The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There has been a big shift in sentiment on immigration, but not *that* big. It's a freak result that appears to have come from the question wording.

I wonder if the shift is in the main due to the front pages of several newspapers moving from daily headlines about immigrants ruining everything for everyone to concentrating on "Getting Brexit Done"?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder if the shift is in the main due to the front pages of several newspapers moving from daily headlines about immigrants ruining everything for everyone to concentrating on "Getting Brexit Done"?

@HanoiVillanhas a point, its the way the question is asked too. Ask them directly about FoM and the numbers are lower. Ask them a detailed question such as this and the numbers are much higher in favour.

Though on the flipside, the numbers have been changing either way in favour of FoM

I think your causation may be a part of the reason but not all of it

• Like 1

Whoopsie. 

To quote the last point on the thread "So the UK has, under Johnson’s deal, “escaped” EU State aid rules only in the sense in which a prisoner who has got most of his body out of his cell window but still has his foot chained to the floor can be said to have “escaped”

EU launches legal action after UK fails to nominate commission candidate

British taxpayers face paying out for a large fine after the EU launched a legal action against Boris Johnson’s government over his failure to abide by the law and nominate a candidate for the new European commission.

Despite knowing for weeks that the UK would remain in the EU beyond 31 October, when a new EU executive had been due to be in place, Downing Street failed to put someone forward to join the bloc’s 28-strong top team.

Johnson instead belatedly claimed in a letter sent on Wednesday evening that he had been unable to make an international appointment due to purdah rules ahead of the general election on 12 December.

A spokeswoman for the European commission said the UK had breached its legal obligations despite the prime minister’s repeated claims in public that he would not defy the law.

The move could ultimately see the UK government dragged to answer for itself at the European court of justice, where judges have the power to issue large fines on member states that fail to live up to EU law.

The commission spokeswoman said the UK had until 22 November “at the latest to provide their views” on its formal infringement notice.

...more

Intended all along, perhaps.

• Like 1

Also, on the EU Settlement Scheme:

If this is replicated across the board and it turns out that, instead of 3.4 million estimated EU citizens, there are 4.5 million, is there not a possibility that a future government (one elected on the back of reducing migration and with Pritti Patel as Home Secretary) might look slightly differently at the scheme once all of the numbers are in?

Having parked a good proportion of applicants on the pre-settled status, might they change the conditions by which pre-settled status can be converted to settled status?

A trade expert has suggested more than 60% of goods entering Northern Ireland from Great Britain could be subject to tariffs under the Brexit deal.

Northern Ireland would remain part of UK customs territory under the deal.

But goods entering Northern Ireland from Great Britain and deemed "at risk" of being moved on to the Republic of Ireland would be subject to EU tariffs.

The tariff could be rebated if those goods were shown to have been consumed in Northern Ireland.

Goods from non-EU countries will also be subject to the same process.

Beeb

Absolutely bonkers!

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I don't remember this in the campaigning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50511847

It was a Labour manifesto pledge in writing for years, to return Diego Garcia to its native population.

35 years ago when I was a student I marched for that very cause and people thought we were just being deliberately obscure.

The original inhabitants regularly protest across the road from Downing Street, wanting to be ‘sent back’. 

From memory, and it would fit the overall picture, it was quietly dropped as lefty none sense during the Blair years.

PA-6473241.jpg

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

From memory, and it would fit the overall picture, it was quietly dropped as lefty none sense during the Blair years.

Obviously slightly off topic but to piggy back on this:

Mark Thomas:

In which each audience forecast the future, a vote was held on which forecast was most likely to happen, we passed the bucket around and then put that money on a bet for that forecast.

Well the results are in and I have to tell you we lost loads of money. Some bets were wildly wishful (Trump to convert to Islam) some were wilfully obscure (The word omelette to become a verb). However a number of audiences predicted that Jeremy Corbyn would still be leader of the Labour Party. So the balance ended up £3923 in credit.

This leaves me with the question of what to do with the money?

Here’s the plan: The Chagos Islands are a series of islands under British colonial rule and when Mauritius became independent the UK kept the islands. The UK then kindly gave the USA use of the largest islands Diego Garcia to turn it into a military base and then expelled some 2,000 Chagosians from their home.

a group of Chagosians living in the UK have formed a national football team, which is rather wonderful. They play in CONIFA

Chagos are playing in the CONIFA World Cup in June but they are short of a few bob for their football kit and they need £5000. So I have given them the winnings. The £3923 has gone to the Chagosian Football Association for their kit. We need to raise the remainder of the money, some £1077 , so I have with permission of the CFA created badges to support them. All profits go to them and we need to raise this before the year ends.

...more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It was a Labour manifesto pledge in writing for years, to return Diego Garcia to its native population.

35 years ago when I was a student I marched for that very cause and people thought we were just being deliberately obscure.

The original inhabitants regularly protest across the road from Downing Street, wanting to be ‘sent back’. 

PA-6473241.jpg

I was more referring to the point about about our traditional allies deserting, abstaining or voting against us in the UN now that we’ve decided to leave the EU. Don’t remember it being flagged as a risk.

On 22/11/2019 at 13:54, Genie said:

I was more referring to the point about about our traditional allies deserting, abstaining or voting against us in the UN now that we’ve decided to leave the EU. Don’t remember it being flagged as a risk.

we also have  countries that won't vote for us in the Eurovision song contest , but that isn't Brexit related either  :)

• Like 1

It seems the EU attempt to tackle Multinational corporate tax avoidance has hit another blow, They proposed a new rule which would make large companies publish how much profit they make in each country and how much tax they pay. Of course Ireland amongst others blocked it. Currently corporation tax accounts for about 7%of the UK tax take Ireland has doubled in the last 5 years to 18%. Just over half of it is now paid by just 10 companies.  Another 10 countries have set themselves up to be low tax havens. 

Apple won't know where to move next. So much choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, colhint said:

It seems the EU attempt to tackle Multinational corporate tax avoidance has hit another blow, They proposed a new rule which would make large companies publish how much profit they make in each country and how much tax they pay. Of course Ireland amongst others blocked it. Currently corporation tax accounts for about 7%of the UK tax take Ireland has doubled in the last 5 years to 18%. Just over half of it is now paid by just 10 companies.  Another 10 countries have set themselves up to be low tax havens. 

Apple won't know where to move next. So much choice.

Well after brexit they will obviously want to move to the UK... sure they won't have free trade access to the rest of Europe and our corporation tax will be more than other countries but you know, we will have independence from a tyrannical union that forces us to have bendy bananas! Take that Europe! 

Edited by cyrusr

11 hours ago, colhint said:

It seems the EU attempt to tackle Multinational corporate tax avoidance has hit another blow...

Brussels: attempting to combat Corporate tax evasion.

Tory Brexit: leave the EU to avoid Brussels' attempt to combat corporate tax evasion.

You got a thanks because your initial post is a valid piece of info.

Much better than clueless pie in the sky bullshit conjecture skewed by prejudice.

Edited by Xann
Quote added

Â