The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

we're ****, we're ****, we'll be forever ****, and when it all goes tits up, it will be libtard remoaniacs not wishing it hard enough / some other base distraction technique ( fancy a war?! ) to distract the bell-ends who are gleefully looking forward to this shitstorm. This country is so unutterably pathetic. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It's not her way but I bet she is close to something like that.  She will inevitably die at some point soon which is unfortunate but the legacy for her will be Brexit and a country divided. 

No matter what you think of her,  this is a shame and she really doesn't deserve it.  I am a bit gutted for her.

She may be the only hope here.

She has the power but has chosen not to wield it during her lifetime to keep her above politics but when you've got a PM like Johnson who's complete lack of decency and respect for that lifetime of discipline she has to act.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Vote of No Confidence is now necessary next week, surely?

Possible outcomes:

• Current government just holds on through Labour rebels (Hoey, Mann, &c. who are then ejected from the Labour party and commit themselves to supporting the government on all matters through to 1st November) and, perhaps, some Changeists. Whether this pushes the EU to change anything or at least offer a further extension is, I think, unlikely. I think this means 'no deal' would be almost certain.
  • Current government loses by a vote or two and they get their way of a GE (as enough Labour rebels are there which won't support a temporary administration to avoid 'no deal' on Oct 31st) which will then take place on a 'People v MPs' basis but may well be called for after 31st October.

It would appear that a No 10 spokesperson is pushing the Cummings line in response to this, i.e. that if a VoNC is called and lost by the Government that they wouldn't resign, would not recommend any alternative administration and would push for a dissolution of Parliament after the 14 day period as per the FTPA.

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Agreed,  Looking at the field of play currently,  the Tories have everything covered,  can't be stopped.  They wouldn't be positioning themselves as they are otherwise I suppose.

She is the only loose cannon with maybe enough power that they can't do anything with.  I doubt it's possible unless she thinks the country is heading for an actual provable disaster that may cause irreversible damage to her Kingdom. Maybe there is a fail safe device we don't know about.  Looking at it and the fact it would be useful now, It would be mad to not have such a power as part of the Monarchy / Government split ? (Like a backstop but a word removed stop).

12 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

She has the power but has chosen not to wield it during her lifetime to keep her above politics but when you've got a PM like Johnson who's complete lack of decency and respect for that lifetime of discipline she has to act.

The Queen won't intervene. She has the power on paper, but she acts on advice of the government. She will do what No.10 tells her to do. It's a problem for Westminster to solve, and there's no point hoping the Queen is going to ride in and save things.

14 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Agreed,  Looking at the field of play currently,  the Tories have everything covered,  can't be stopped.  They wouldn't be positioning themselves as they are otherwise I suppose.

She is the only loose cannon with maybe enough power that they can't do anything with.  I doubt it's possible unless she thinks the country is heading for an actual provable disaster that may cause irreversible damage to her Kingdom. Maybe there is a fail safe device we don't know about.  Looking at it and the fact it would be useful now, It would be mad to not have such a power as part of the Monarchy / Government split ? (Like a backstop but a word removed stop).

We dont have a constitution.

It would come in super handy right now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Of course we have a constitution.

It is questionable whether a codified constitution would settle all potentialities that arise in future, unforeseen circumstances.

It is certainly a questionable take that having a codified constitution prevents constitutional crises from arising.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bercow is pissed

I think it's a mistake for him to comment publicly like that.

He may feel like that but he should let his actions when Parliament returns support the idea that he is on the side of Parliament rather than open himself up quite clearly to losing his position via losing his seat in any early GE.

If that were the result then, beyond Brexit, it would hamstring future Speakers and, as a result, the ability of future Parliaments to hold the Government to account.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I think it's a mistake for him to comment publicly like that.

He may feel like that but he should let his actions when Parliament returns support the idea that he is on the side of Parliament rather than open himself up quite clearly to losing his position via losing his seat in any early GE.

If that were the result then, beyond Brexit, it would hamstring future Speakers and, as a result, the ability of future Parliaments to hold the Government to account.

I don't disagree but it's his role to stand up for Parliament, not for the government and if he feels that Parliament is being sidelined and attacked, he needs to defend it.

But you're right about how he's done it. It will be too easy to manipulate this statement as 'Bercow is against the will of the people blabla'

• Like 1

Johnson's letter talks about the need for a new session of parliament in order to bring in legislation to help the NHS, fight crime etc.  No doubt a cut in fuel tax will be among the treats dangled before people, which may be snatched away by MPs opposing the suspension of parliament.

It is designed to lay the ground for a campaign of public vilification of any MP who tries to prevent a no-deal.  Gloves off, nasty, personally vindictive, and involving encouragement of bullying and harassment, nominally stopping short of violence but with a real danger of inciting violence.

This is something of a shift in traditional tory tactics, and it will be interesting to see how many tory MPs will feel unable to go along with this Steve Bannon inspired strategy.

46 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yes, constitutions are in principle there to guard against the tyranny of government. This lot are utter tyrants, they needs to be brought down and taken out of the frame completely. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Any chance the queen will say no, just **** get on with it and stop making this  country look like a bunch of clowns.

Oh I do hope so. It would be one of the few bright spots, the beginning of the end of our happy belief in a benevolent ruling monarch.

However, I don’t think the royal PR machine has enough capacity to deal with denying a conservative prime minister and defending prince Andrew - the only person in Britain that didn’t know his sleep over buddy was a convicted child sex trafficker.

Â