pound is down, bond yields are down. There's a strong feeling that contrary to Cameron saying he would immediately trigger article 50, the "decision" not to trigger it has raised the prospect of not actually leaving. And of course the BoE stimulus that was needed has helped.

I'm not anything like a financial expert, but I am wary of using one or two indicators (FTSE, etc.) to back up any kind of case for stay/leave.

Like you say there's a mass of rough seas to navigate.

FTSE 250 is down about 5% but on a steady recovery path to its level on 23rd/24th.

Sterling being lower is a very good thing, a competitive devaluation that is very beneficial given our current account deficit. It's a result that central banks have been trying to deliver by stealth with their own currencies for years. By contrast we've lucked into it. 

The prospect of us not leaving the EU is zero beyond the vain hopes of protesters marching through London against democracy - who may or may not have bothered to vote. 

The fact Article 50 won't be triggered yet is down to the utter lack of planning for a leave scenario by HMG. That was a deliberate policy pursued by Cameron when he banned the leave campaign from accessing the Civil Service for that purpose.

Even senior civil serpents were barred from writing anything Brexit related down to prevent leaks that could benefit the leave campaign.

They now have to thoroughly examine and war game all of the options to formulate the UK's negotiating strategy & that will take time, but every Tory candidate has committed to carrying out the referendum result.

This mess may come to be viewed as the biggest failure of executive leadership in the modern era, a wilful neglect of governmental responsibility. 

Its true we can't sign new trade deals until the day we leave the EU but the point is we can expect them to begin completing in pretty quick time thereafter. Until then we remain full members of the single market on the same terms we've always had.

I think it would be useful for the remain stream media to now accept we are going down a route they didn't want and stop trying to revisit something that is already behind us. It's done, there's no second referendum so let's get on with it and embrace the opportunities it presents. 

32 minutes ago, Awol said:

I think it would be useful for the remain stream media to now accept we are going down a route they didn't want and stop trying to revisit something that is already behind us. It's done, there's no second referendum so let's get on with it and embrace the opportunities it presents. 

Completely agree here. For better or worse it's done, let's get on with making the best of it.

13 hours ago, Awol said:

FTSE 250 is down about 5% but on a steady recovery path to its level on 23rd/24th.

Sterling being lower is a very good thing...

The fact Article 50 won't be triggered yet is down to the utter lack of planning for a leave scenario by HMG. That was a deliberate policy pursued by Cameron when he banned the leave campaign from accessing the Civil Service for that purpose.

Even senior civil serpents were barred from writing anything Brexit related down to prevent leaks that could benefit the leave campaign....

This mess may come to be viewed as the biggest failure of executive leadership in the modern era, a wilful neglect of governmental responsibility....

Sterling being lower is a very good thing if you don't want to buy anything, like, say, food or fuel or anything else imported. But who needs that kind of stuff anyway?

totally agree on the disgrace that is the actions of Cameron, Johnson, Government and the rest of the tory words removed who've done this sabotage. I'd lock the **** up and throw away the key

Â