Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

2 hours ago, YGabbana said:

I think the main thing has to be walking out again tbh. Not sure the banner thing will work as well

I think the opposite now mate. Despite us postponing the walkout on Sunday I don’t think the desire was there anyway. Had it have been then regardless of what we said as a group hundreds would still have walked. As it was the number that walked on 74 was in double figures.

I sensed on Sunday at the game that supporters are now angry and that doesn't equate to just walking out. I think they want to make their feelings known in a visual way that allows them to stay in the ground and make their feelings known. As soon as I saw what was happening with the lads with the banners I thought banners out on 74 was the way to go.

The reaction on social media to the idea has been phenomenal and we are relatively confident this is what supporters want. With nearly three weeks still to push it then we think this could be something special and really have an impact.

The clubs terms of ticket use specifically reference banners.  They note that unacceptable are “Abusive, offensive, racist or obscene” banners. Lerner out doesn't equate to that so it was bang out of order from the club. It is interesting to note that bed sheets or large banners aren’t actually banned. It is what is written on them that makes it an offence. I guess obstructing view could be an issue but if there are thousands holding banners up of all sizes I don’t see how that can be argued.

I did an interview on Free Radio yesterday with Tom Ross and Ian Taylor by the way. Fair play to Iain Taylor he was really supportive. It’s worth a listen.

http://www.freeradio.co.uk/football/

Click Listen Monday then listen from about 4 minutes 40 seconds for about 12 minutes.

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, YGabbana said:

I think the main thing has to be walking out again tbh. Not sure the banner thing will work as well

Except, to be fair here, you were one of those who spent all weekend telling us we had lost all momentum and to cancel the Chelsea walkout too. After Sunday, for reasons stated by Mark above, we agreed. 

There's also this; we can't do OTDO74 forever. Looking at it from the inside it had already lost momentum. 

People are wrong if they think this group was only ever about walking out on 74 minutes, it's about far more than that. We set out to assist in highlighting the systematic degradation of a wonderful football club. Reaching for change and consistently finding visual ways in which to work with and for supporters to achieve that.

We're going to continue to do that and if as it seems #BANNERSOUTON74 isn't for you, we hope you come along next time. 

• Like 2

Fair play to Tayls. I wish though he would come out and be more vocal. I don't think he perhaps realises just how much he is loved by fans and how much he could be a focal point. He has got a decent media profile and is clearly one of us. 

How many have taken banners to games before? I took one when Stan got his diagnosis, and that was checked before I went in. I'm unsure how many would be permitted entrance to the ground with anti-board banners, unless they're...something else? It has long been an ambition of mine to print off a giant FeelsBadMan.jpg and take that, but I'm not sure how many would be aware of the meme. But it'd amuse me greatly, at the very least.

feels.png

Put him in a Clarey Blue shirt, and hey presto.

On the subject, who organised stuff like the banner/flag at the last game of the season against Norwich before Lambo's appointment? That one was good.

Edited by hogso

Hope people make sure to film if/when the stewards confiscate any banners, flags, t-shirts or whatever.

If it's on film and get's on Facebook, twitter, media it will get noticed and serve almost as much purpose as it would have in the stands.

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Banners and a walkout are pretty tame considering the circumstances.

Circumstances? What circumstances? The fact we are 20th in the league. Somebody has to be.

Now I'm not for one moment saying we need to be happy about that but it's not a 'shocking' so to say circumstance. This is football.

The circumstances certainly aren't at a stage where we should be suggesting complete mayhem should a rule be enforced.

58 minutes ago, hogso said:

How many have taken banners to games before? I took one when Stan got his diagnosis, and that was checked before I went in. I'm unsure how many would be permitted entrance to the ground with anti-board banners, unless they're...something else?

I think we are going to play this that if the club start to stop people going in because they have something as inoffensive as Lerner Out on a banner (as an example) then this is wrong and we will make sure the club know they will be painted as the bad guys if they start to try and confiscate potentially thousands of banners either prior to or during the game. That has already started to happen in the media.

