The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Brexit, transition and Northern Ireland

Much of the discussion about transition has focused on whether, given Johnson’s categorical refusal to countenance an extension to the transition period, the eleven months until 31 December 2020 will provide enough time for the UK and the EU to negotiate, conclude and ratify an agreement on their future relationship, particularly regarding trade.

Less attention has been paid to economically important and politically sensitive decisions required by the protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland. These need to be taken by the UK-EU Joint Committee before the protocol is set formally and fully to enter into force on 1 January 2021.

There are four sets of decisions.

A first concerns customs and the free movement of goods, particularly regarding the conditions under which goods from the rest of the UK can enter Northern Ireland after transition.

A second set of decisions concerns fish. The issue is the conditions under which fish and ‘other aquaculture products’ can enter the EU’s customs territory, which for the purposes of the Protocol includes Northern Ireland.

Third, the Joint Committee must agree the level of permissible agricultural subsidies the UK can make available to producers in Northern Ireland.

A fourth set of decisions relates to the implementation of the protocol in the UK and the ‘practical working arrangements’ for EU officials in that process. Formally, responsibility for implementation rests with the UK government.

However, EU representatives have the right to ‘be present during any of the activities’ UK authorities undertake to apply the provisions of EU law required by the protocol and the protocol’s customs and other provisions regarding the free movement of goods.

Also, the UK authorities are required to provide the EU representatives ‘upon request’ all relevant information relating to its activities; they must also carry out ‘control measures’ when requested by the EU representatives.

... rest of blog on link

I foresee potential issues for some with the fourth point.

Boris Johnson Orders Officials To Drop The Term 'Brexit' After January 31

Boris Johnson has ordered officials to drop the term “Brexit” after Britain leaves the EU on January 31, HuffPost UK has learnt.

Downing Street will also refuse to refer to the UK-EU free trade agreement to be negotiated next year as a “deal”, arguing that the prime minister’s withdrawal agreement is the Brexit deal.

Johnson is so keen to show Brexit will be “done”, as he promised in the election, that No.10’s Brexit press team will be renamed after January 31, with “Europe and economy” one new name being floated by officials.

One government source said: “Once we’re out on January 31 that’s it.

“The deal is done and after that it’s all about the future relationship.”

...rest of article on link

And there will probably be enough who will fall for it. :bang:

Just in time for us to start thinking about a trade deal with them, the US is reducing its food safety standards still further.

Two federal inspectors warned that “mystery” meat and other unwanted materials will contaminate pork throughout the U.S. under the new meat inspection rules currently being used in a pilot program, NBC News reported Monday.

Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) inspectors Anthony Vallone and Jill Mauer told NBC News that they filed whistleblower disclosure forms with the Office of Special Counsel about their concerns with the reduction of the required number of federal inspectors at plants.

"The consumer's being duped," Mauer said, adding that the meat may be more likely to contain feces, sex organs, toenails, bladders and unwanted hair. 

A pilot program for the adjusted rules for pork lines has been implemented at five plants. Five inspectors who worked at these plants talked to NBC News, while four others submitted affidavits with similar concerns. 

NBC News notes that none of the inspectors it talked to say they themselves allowed unsafe meat to pass inspection.

"If this continues across the nation, when you open your package of meat, what you're gonna get for a pathogen is gonna be a mystery," Mauer added.

Typically, seven federal inspectors check the meat for defects, but under the new rules, the required number would drop to two or three with more experience but less hands-on time with the meat. The plants’ own employees would be instructed to check the meat directly without any required federal training.

The rules would also eliminate the maximum speed of the meat lines, giving less time for inspections...

Cock au vin, anyone?

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Tories not caring about workers' rights?

nah, don't believe it

But Boris promised he wouldn't do that!

If only we had some indication that he wasn't telling the truth before the election.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Straggler said:

But Boris promised he wouldn't do that!

If only we had some indication that he wasn't telling the truth before the election.

Boris Johnson in response to the question about what should happen to politicians who lie during the election campaign during the debate on Friday 6 December 2019: 

Well, they should be made to go on their knees through the chamber of the House of Commons, scourging themselves with copies of their offending documents which claim to prove one thing and actually prove something quite different,

Parliament still has responsibility to scrutinise the Withdrawal Agreement Bill properly

The version of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill published in October gave sweeping powers to ministers to implement all aspects of the Withdrawal Agreement – this is unlikely to change. While it is not necessarily surprising that the government has opted to use delegated powers (statutory instruments) to implement the deal – not least as parts of the deal still haven't been worked out, including aspects of the Northern Ireland protocol – MPs and peers should seriously consider the implications of the use of those powers as statutory instruments receive little scrutiny in Parliament.

During the passage of the EU Withdrawal Act, MPs amended the bill to establish a ‘sifting process’ for statutory instruments amending UK law. Committees in the Commons and the Lords could recommend ‘upgrading’ the level of scrutiny from the negative to the affirmative procedure which involves a vote in both Houses before a statutory instrument becomes law.

MPs and peers should consider amending the WAB to ensure the same process applies to statutory instruments passed under the bill as well. It would, at the very least, provide a mechanism for Parliament to engage with implementation choices the government makes.

... rest of blog on link

On board with Brexit now.

We've just shut down one facility.

Yesterday morning I was told we're moving seamlessly on to shutting another. Quite a surprise, it's not two years old, but was started before Cameron's folly.

Plans for a UK state of the art ingest and cloud facility canned.

Physical kit will be headed for Spain, much of the work outsourced to a US company.

1 minute ago, Xann said:

On board with Brexit now.

We've just shut down one facility.

Yesterday morning I was told we're moving seamlessly on to shutting another. Quite a surprise, it's not two years old, but was started before Cameron's folly.

Plans for a UK state of the art ingest and cloud facility canned.

Physical kit will be headed for Spain, much of the work outsourced to a US company.

Diesel innit

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Diesel innit

My Sister's bloke is a consultant in the motor industry, that's you isn't it?

His thing is factories, establishing them.

When I first met him over 10 years ago he was working in Mexico. For the last few years it's been all about China.

2019 was a rough year with my Sis and he'd planned to retire, but I think some of the offers he's received from manufacturers seeking to move abroad are making him reconsider?

1 minute ago, Xann said:

My Sister's bloke is a consultant in the motor industry, that's you isn't it?

His thing is factories, establishing them.

When I first met him over 10 years ago he was working in Mexico. For the last few years it's been all about China.

2019 was a rough year with my Sis and he'd planned to retire, but I think some of the offers he's received from manufacturers seeking to move abroad are making him reconsider?

It was. I'm in aerospace now.

But you're right. All about China. And a lot of JLR's issues (where I used to work) recently have been the China market slowing down.

I imagine it'll be India next.

On 03/01/2020 at 11:04, Stevo985 said:

It was. I'm in aerospace now.

But you're right. All about China. And a lot of JLR's issues (where I used to work) recently have been the China market slowing down.

I imagine it'll be India next.

China has picked up again and provided to return to profit for JLR. There’s some small moves to sell more cars in India but nothing major. 
JLR is looking to reduce its complexity of powertrains and suspension variants as it’s very confusing and needless.

EU is a major concern though, absolutely need a free trade deal for cars and components otherwise I think it’s close to unviable. Saying that, sales in the US have also out stripped expectations in the last couple of quarters which is good news.

• Like 1

Â