The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm really not sure why she's in the Labour Party. The best thing for her to do would be to cross the floor and join the DUP

She was installed by the blairites when they controlled the party machinery.  The local party supported the miners, opposed the poll tax, opposed the Iraq war and so on, and so when the former MP went off to be a university bod, the party was suspended and the HQ machine took over the selection process.

Just one more small milestone in the history of the blairite hollowing-out of the party.  And yet another very poor decision by that clique.

5 minutes ago, peterms said:

She was installed by the blairites when they controlled the party machinery.  The local party supported the miners, opposed the poll tax, opposed the Iraq war and so on, and so when the former MP went off to be a university bod, the party was suspended and the HQ machine took over the selection process.

Just one more small milestone in the history of the blairite hollowing-out of the party.  And yet another very poor decision by that clique.

Became an MP under Kinnock in 1989?

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Apparently someone with the interesting name of Steve Brine also resigned. 

I've literally never heard of him. 

I bet he left Theresa May with a salty taste in her mouth...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Apparently someone with the interesting name of Steve Brine also resigned. 

I've literally never heard of him. 

One of those Remainers that has toed the party line since 2016, His constituency was remain and about 15% of his voters have signed the revoke petition which may be significant for him and a number of other MPs in the coming days and weeks

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Became an MP under Kinnock in 1989?

Yes.  (The blairites did not begin when he became leader, like a tribute band.  Mandy and others had been organising very effectively for some years prior to that,  in order to secure the election of people amenable to their bidding, one of whom was Blair).

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes.  (The blairites did not begin when he became leader, like a tribute band.  Mandy and others had been organising very effectively for some years prior to that,  in order to secure the election of people amenable to their bidding, one of whom was Blair).

Seems a little far fetched tbh. Mandy didn't become Kinnock's Director of Comms until 1987 and Hoey had been contesting elections for Labour since 1983, coming very close in 1987

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Seems a little far fetched tbh. Mandy didn't become Kinnock's Director of Comms until 1987 and Hoey had been contesting elections for Labour since 1983, coming very close in 1987

Mandy was very influential even before that appointment.  He lived in that constituency at that point but took no part in any local activity (I canvassed him in 1986; smirking, he failed to confirm he would vote Labour).  He had a bigger stage to play on.

Hoey was a Southwark councillor, and was the chosen weapon for the blairite right in the Mp selection which was part of the takeover of Vauxhall clp, which in turn was part of the action against Lambeth Council.  Others were in the frame, but she was the one they went with.

Are you basing your comments on wiki or something?

Â