The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

With a promise not to extend transition past 2020 which gives no time to negotiate FTA.

There was someone on the radio this morning (can't remember who, sorry) saying that although other negotiations have taken much longer the UK is starting from a position of being fully aligned and then discussing where the divergences will be. The other FTA have been the opposite way around and so have taken much longer for that reason.

Of course time will tell, and like a high school project or the transfer window deadline, no side will really flinch until about 48 hours before the chime.

Northern Ireland just returned more nationalists than unionists to Westminster. My thoughts are with Gerry Adams 

Gerry spent his life fighting for the cause. Spent hard time in British jails securing his place in republican mythology. And then bloody Arlene Foster goes and does more for Irish Republicanism in two years than Gerry Adams ever did. Must be gutted, heart goes out to his family.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

We now get to argue for the next decade about what happens next. And it's not going to be pretty.

I'm not that sure we do or if we do argue about it, we are going to be arguing amongst ourselves.

The government passes the WAB as it was and there is no effective role for parliament to influence any trade deals and talks.

Decisions will be made by the executive without any check or balance.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not that sure we do or if we do argue about it, we are going to be arguing amongst ourselves.

The government passes the WAB as it was and there is no effective role for parliament to influence any trade deals and talks.

Decisions will be made by the executive without any check or balance.

Yes, this is right. Brexit is now like the weather; it will happen, and how it happens is not something you can influence, you just have to manage as best you can.

I suppose if something truly outrageous comes up, that unites both sides in horror, then taking to the streets remains an option. But basically we just have to watch Johnson do as he pleases. There will certainly be no resistance to anything at all from the Tory benches. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . and so it begins . . .

Is he wrong though?

I preface this by saying I’m a ‘remoaner’, but if you are in a hostile negotiation (which the government believes it is in) surely it is basic logic that you need to position yourself to be able to walk away from the table? If you are beholden to your negotiating partner then you have no real power in the negotiation. 

49 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Is he wrong though?

I preface this by saying I’m a ‘remoaner’, but if you are in a hostile negotiation (which the government believes it is in) surely it is basic logic that you need to position yourself to be able to walk away from the table? If you are beholden to your negotiating partner then you have no real power in the negotiation. 

It's an international treaty, not an advertising contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Is he wrong though?

Yes, he's wrong. I understand that he has placed a lot of political capital on leaving by the end of next year, and not extending the transition period, but at the end of the day it is a completely artificial deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

There is an issue, though:

The deadline for agreeing an extension is the one set out in the WA between the UK and the EU not anything set out by the UK in its domestic legislation (July 1st?).

If the domestic legislation prevents the UK from coming to an agreement before the deadline agreed in an international treaty then any change of mind after that deadline (due to a last minute change of heart and amendment of domestic legislation) would require the consent of the other party to the international treaty and a treaty change. I've seen comments (can't vouch for their veracity) that this wouldn't be a quick process, i.e. it's not like the A50 extension(s) which are flexible and potentially swiftly decided.

So whilst this is largely symbolic (and all of the caveats of the quoted tweets being understood), it may turn out that Johnson has rather tied his own hands from July 2nd onwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50821103

Good.  Tim Cook is an absolute rocket polisher, and if I can select one individual to suffer great loss as a result of leaving the EU he would be 15 points clear with 3 games left to play.  Prat.

FWIW , I hear  that Tim Martin is also a bit of a rocket polisher :P

Â