It will be terrible PR for the club if they continue to not allow fans the right to be heard be that vocally or visually. The right to show our disdain. The right to show how much we are hurting. We are going to put the club in a position where to stop fans displaying visual messages in the form of a banner that aren’t  "Abusive, offensive, racist or obscene” would look bang out of order. Are they really going to continue to state that a Lerner out banner is any of the aforementioned things? I mean really given the state of the club. It would be terrible PR for them and even though they have shown a total lack of respect so far I think this would be a bridge too far for them.

We can really mount up the pressure on the club in the lead up to the game. Paint them as a dictatorship and not allowing free speech. If they want to live up to the label then more fool them.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Just roll the banners up and stick them down the back of your jeans as you walk in. Or roll them up and sellotape them to your leg. Baggy jeans FTW.  I've never been patted down on the way into Villa Park, can't imagine many do.

For huge banners i'm not sure how you'd get those in. 

Whilst I love the idea of bannersouton74, I think a lot of people just won't be bothered to make one. Whereas walking out is easy. 

Edited by PieFacE

11 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Hmmm s peaceful protest that has to consider how to break rules before you even get into the stand.

Then if the authorities try to enforce the rules, there will be a massive revolt.

Yeah. Really peaceful.

Glad I'm not going. Not least for the football but also so I'm not in the slightest bit involved in this nonsense.

Never agreed with it but it's gone from being a bit pointless to damn right immature and irresponsible. All via postponing the whole thing.

Fickle and ridiculous.

lol

45 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Just roll the banners up and stick them down the back of your jeans as you walk in. Or roll them up and sellotape them to your leg. Baggy jeans FTW.  I've never been patted down on the way into Villa Park, can't imagine many do.

For huge banners i'm not sure how you'd get those in. 

Whilst I love the idea of bannersouton74, I think a lot of people just won't be bothered to make one. Whereas walking out is easy. 

We actively encourage people to do so, obviously. This is your football club after all and it should be your message to be heard. But we will also be assisting where we can. 

• Like 1

One very cheap but effective way to be visual is using rain ponchos.

Those are very cheap and can easily be written on with big letters.

They can also be organized into something bigger, like this done at a local derby in Stockholm Sweden all done in £1 rain ponchos:

HATA AIK with rain ponchos. Djurgårdens IF - aik. http://jarnkaminerna.se/bilder/#2012-09-16-djurgardens-if-solna-aik

Obviously this takes a bit more effort :)

14 minutes ago, sne said:

One very cheap but effective way to be visual is using rain ponchos.

Those are very cheap and can easily be written on with big letters.

They can also be organized into something bigger, like this done at a local derby in Stockholm Sweden all done in £1 rain ponchos:

HATA AIK with rain ponchos. Djurgårdens IF - aik. http://jarnkaminerna.se/bilder/#2012-09-16-djurgardens-if-solna-aik

Obviously this takes a bit more effort :)

And cooperation from the club. Can't see that happening, can you ;) 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

And cooperation from the club. Can't see that happening, can you ;) 

Not at that scale no.

But 9 people standing along each other with large individual letters written on them spelling "LERNER OUT" could be done.

You see it at every event where USA fans attend (although they usually just write on their torsos) 

Another idea:

Use bed sheets as the banners, with all of them using a play on words with shit, replaced by sheet, eg

We're not going to take any more sheet

We're so sheet it's unbelievable

Pack up your sheet and go Lerner.

I reckon that would look witty and get picked up on, and couldn't be deemed to be offensive.

And as somebody else mentioned, make sure there are lots and lots of videos of the stewards' actions.

• Like 1

Let's all take banners and if they aren't allowed refuse to go in. Then there will either be a big crowd with banners or a sparse crowd without. 

The sad thing is that we are going to really struggle to get the majority to join in. So many fans have become so apathetic that they will just accept what's going on without making a statement. I really wish we could do something spectacular but it will take a Herculean effort to be a success.

So, tried posting this somewhere else but am assuming that I'm allowed to do it in here though.

Instead of leaving early why not stay late? Flat out refuse to leave for a period after the game which will cause all kinds of disruption and no doubt result in a police complaint to the club, my original post on this was much longer but I can't be arsed to repeat it all.

Just seems to be a more powerful act than simply walking out early (which is essentially towing the line anyway as we're 'supposed' to go and leave, we're not 'supposed' to go and stay for a couple of hours afterwards)

Â