The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I don't think the Leavers have the monopoly on idiotic thought processes. 

100% correct.  There is a graph on here somewhere that shows the split of the vote based on education levels of said voters.  Yes the Remains will point to the graph and face palm or similar.  I have to ask how intelligent the Remain were to:-

Declare they were going to sneak it weeks before the actual vote.

Right up to the Sunderland / Newcastle results on the actual night they still thought they would win.

Create an environment over the last 40 years where over 51 % of the population think that the status Quo is absolute shit and vote away the EU investment and benefits just to stick 2 fingers up at the ruling elite in London.  

Lose,  and spend the next week calling the winners names.

Blaming the old even though for 40 years the jam tomorrow promises never quite made it,  as they sell their homes for medical care or watch the heating costs.

They were so brilliant and outstanding at predicting the future economic mess,  in all areas (Health,  Shares, Pensions).  You name it and there was a word removed on TV from remain with a graph telling us it will cost us X, Y , Z, X billions.  I was truly impressed with the Nostradamus type predictions from Cameron and his bride Osbourne,  funny how none of the words removed could predict they would lose.

Not realising that threatening people in the UK is a good way to lose elections.

The result is not something I care that much about but the Leaves all have their own reasons good or bad.  They earned the right to have whatever reason they want.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

100% correct.  There is a graph on here somewhere that shows the split of the vote based on education levels of said voters.  Yes the Remains will point to the graph and face palm or similar.  I have to ask how intelligent the Remain were to:-

Declare they were going to sneak it weeks before the actual vote.

Right up to the Sunderland / Newcastle results on the actual night they still thought they would win.

Create an environment over the last 40 years where over 51 % of the population think that the status Quo is absolute shit and vote away the EU investment and benefits just to stick 2 fingers up at the ruling elite in London.  

Lose,  and spend the next week calling the winners names.

Blaming the old even though for 40 years the jam tomorrow promises never quite made it,  as they sell their homes for medical care or watch the heating costs.

They were so brilliant and outstanding at predicting the future economic mess,  in all areas (Health,  Shares, Pensions).  You name it and their was a word removed on TV from remain with a graph telling us it will cost us X, Y , Z, X billions.  I was truly impressed with the Nostradamus type predictions from Cameron and his bride Osbourne,  funny how none of the words removed could predict they would lose.

Not realising that threatening people in the UK is a good way to lose elections.

I especially liked the name calling :D

8 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I especially liked the name calling :D

Well it seemed to me that the Leaves were called either stupid,  racist or both after the vote.  

However,  if a group of people that are loosely connected by something (Remains) label another group stupid or racist (Leaves).

Is that not both Stupid and Racist to start with from the remains to start targeting another group because they are different from themselves ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
I cant speel

Just now, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I know they are simple-minded folk but it may be a bit of a stretch to claim Leave voters as a separate race entirely ;)

:D we are allowed to have a laugh still ? Or has that gone with the vote ?

Some friends of mine, one Irish, one Zimbabwean, married to each other and living in the Leeds area, both voted leave.  He (the Zimbabwean) did his research and listened to both sides and decided that it might be best to leave from a business point of view.  He is quite the go-getting entrepeneur and he's all for the change.  She followed his lead.  Now that's all fair enough.

Obviously the rest of us (his friends and ex-neighbours) have been posting on our timelines all the stuff that has been going on about the escalating racism, government chaos and the crashing pound etc since the fall-out, plus the funnier memes and 'summaries'.  He has taken this as a personal slight.  This hasn't gone down well. at. all.  The siege mentality he has created, and the 'head in the sand' attitude towards anything negative has been quite incredible.  He has effectively indirectly accused all of us of calling him a racist or a bigot etc.  Something we flat out haven't done.  He hasn't acknowledged the fact that there was a significant element of the leave vote that was at best xenophobic.  He says 'but the racists were always there' and yes they were.  No-one is saying the vote created racists.  It just told them that in their minds 52% agree with them and it emboldened them to do what we've been seeing on buses and in the street since.  I think he's considerably butthurt to the point that if and when we do meet up next it'll be quite a frosty hello from his side.  I won't give a rat's fanny cuz this stuff is water off a duck's back to me.  But it's just amazing how some people are incapable of reacting to things in anything other than a very limited way.

This is all quite apart from the fact that an Irish person and a Zimbabwean voting to Leave is as close to turkeys voting for Christmas as you can get in the UK.  Of all the nationalities to be acutely aware of racial persecution, those 2 would be right up at the top of the list.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Well it seemed to me that the Leaves were called either stupid,  racist or both after the vote.  

However,  if a group of people that are loosely connected by something (Remains) label another group stupid or racist (Leaves).

Is that not both Stupid and Racist to start with from the remains to start targeting another group because they are different from themselves ?

This was the point I continually tried to get across, ganging up, and then abusing a group of people for having a different view to theirs. 

3 hours ago, BOF said:

He hasn't acknowledged the fact that there was a significant element of the leave vote that was at best xenophobic.

Define significant on 17m people ...

17 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

This was the point I continually tried to get across, ganging up, and then abusing a group of people for having a different view to theirs. 

But it just isn't true.

Not on this site. You've decided to go on the defensive. A prime example is my post a couple of days back that you jumped on without reading properly and accused me of calling all leave voters racists.

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Define significant on 17m people ...

The significance, I'd say, would be in the difference between the leave vote tally and the stay vote tally. What was it around 1.27 million?  I have no idea how many people are Xenophobic generally, but there are quite a few, sadly. Of the 46 million who could vote, is 1.27 million (2.7%) sort of a rough guess that tallies with experience - I'd say so.

My work inbox currently is a never ending avalanche of various companies providing figures and insight.

They all have one thing in common - this will be dreadful.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

But it just isn't true.

Not on this site. You've decided to go on the defensive. A prime example is my post a couple of days back that you jumped on without reading properly and accused me of calling all leave voters racists.

It is absolutely true. Yes i didn't read your post correctly the other day but if you would have read the comments being made on here, especially last friday, you would understand my point. 

34 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

It is absolutely true. Yes i didn't read your post correctly the other day but if you would have read the comments being made on here, especially last friday, you would understand my point. 

I've read every single one and I'm yet to see name-calling or calling all leave voters racist.

FUN FACT!

52% of 72% of eligible voters voted for Brexit = 37.4%

Government's proposed new rules for the eligibility of a vote on any form of industrial action = 40%

Boris Johnson on the tyranny of union votes: 'Strikes “called on the basis of a very small proportion of the relevant workforce” are “unfair” and “put a terrific psychological burden on people who don’t want to take strike action,” he raged. Legislation should be the ‘Day one‘ priority of a new Tory government, he demanded.'

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/37-4-not-even-enough-for-an-overtime-ban/

• Like 2

Don't really know best place for this but it appears Austria will have to re-run their recent general election due to postal fraud ? 

No guarantee of the outcome but Hofer had previously said he would attend EU meetings ( even though it's not really his remit ) and vote against TTIP if he wins 

could be something else for the EU to worry about though 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Don't really know best place for this but it appears Austria will have to re-run their recent general election due to postal fraud ? 

No guarantee of the outcome but Hofer had previously said he would attend EU meetings ( even though it's not really his remit ) and vote against TTIP if he wins 

could be something else for the EU to worry about though 

It will be interesting to see whether the right in EU countries has been emboldened or unnerved by Brexit. 

Â