The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Katie Hopkins is absolutely mentally ill. She is exactly like that total word removed Milo Yiannopoulos. I genuinely believe that neither of them actually 'believe' in anything, including the causes they 'promote'. They are pure sociopaths who get off on the outrage they can cause and the money that it ultimately brings them. Pure scum.

I'm not sure if there is a term for it, but its purely for financial gain ultimately. She's found an angle that works for her financially and will hold it, or adjust it to try and keep an audience and some money coming in.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

She really hasn't, it has bankrupted her

Kind of agree. She has lost several right wing "jobs" by over stepping what is allowed to be said... but she got the work by spouting shite to a specific audience.

just read this on the BBC news ticker and the thought of more negotiations made me shudder.

Jeremy Corbyn has so far refused to say whether he would back Leave or Remain in another referendum.

However, if elected PM, he says he will secure a "sensible" deal with the EU and put this to the people in another referendum, with the choice of remaining in the EU or leaving with the deal Labour negotiates.

For the love of god, no more. Pick one of the 2 we already have. Offer the public the choice to accept it or remain and be done.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

We don't have two.

Technically correct but it isn't much of a stretch to go back to the EU and say, "you know what, we prefer May's deal on the WA", they could hardly turn it down and there's be no need for talks 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Technically correct but it isn't much of a stretch to go back to the EU and say, "you know what, we prefer May's deal on the WA", they could hardly turn it down and there's be no need for talks 

Yes, If Labour got in I'd prefer they looked at what we had, then stuck it on a ballot paper alongside remain. I wish they wouldn't even pretend they could negotiate something better with the EU.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

That's possibly true but it's just as possible that they'd accept a very different approach from a different bunch, i.e. moving to something else completely on the single market and CU.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

That's possibly true but it's just as possible that they'd accept a very different approach from a different bunch, i.e. moving to something else completely on the single market and CU.

Agreed

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought we had 1 negotiated by Teresa May and another, similar but not the same deal negotiated by Boris Johnson.

No, we currently have one, the one agreed between Johnson's lot and the EU.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, If Labour got in I'd prefer they looked at what we had, then stuck it on a ballot paper alongside remain. I wish they wouldn't even pretend they could negotiate something better with the EU.

Whether it would be 'better' or not is a matter of opinion. As above, if you accept the possibility that the recent and current agreement that has been negotiated between Johnson's government and the EU can be droppped in favour of a previous, different one then it seems bizarre to rule out the possibility of a change to something different.

Going back to May's deal woulld take more than just a phone call, a nod and a wink.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Whether it would be 'better' or not is a matter of opinion. As above, if you accept the possibility that the recent and current agreement that has been negotiated between Johnson's government and the EU can be droppped in favour of a previous, different one then it seems bizarre to rule out the possibility of a change to something different.

Going back to May's deal woulld take more than just a phone call, a nod and a wink.

Both "deals" are typed up ready to go. As the EU has approved both I don't see what the difference is to them it is if a new government opted for the first or the second one? If the EU said the TM WA offer had expired then fair enough.

I know its a giant leap ahead, but it would be interesting to see how Farage handled such a scenario as he said these WA's are worse than remaining. If the options were leave with either deal or remain, would he campaign for remain?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Both "deals" are typed up ready to go. As the EU has approved both I don't see what the difference is to them it is if a new government opted for the first or the second one? If the EU said the TM WA offer had expired then fair enough.

The difference is that they reopened the Withdrawal Agreement as negotiated by May's government and renegotiated a new arrangement between them and Johnson's government.

That is the thing that is ready to go.

The May one is in the bin.

Yes, going back to the May agreement could be a possibility but I don't think that is the same as suggesting that there are two 'live' options on the table that the UK unilaterallly has a choice of (and thus could pick from and put to the electorate).

Â